Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

I'm needing some advise cos I've pulled all my hair out now lmao.

I've everything working apart from list communication with gpsm, already had a bb in so swapped for the dc, also won't read map card 

Any ideas please 

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to get the GPS working on the sync 2 in my 2013 focus i have connect the power and ground wires and then the two other was on the GPSM to the back of the sync unit in pin 16 and 17 am i missing something? thanks

Got the GPS/ maps working but couldn't seem to fix the emergency assistance malfunction error so I just disabled the nav on the sync 2 unit for now as its comes up every time you start the car.

• 1 month later...

@OverRated - Can I ask how you managed to get the GPS side of things working. I bought an adaptor harness for my 2012 focus Titanium so i could upgrade from Sync 1 no NAV to Sync 2 with NAV. I got the whole sync 2 unit fitted and have everything working as it should, bluetooth, voice control, steering wheel buttons, parking pilot and MAPS. However I cant seem to get the GPS module connected, and I am wondering if I am missing a trick? The GPS module is behind the mirror on the windscreen, and is plugged in, however I have another cable on my loom that looks the same as the factory one going into the Module, If i remove the module from the window and connect it to the loom, I get nothing,but i also get nothing using the factory cable up on the window..........

Any assistance you can share would be great 🙂

On 10/12/2023 at 4:34 PM, mikedaws1 said:

@OverRated - Can I ask how you managed to get the GPS side of things working. I bought an adaptor harness for my 2012 focus Titanium so i could upgrade from Sync 1 no NAV to Sync 2 with NAV. I got the whole sync 2 unit fitted and have everything working as it should, bluetooth, voice control, steering wheel buttons, parking pilot and MAPS. However I cant seem to get the GPS module connected, and I am wondering if I am missing a trick? The GPS module is behind the mirror on the windscreen, and is plugged in, however I have another cable on my loom that looks the same as the factory one going into the Module, If i remove the module from the window and connect it to the loom, I get nothing,but i also get nothing using the factory cable up on the window..........

Any assistance you can share would be great 🙂

The GPS works on the MS Canbus network. the GPS module needs to be connected to pins 16 and 17 on the SYNC 2 screen. Pins 16 and 17 also need connecting to the car's MS CANBUS which most people seem to take from the HVAC on the Focus. Without that it's not going to work.

Whilst these "plug and play" leads may seem like a good idea, they need to be checked that everything is wired correctly. They seldom are as previously mentioned in this thread. I made my own loom adapter using a 54 pin camera adapter lead and it worked first time.

@smartguy69

Thank you for the assistance, I have now managed to resolve the GPS issue. The GPS module mounted behind the rear view mirror was already showing in Forscan, so this was already communicating on the MS CANBUS network, I have now spliced into the HVAC blue connector behind the heater controls, and have taken this to pins 16 & 17 on the Sync 2 connector. Fired it up and away it went, very happy. 
Only small thing I seem to be experiencing is the annoying Emergency Assistant Malfunction error announcement each time the car starts. Not sure if this is something you have come across and is it linked to the Sync 2 configuration. I tried turning off the Eergency Assist in the Sync 2 settings, but this made no difference 🤯

Its not the end of the world, its still nice to have the sat nav fully operational, but any assistance on the above glitch would be greatly appreciated 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, been building up the bits to do this retrofit and as part of this I bought one of those sync 1 to sync 2 cheapo eBay harnesses just to use as to nut splice into existing wiring.. now I have all the wires and it seems mostly correct.. I’m just stumped at one thing.. which is the pins 51&52 are connected to the bigger acm connecter for the data link + and data link - rather than the FCDIM.

the rest of it seems fine, it even uses the hvac for ms can. Now, my question to you all is.. will this work or do I need to swap it? 

thanks. 

