Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STEERING VIBRATION

fishermam

Have an issue with vibration when braking with my 2011 Focus mk2, have replaced disc / pads, tracked / balanced, new tyres,changed wheels front to back, front tyres wear very quickly on the inside....have had car checked over and no problems could be found....any advice please

did you have the tracking done on the car after the new tyres were fitted, tracking is normally the main cause of front tyres wearing out quick on the outside/inside.

• Like 1

As Andypsp says. You could also check your alloys aren't dented - this was the issue with our car, wheels were balanced, tracking checked, all to no avail. Vibration at 70mph (ish) - very frustrating, all four alloys were dented ☹️️

Tracking n balance mostly sorts this issue

if not damaged wheels.

brake discs could be worn down which is another high factor along with front bushes 

Tracking is not the only reason for steering vibration there are many factors to look at.

failing bottom ball joints can cause vibration and tyre wear as the hub moves very minutely in and out, lower arm from and rear bushes will cause vibration and tyre wear same allowing movement, suspension top mounts can cause tyre wear and vibration but with top mounts you will also get a bit of a knock, as with ball joint wear as well.

track rod end with slight wear will also give vibration as will allow whelks to wobble very slightly while in motion. Check your new tyres are not flatted in one position, new tyres can suffer with very slight de lamination in the making process bit harder to detect but a simple way is to jack up the car take of the wheels front ones that is and on a flat surface roll them slowly if good they should roll stable if internal damage will wobble side to side when rolled, if this happens take car back to tyre place and tell them above all don't let them fob you off.

paul

• 2 weeks later...

I had this on my company car for months, went through the brakes, disks, wheel balancing etc and it turned out that there was a flat spot on one of the tires, replacing the tire resolved this issue for me. Just a thought, not sure if you have tried this or not :) 

On 03/12/2016 at 11:06 PM, Cleaner said:

will allow whelks to wobble

Nothing worse than wobbly whelks :laugh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club