Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2011 MK3 Sat Nav Upgrade - SYNC displays in non-SYNC car

vibeone

Thought i would update you, i hadn't noticed the changed the V7 nav card did to my screen from the firmware update, but i appear to now have the option to pick the stations, i think this was called service but it is now reappeared as stations. The whole thing feels much more refined too and bluetooth is very stable.

20170503_115712.thumb.jpg.db169540a665df1990a4a52baa3f2202.jpg

• Like 1

Victory - that certainly looks better and if it is firmware based - great news. This project probably seems a bit pointless to most - just buy a titanium x etc - but I've enjoyed building it up myself - with you lot's help! Sadly the card has not arrived today - should be tomorrow then.

However, bit of news on the loom front.  I messaged the breakers yard I got the display from, and the guy sent me this photo...

I can't see the specific wires I need (mainly because I thought JW said they were outside of the normal loom), but I figured I could use any pin to create the wires.  Cost me £15 delivered, which seems quite a lot for a few wires, but considering the sat nav display was very cheap, I'm ok with it - the yard have been great for me! No reversing camera wiring, but I do at least have some spare connectors :D

IMG_1172.JPG

5 minutes ago, vibeone said:

Victory - that certainly looks better and if it is firmware based - great news. This project probably seems a bit pointless to most - just buy a titanium x etc - but I've enjoyed building it up myself - with you lot's help! Sadly the card has not arrived today - should be tomorrow then.

However, bit of news on the loom front.  I messaged the breakers yard I got the display from, and the guy sent me this photo...

I can't see the specific wires I need (mainly because I thought JW said they were outside of the normal loom), but I figured I could use any pin to create the wires.  Cost me £15 delivered, which seems quite a lot for a few wires, but considering the sat nav display was very cheap, I'm ok with it - the yard have been great for me! No reversing camera wiring, but I do at least have some spare connectors :D

IMG_1172.JPG

that looks exactly what you need!

• Like 1

Right... good news and bad.

Good.... We have sat nav!! It did what seemed a big update, and then, we had sat nav.  First impressions are that its actually pretty good for a built in sat nav - seems to work great, and the repeat instructions on the dash screen is cool too :)

The bad news is that despite the unit returning to DAB mode (despite saying FM, it was a dab only station playing), once I swapped bands to FM, I have lost DAB. FM / AM only at the moment.  Pressing Aux just says "Audio Muted", pressing phone also says "Audio Muted".  Park pilot has again disappeared. Until it disappeared, the DAB screen looked like your's Victory - with the multiplex and station button.  So I'm hopeful!

So at the moment, its a bit of a mess, but I'm not too worried given the fix last time seemed to be a canbus reset, but has anyone else had similar issues?

Oh! AND... despite not fitting the extra wires, I have navigation instructions coming through the Speakers.  Does that mean I don't need the loom I purchased yesterday?

EDIT: DAB and Park Pilot are back, still no bluetooth audio option on auxilary (but aux port now works). Phone button still mutes audio, but if I use voice control, which works, it will place calls and work fine.  Seems like FCDIM might need a reset though I am a bit worried now!

2 hours ago, vibeone said:

Right... good news and bad.

Good.... We have sat nav!! It did what seemed a big update, and then, we had sat nav.  First impressions are that its actually pretty good for a built in sat nav - seems to work great, and the repeat instructions on the dash screen is cool too :)

The bad news is that despite the unit returning to DAB mode (despite saying FM, it was a dab only station playing), once I swapped bands to FM, I have lost DAB. FM / AM only at the moment.  Pressing Aux just says "Audio Muted", pressing phone also says "Audio Muted".  Park pilot has again disappeared. Until it disappeared, the DAB screen looked like your's Victory - with the multiplex and station button.  So I'm hopeful!

So at the moment, its a bit of a mess, but I'm not too worried given the fix last time seemed to be a canbus reset, but has anyone else had similar issues?

Oh! AND... despite not fitting the extra wires, I have navigation instructions coming through the speakers.  Does that mean I don't need the loom I purchased yesterday?

EDIT: DAB and Park Pilot are back, still no Bluetooth audio option on auxilary (but aux port now works). Phone button still mutes audio, but if I use voice control, which works, it will place calls and work fine.  Seems like FCDIM might need a reset though I am a bit worried now!

i always lost DAB when it updated and a little while after it would come back, it does sort itself eventually, what you can do is just give the FCDIM a reset and that will sort it.

looks like you do not need the extra wires!

EDIT: just been looking through the thread. i do not think you need 214 - ICP - branded navigation ICP i think it should be the non branded as i think that refers to the sony nav buttons, you may need change it to ICP - navigation ICP if you phone button still does the mute function as thats whats set on mine so it may be mapping the buttons wrong or somehitng possible im not entirely sure just going by what my as built is.

