Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smart charger and batteries

jdsheff

Hi guys, it's been a while since my last post.

Right, what is this smart charging crap on these cars?

Iv had a 150amp alternator fitted to accommodate my new sound system setup.

I'm running 1.4kw of power and the car judders every time the bass hits.

Last time I was running 800w rms and it did the same.

Now I have seen/read/heard you can only use calcium batteries for these cars. Is this a load of bulls**t?

I have a Ford Focus 07 plate 1.8tdci.

My current draw is around 100 amps and tunes never maxed out.

Can I upgrade from front battery to a AGM style battery?  Can I unplug this smart charge cable or would I expect problems apart from a light on my dash.

In the worst case scenario, I would have to run a second battery to accommodate the current demand as this smart charging is holding back power. This is something I want to avoid as iv had a high output alternator to do this. Never had a problem with previous cars.

Kind regards. Joe

Hi Joe. Nice big powerful system you've got. Because of the high power amps you got you really do have to run a 2nd alternator and 2nd battery and a high power capacitor. Have you taken advice from a car hifi dealer? I suggest you do as they know best. I keep in touch with a guy I've known from the 80's when I did semi pro installs and even back then Big systems demanded secondary charging systems. Just so gapped not long ago I was speaking with a shop owned about his and his mates cars. His make has THREE alternators and 3 extra batteries to power his 4KW system.

It's ok and good you want a big system but you have to supply it power and without using any the car needs. Good luck pal but Do seek advice from a good car hifi shop.

Hi tazzman

I was only running maximum of 70 amp before and had the same problem with this new upgraded alternator which is 150amp. I know enough when to Warrent a second battery etc. This system what I have should easily cope but I'm 100% sure the smart charging is making my car judder.

Would me unplugging the multiplug have any effect on the car? This theoretically should make the alternator run like a normal power supply instead of it being ecu controlled.

I had a Renault Megane before with a 120 amp alt as standard. It never let me down and didn't run a second battery. This was running a kicker 1000.1 and a 4 channel. This was 150amp total fuse rating but never had a problem.

Now I'm running a Alpine M12 (100 amp fuse rating 90% efficency) and a 2 channel (25amp fuse rating). I'm running less amps but have more power from a alternator.

P.s a capacitor is a extra strain on the electrical system and can only do 1 millisecond burst of energy which need to be charged first. This isn't a battery. Its a energy storage. Not enough for a rolling bass line. It sucks power when it's been discharged. It doesn't supply or creates energy which a battery can.

I'm a member on Talk audio and budget boomers. I know people who are running 6kw systems and don't have a second alternator. They run a starter battery upfront and 2 or 3 proper audio batteries in the rear. But I'm not running enough to justify this 

My problem at the moment is the smart charging and this juddering. Spoken to afew people with systems in ford cars and they witness the same.

2 hours ago, jdsheff said:

Would me unplugging the multiplug have any effect on the car?

Don't car alternators need a 12v supply to create the field in the rotor in order to generate? The magnets in them aren't permanent.

Well Joe I'm not sure if your car being a 2007 has smart charge but I don't know. Try your post again in the Audio section within this forum and or electrical as their are some very clever and knowledgeable guys on here who'll pick up on your post and help. All the best pal.

• Like 1

All ford's since 98 have smart charge :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thanks again guys. Really appreciate it.

Looks like ford only recommend calcium batteries. So I'm going to replace the front and have a leisure battery in the rear. Hopefully this should sort it out.

Just spoken to a friends and he was running a Bosch s4 battery upfront and a leisure calcium in the rear on 8kw of power. So I'm sure this should work for me.

Kind regards joe

• Like 1

I have an s4 in my 1.8 mondeo and just put one in the inlaws 1.6 focus works spot on

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club