On 10/31/2023 at 5:48 PM, Foxxyblieu9 said:

hi all, been building up the bits to do this retrofit and as part of this I bought one of those sync 1 to sync 2 cheapo eBay harnesses just to use as to nut splice into existing wiring.. now I have all the wires and it seems mostly correct.. I’m just stumped at one thing.. which is the pins 51&52 are connected to the bigger acm connecter for the data link + and data link - rather than the FCDIM.

the rest of it seems fine, it even uses the hvac for ms can. Now, my question to you all is.. will this work or do I need to swap it? 

thanks. 

If I remember correctly pins 51 and 52 are not required for UK cars. The sheet shows them going to pins 6 and 12 for the FCDIM connector. Mine didn't have any pins in 6 and 12 so connection would have been pointless. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, mikedaws1 said:

@smartguy69

Thank you for the assistance, I have now managed to resolve the GPS issue. The GPS module mounted behind the rear view mirror was already showing in Forscan, so this was already communicating on the MS CANBUS network, I have now spliced into the HVAC blue connector behind the heater controls, and have taken this to pins 16 & 17 on the Sync 2 connector. Fired it up and away it went, very happy. 
Only small thing I seem to be experiencing is the annoying Emergency Assistant Malfunction error announcement each time the car starts. Not sure if this is something you have come across and is it linked to the Sync 2 configuration. I tried turning off the Eergency Assist in the Sync 2 settings, but this made no difference 🤯

Its not the end of the world, its still nice to have the sat nav fully operational, but any assistance on the above glitch would be greatly appreciated 🙂 

Good to see you sorted the GPS. With regards to the Emergency Assistance have you connected your phone to the car.

18 hours ago, smartguy69 said:

If I remember correctly pins 51 and 52 are not required for UK cars. The sheet shows them going to pins 6 and 12 for the FCDIM connector. Mine didn't have any pins in 6 and 12 so connection would have been pointless. 

Hiya, thanks for your help.

im currently midway through doing this and have got the sync system working, however I don’t have communication with MS can (shock horror) on the original post it says to tap into the grey wire which I have, and purple wire, which I don’t. I do have a purple and grey wire though.. not sure if that’s it.

8 hours ago, Foxxyblieu9 said:

Hiya, thanks for your help.

im currently midway through doing this and have got the sync system working, however I don’t have communication with MS can (shock horror) on the original post it says to tap into the grey wire which I have, and purple wire, which I don’t. I do have a purple and grey wire though.. not sure if that’s it.

Ignore this.

I’ve got the system mostly working.. no ms can yet anyway. I’m going to get an obd2 splitter and tap into that.

but for now, I’m happy it looks miles better even if it is only sync 2IMG_6178.thumb.jpeg.53bb68608d752f24353555f9eb9de591.jpegIMG_6179.thumb.jpeg.f7c1ce63899eddff792da47f618cd394.jpegIMG_6186.thumb.jpeg.a460a46786a860b28574334d3248e3dc.jpegIMG_6188.thumb.jpeg.86bd24d232a754ff25d760026eb8a82c.jpegIMG_6199.thumb.jpeg.0bdd73f0b6e54c674d85f065978b837f.jpegIMG_6206.thumb.jpeg.99288ee96fa82adc6c6b415adeb837d8.jpeg

10 hours ago, Foxxyblieu9 said:

The easiest place to take the MS can is from the heater module. If I remember rightly it's the blue plug. 

Pin 18 grey & orange on the heater module goes to pin 16 on the sync module. 

Pin 19 violet & orange on the heater module goes to 17 on the sync module.  

Obviously, this means Teeing into these wires.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

The easiest place to take the MS can is from the heater module. If I remember rightly it's the blue plug. 

Good information 👍

27 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Ah thank you.. I didn’t know what Pins they where because it’s not actually labelled on the original post.. I’ll note those down and see if I can use the rest of my wagos to tap into that.

other plan was to use an obd2 splitter

I've got the basic heater control module, so I didnt have the blue plug. I managed to find the grey & orange and violet orange wires in the big loom that passes the back of the radio space. It was difficult to splice into these due to the confined space. 

12 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Thank you.

got it 99% working this morning and navigation and turn by turn directions on the cluster work perfectly..

strangely seems like my parking sensor display has turned off overnight.. odd.