18 minutes ago, Victory said:

i always lost DAB when it updated and a little while after it would come back, it does sort itself eventually, what you can do is just give the FCDIM a reset and that will sort it.

looks like you do not need the extra wires!

EDIT: just been looking through the thread. i do not think you need 214 - ICP - branded navigation ICP i think it should be the non branded as i think that refers to the sony nav buttons, you may need change it to ICP - navigation ICP if you phone button still does the mute function as thats whats set on mine so it may be mapping the buttons wrong or somehitng possible im not entirely sure just going by what my as built is.

You could be right actually. That does make perfect sense.  The fact that the phone works and is showing the bluetooth icon suggests it's more likely a mapping problem.  Concerned about the aux button not cycling between Aux and bluetooth, but either way, thats a brilliant place to start - thanks for the great spot! Just at work but will try asap.

Right.. resets didn't work, but pulling the screen out did!  Put it back in and we're back to normal.

the very last problem I have now is that TMC isn't working. All options are there but greyed out.  I've read that Ford have removed TMC from the latest maps and that's that.

if that's the case, I'm gonna remove the pass through as it did affect reception slightly, and if it's no longer used anyway, I'll remove. Anyone able to confirm?

Ford did remove the TMC but added it to the 2016 and 2017 maps :)  the TMC runs through the dab and iirc you need to add classic fm to one of your station pre sets

33 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Ford did remove the TMC but added it to the 2016 and 2017 maps :)  the TMC runs through the dab and iirc you need to add classic fm to one of your station pre sets

yep can confirm this works

Hmm I've added classic on both FM and DAB1 with no luck. Screenshot below. 

BTW pinpointed the dodgy buttons actually to BT/VC setup - I changed it to the nav option but this screws it up, change back to non- nav (USB connector I think it's called) and it's fine.

TMC attached.  Also the loom arrived - if anyone wants it cheap message me

IMG_1316.JPG

16 minutes ago, vibeone said:

Hmm I've added classic on both FM and DAB1 with no luck. Screenshot below. 

BTW pinpointed the dodgy buttons actually to BT/VC setup - I changed it to the nav option but this screws it up, change back to non- nav (USB connector I think it's called) and it's fine.

TMC attached.  Also the loom arrived - if anyone wants it cheap message me

yep that be it, my setting is 05 BT/VC Phone Connect + USB Connection just to confirm and

Integrated Control Panel is 05 Navigation ICP

give TMC some time i think you prob have wait for a traffic announcement etc.. should resolve soon. have you put a destination in when testing TMC?

• Like 1

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but did you take the dab fakra out of the back of the audio unit and connect it to the back of the screen and then added the extension lead from the back of the screen down to the audio unit ? 

• Like 1

Yep did that. The TMC appears to actually piggy back the dab aerial right? I'll give it some time before trying much else. So happy with the solution though!

Just to confirm btw - the service (now station) button is back :) pause button on bluetooth audio too.  It's great!

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

• Like 1

excellent looks great! 

I guess other than TMC, I'm pretty much there.  I thought I'd close up this thread but just wanted to say a final thanks to everyone who posted advice.  Especially Tezza, Victory and of course JW1982 - who has the patience of a saint.

As of the date of this post, I have a few related spares.  These may well end up on eBay and/or the for sale section here, but if anyone ends up here from google, I have the following spares:

* Ford ACM Radio Unit with DAB
* 4.2" Full colour display FCDIM and plastic fitment thingy which should be a straight swap in.
* Sony branded non-nav fascia including surround for 4.2" display (surround vents in graphite colour)
* Partial wiring loom including FCDIM and ACM connectors including 2 wires for sat nav audio, and aerial connectors.  Wiring is cut, so would need splicing.

and related:

Graphite coloured climate control surround
Graphite coloured gear gaiter and surround (some clips appear to be broken but hard to tell, outward facing pieces are mint.

Sorry to piggy back on this thread but I have a similar issue with fitting a sync v1.1 screen and head unit to a pre-sync car - sept 11 build. 

Basically, screen had broken, couldn't find compatible pre-sync screen so bought the system I have now including a later separate bluetooth module. The screen goes black as soon as l connect the wires up to the new module. 

3 issues -

I've bought the wrong bluetooth module - I'll check the module code when I'm home.

I need to connect using focccus or similar

It just won't work.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Kevh17 said:

Sorry to piggy back on this thread but I have a similar issue with fitting a sync v1.1 screen and head unit to a pre-sync car - sept 11 build. 

Basically, screen had broken, couldn't find compatible pre-sync screen so bought the system I have now including a later separate bluetooth module. The screen goes black as soon as l connect the wires up to the new module. 

3 issues -

I've bought the wrong bluetooth module - I'll check the module code when I'm home.

I need to connect using focccus or similar

It just won't work.