Time to get park assist on display and parking sensors then I’m all done.. till I add a camera anyway 😅

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:40 AM, Foxxyblieu9 said:

Thank you.

got it 99% working this morning and navigation and turn by turn directions on the cluster work perfectly..

strangely seems like my parking sensor display has turned off overnight.. odd.

Time to get park assist on display and parking sensors then I’m all done.. till I add a camera anyway 😅

Park pilot on screen is just one setting change on APIM. It is to do with the architecture being different from your car to sync 2.

7D0-02-02 xxxx-*xxx-xxxx - Change this to a 2 for park pilot - 5th digit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smartguy69 said:

Park pilot on screen is just one setting change on APIM. It is to do with the architecture being different from your car to sync 2.

7D0-02-02 xxxx-*xxx-xxxx - Change this to a 2 for park pilot - 5th digit.

Thank you.

i didn’t try 2 but i did try 5 & 8 on the 5th digit.. as they show for SAPPS on the F150 Spreadsheet. I take the 2 only works for front/rear PDC?

On 11/7/2023 at 2:23 PM, Foxxyblieu9 said:

Thank you.

i didn’t try 2 but i did try 5 & 8 on the 5th digit.. as they show for SAPPS on the F150 Spreadsheet. I take the 2 only works for front/rear PDC?

It shouldn't make any difference whether you have rear or front and rear for 7DO-02-02 as you are changing the architecture only. 

However, Parking Distance Control for how many sensors you have are here, third and fourth digits.

7DO-04-02   xx**

7DO-04-02   xx01 (rear sensors)

7DO-04-02   xx02 (front and rear sensors)

image.thumb.png.1397763a30af4e59034d5771c2e389a2.png

On 11/9/2023 at 11:04 AM, smartguy69 said:

It shouldn't make any difference whether you have rear or front and rear for 7DO-02-02 as you are changing the architecture only. 

However, Parking Distance Control for how many sensors you have are here, third and fourth digits.

7DO-04-02   xx**

7DO-04-02   xx01 (rear sensors)

7DO-04-02   xx02 (front and rear sensors)

image.thumb.png.1397763a30af4e59034d5771c2e389a2.png

Hiya, 

I got it working last night using some of your help and cyanlabs spreadsheet…

turns out I was making a fundamental error in my original testing.. the car has to be running for pdc to display on screen 🤦‍♂️

either way.. all working now IMG_6347.thumb.jpeg.7fd283a4dcfd7286f243cedc764bc709.jpegIMG_6348.thumb.jpeg.d3a263b3cf576ccf1e25fe1b87ed7c1b.jpeg

cyan labs sheet I used:

IMG_6339.thumb.jpeg.3e76436c8f7ff61aaff8c15d880940ea.jpegIMG_6335.thumb.jpeg.112a4e12b193e278ab3ffe910c30eb2a.jpegIMG_6333.thumb.jpeg.a97c8f4cdc6f0b5ec7b8c9211c188768.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, new here, and...2 years ago, I've tried to make this sync1 to sync3 conversion, with a "full kit" I bought on a website. We (with the seller, despite his remote assistance) never manage to make it work correctly... Bluetooh/audio never worked (he told me it was due to my ACM, we couldn't see it in Forscan, he told me "buy a new CD unit, I could program it correctly), I lost my front/rear sensors and "automatic parking" (he told me it was due to the fact I didn't have rear cam so he couldn't program the option correctly)... I asked a refund beacuse on his site it was told "everything will work, and no option loss"...

So, I have few questions here (I didn't read all the pages here...sorry in advance).

Correct me if I'm wrong but...all the parts I need for the conversion are : Sync3 screean with APIM / ACM with his plastic bracket / new USB hub / US Ford Focus Fascia (with the double swith hazard light - door lock) / fakra GPS antenna / full conversion harness (i've found a US website who sells it with as built files)... and..did I forget something?

My questions are the following : (maybe some silly questions for you)

Can I take a Sync3 screen /APIM/ACM combo on any ford (Mondeo/Kuga/etc)? (the metal screen brackets are different, but I can find the good ones)

Can I use my sync1 GPS antenna with a fakra connector adapter?

Some ACM have different references (some starts by F1BT-...others by E1BT-...), some are told "impossible to program" in Forscan...true or urban legend?

If I buy a UK instead of a French screen/APIM, will I be able to change the language in French?

How can I know if the Sync3 screen/APIM is a Nav/non Nav version? 

Is there an importance on the Manufacturing date of the Unit (difference of generation (Gen1/2/3), stability problems?

What do the "part numbers" tell about the units? (some APIM I saw are JJ5T-14G370-JNA? from a C-Max, one is JJ5T-14G370-AFC from a Kuga, ) or...what is the good part number I should buy?

How can I be sure I won't loose any option on my car? How can I find an as-built file to program correctly this Sync3?

Thanks in advance for all your answers, and sorry for this amount of questions...

20 hours ago, Gregfocus said:

Hi guys, new here, and...2 years ago, I've tried to make this sync1 to sync3 conversion, with a "full kit" I bought on a website. We (with the seller, despite his remote assistance) never manage to make it work correctly... Bluetooh/audio never worked (he told me it was due to my ACM, we couldn't see it in Forscan, he told me "buy a new CD unit, I could program it correctly), I lost my front/rear sensors and "automatic parking" (he told me it was due to the fact I didn't have rear cam so he couldn't program the option correctly)... I asked a refund beacuse on his site it was told "everything will work, and no option loss"...

So, I have few questions here (I didn't read all the pages here...sorry in advance).

Correct me if I'm wrong but...all the parts I need for the conversion are : Sync3 screean with APIM / ACM with his plastic bracket / new USB hub / US Ford Focus Fascia (with the double swith hazard light - door lock) / fakra GPS antenna / full conversion harness (i've found a US website who sells it with as built files)... and..did I forget something?

My questions are the following : (maybe some silly questions for you)

Can I take a Sync3 screen /APIM/ACM combo on any ford (Mondeo/Kuga/etc)? (the metal screen brackets are different, but I can find the good ones)

Can I use my sync1 GPS antenna with a fakra connector adapter?

Some ACM have different references (some starts by F1BT-...others by E1BT-...), some are told "impossible to program" in Forscan...true or urban legend?

If I buy a UK instead of a French screen/APIM, will I be able to change the language in French?

How can I know if the Sync3 screen/APIM is a Nav/non Nav version? 

Is there an importance on the Manufacturing date of the Unit (difference of generation (Gen1/2/3), stability problems?

What do the "part numbers" tell about the units? (some APIM I saw are JJ5T-14G370-JNA? from a C-Max, one is JJ5T-14G370-AFC from a Kuga, ) or...what is the good part number I should buy?

How can I be sure I won't loose any option on my car? How can I find an as-built file to program correctly this Sync3?

Thanks in advance for all your answers, and sorry for this amount of questions...

That guys wrong, bluetooth (afaik) is handled by the APIM not the ACM.

again, parking sensors, auto park etc is done on the configuration of the APIM. Use forscan to change this and Cyanlabs spreadsheets.

I don’t think you can use the Sync 1 Fakra.

AFAIK yes, but you shouldn’t. Buy a French one, you won’t have to pay import or anywhere near as much shipping.

I’m not sure, someone else might know but I think you’ll have to trust the seller if they say it’s nav.

I don’t think so, early ones can’t be updated to sync 3.4, bit cyanlabs has a work around for this.

I think they’ll all work, it’ll just have configuration and brackets depending on part numbers.

Cyanlabs spreadsheet, much better than the F150 one.