Thanks

I may be wrong, but i do not think you can use a sync system on a pre sync system.. are you fitting the sat nav screen or is it the 4.3" version without sat nav?

Just the 4.3" screen

26 minutes ago, Victory said:

I may be wrong, but i do not think you can use a sync system on a pre sync system.. are you fitting the sat nav screen or is it the 4.3" version without sat nav?

Just the 4.3" screen. It seems the OP has got it all working including the bluetooth but just wanted to confirm if updating the firmware would solve it or if more work is needed

13 minutes ago, Kevh17 said:

Just the 4.3" screen

Just the 4.3" screen. It seems the OP has got it all working including the bluetooth but just wanted to confirm if updating the firmware would solve it or if more work is needed

As far as i know the sync head unit cannot be put in a pre sync car.. ive just replaced my head unit as it was faulty .. i had to source a pre sync version. i am not sure on the screen whether that needs be a  presync or not.. your issue will be the head unit.. the OP upgraded to a sat nav version from a  pre sync car so not the same as you are trying to do. 

Have you tried your original system but using the new screen? i beleive that may work.. i think the wiring is all very different for the sync version.. plus myself and the OP are of opinion the pre sync was far better than the sync 1 version.

36 minutes ago, Victory said:

As far as i know the sync head unit cannot be put in a pre sync car.. ive just replaced my head unit as it was faulty .. i had to source a pre sync version. i am not sure on the screen whether that needs be a  presync or not.. your issue will be the head unit.. the OP upgraded to a sat nav version from a  pre sync car so not the same as you are trying to do. 

Have you tried your original system but using the new screen? i beleive that may work.. i think the wiring is all very different for the sync version.. plus myself and the OP are of opinion the pre sync was far better than the sync 1 version.

The v1.1 sync head unit and screen does 'work' as in radio with DAB+, cd player and steering remote controls work but no bluetooth and usb. Assumed from that I needed a newer bluetooth module from the same system and hopefully a firmware would tie it all together.

I've heard pre-sync was better in some 2ways but features such as spotify (which I use a lot at home) and bluetooth music info sounded appealing with v1.1.

I have tried using a sync 1 screen and it worked with the old system but still lost bt/usb

Edited by Kevh17

7 minutes ago, Kevh17 said:

The v1.1 sync head unit and screen does 'work' as in radio with DAB+, cd player and steering remote controls work but no bluetooth and usb. Assumed from that I needed a newer bluetooth module from the same system and hopefully a firmware would tie it all together.

I've heard pre-sync was better in some 2ways but features such as spotify (which I use a lot at home) and bluetooth music info sounded appealing with v1.1.

yes thats true but i believe bluetooth and usb will never work in a pre sync car due to the way the loom is wired.. .. theres many posts on here saying the same..

i have spoifiy control and bluetooth music info on my pre sync system...

good luck though..

37 minutes ago, Victory said:

yes thats true but i believe bluetooth and usb will never work in a pre sync car due to the way the loom is wired.. .. theres many posts on here saying the same..

i have spoifiy control and bluetooth music info on my pre sync system...

good luck though..

Thanks for confirming. I've been looking for some definite info on it since January so at least I know now. Thanks again.

@vibeone Do you have have the screen for sale still? Just to confirm it's a TFT 4.3" inch pre-sync screen?

Thanks

As far as I know, and have read, Sync screens will work.  Sync ACM's also work.  However, unless you get these super rare BT/VC+SYNC units, you will 100% kill your voice/bluetooth in a non sync car.  The BT/VC system is a nokia bluetooth module and some voice stuff.  The later headunits effectively don't have the ability to talk to this kit.

You need to find a breakers who put number plates online, stick it into ETIS and look for "Less Ford SYNC" which will be coupled with "BT/VC + USB Connection"  This is a none sync car.

Alternatively, I believe if the steering wheel is original and has 2 sets of up/down/left/right arrows on either side, with volume/phone below, its non sync.  If the right hand arrows are replaced with volume, its a sync car.

Kev, I'd have to sell the screen and ACM together I think because frankly that makes it worth more.  I apologise in part, but I had to buy them together too.  I'm also still struggling with non working TMC.  I need to check whether my spare ACM works with TMC.  I do however still have it.  It's 4.3/4.2? pre-sync full colour and I believe it also has the rear cam connector.

Victory might be able to confirm that TMC is working with his new Sony ACM?

5 minutes ago, vibeone said:

Victory might be able to confirm that TMC is working with his new Sony ACM?

yes TMC is working on the new Sony ACM

2 minutes ago, Victory said:

yes TMC is working on the new Sony ACM

Thanks.  I'm going to try a seperate TMC aerial rather than pass through.

Just to add to my earlier post for clarity.... as per JW's comments, Both the ACM and FCDIM must support BT/VC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club