4 minutes ago, Foxxyblieu9 said:
  1. That guys wrong, Bluetooth (afaik) is handled by the APIM not the ACM.
  2. again, parking sensors, auto park etc is done on the configuration of the APIM. Use forscan to change this and Cyanlabs spreadsheets.
  3. I don’t think you can use the Sync 1 Fakra.
  4. AFAIK yes, but you shouldn’t. Buy a French one, you won’t have to pay import or anywhere near as much shipping.
  5. I’m not sure, someone else might know but I think you’ll have to trust the seller if they say it’s nav.
  6. I don’t think so, early ones can’t be updated to sync 3.4, bit cyanlabs has a work around for this.
  7. I think they’ll all work, it’ll just have configuration and brackets depending on part numbers.
  8. Cyanlabs spreadsheet, much better than the F150 one.

I have numbered your points to make things a bit easier.

1. The guy is partially correct because on the Focus you cannot programme the ACM which is why you need a sync 2 or 3 ACM for sync 3. You need to tell the ACM it no longer has the 4.2" screen and has the 8" touch screen. That can't be done with a Focus. The Kuga, Mondeo, Galaxy etc have a "19C107" ACM which can be programmed. When I upgraded to sync 2 I used my original sync 1 ACM but had to change one digit for bluetooth to work on the ACM. You can't do that with Focus sync 1 ACM.

2. OK. 

3. One of our Kuga members used his original sync 1 antenna but is much easier to use a new GPS. I used a second hand one from a Renault Megane which was recommended.

4. You can use a UK APIM but the country code will need changing.

5. Research will tell you if APIM has navigation. The first four digits are for the model and year. F1BT, E1BT etc relate to this. The next digits are for the actual unit itself, 14G370. I will check mine. The last 2 or 3 digits will determine if it's navigation or not. If it has the seller will show but is good to check.

6. I have an early sync 3 which came with version 3.0. It now runs 3.4 via cyanlabs.

7. Somewhere I am sure I have a set of Focus sync 3 brackets and the fascia adapter. I bought one hoping I could adapt it for the Kuga. You can't.

@Gregfocus - You can never do enough research when doing this upgrade. I don't get on here very often but you will find me here if you need any more info and there are others too who can help. The Kuga runs the same platform as the Focus.

Kuga Sync 2 & 3 Retrofit | Page 74 | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

11 minutes ago, smartguy69 said:

I have numbered your points to make things a bit easier.

1. The guy is partially correct because on the Focus you cannot programme the ACM which is why you need a sync 2 or 3 ACM for sync 3. You need to tell the ACM it no longer has the 4.2" screen and has the 8" touch screen. That can't be done with a Focus. The Kuga, Mondeo, Galaxy etc have a "19C107" ACM which can be programmed. When I upgraded to sync 2 I used my original sync 1 ACM but had to change one digit for bluetooth to work on the ACM. You can't do that with Focus sync 1 ACM.

2. OK. 

3. One of our Kuga members used his original sync 1 antenna but is much easier to use a new GPS. I used a second hand one from a Renault Megane which was recommended.

4. You can use a UK APIM but the country code will need changing.

5. Research will tell you if APIM has navigation. The first four digits are for the model and year. F1BT, E1BT etc relate to this. The next digits are for the actual unit itself, 14G370. I will check mine. The last 2 or 3 digits will determine if it's navigation or not. If it has the seller will show but is good to check.

6. I have an early sync 3 which came with version 3.0. It now runs 3.4 via cyanlabs.

7. Somewhere I am sure I have a set of Focus sync 3 brackets and the fascia adapter. I bought one hoping I could adapt it for the Kuga. You can't.

@Gregfocus - You can never do enough research when doing this upgrade. I don't get on here very often but you will find me here if you need any more info and there are others too who can help. The Kuga runs the same platform as the Focus.

Kuga Sync 2 & 3 Retrofit | Page 74 | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

Interesting, maybe I was a tad wrong but with my own (Albeit sync 2 upgrade) I managed to keep my original ACM with the fact that you won’t get traffic updates, but I find personally that this is a non issue, I’ve only used the nav once and it worked fine.

to me it wasn’t worth the upgrade because I have the Sony 9 speaker acm. I could go to a FL acm for relatively cheap but I’d be getting reduced output.

i did take a look at the KUGA acm but the price of them instantly put me off

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club