granville_focus

Ford recall - software update clutch slip 18S07

On 9/7/2018 at 2:16 PM, pcaouolte said:

Agreed. I personally would not have booked the car in for this. In my opinion it is probably best to leave it for as long as possible to increase the chance that the clutch will fail the slip test and Ford would pay for the clutch replacement.

Mine was done as part of a scheduled service at a Ford dealer. When the dealer printed the service schedule from their system there was a big note at the top with words to the effect of "Ensure software update for clutch slip 18S07 is carried out." I didn't ask for it to be done.

I have driven manual cars for over 30 years and have owned several that have done more than 100k miles without needing clutch replacements. It's pretty unlikely that I'm going to slip this one to the point of destruction.

I took mine in and the garage even sent me an email telling me the clutch was slipping and tried to charge me close to £1000 to change it. Yet they apparently carried out the software update without changing the identified slipping clutch ? This cant be right surely. 

two different things....    

a mechanical part that wears with use - exacerbated by poor design, driving type (motorways vs in town stop start) and or bad driving

software that's been enhanced to work around modern driver's lack of mechanical knowledge and or common sense

if the car had 60 k miles and is on the original clutch, this is within acceptable mileage to be worn out... normally a car's brakes will have done 2 sets of pads and a set of dics by this time... why should a clutch last significantly longer?  that said - it should with a good driver, doing mixed driving and using the handbrake to hold the car on junctions...   an idiot who doesn't know what the handbrake is for and thinks riding the clutch is acceptable and the modern craze of slipping the clutch instead of changing gear deserves all the cost, pain and suffering entailed with swapping out a component that ought to last 150k miles

My son drives a 2016 1.0 Ford Focus Zetec S which went in for the clutch recall late 2018, about 3 months later it was in the dealers having a new clutch fitted but Ford are refusing to admit it should be covered under the warranty, the car has done approximately 33000 miles. Is it feasible that within such a short space of time the clutch could fail having passed the recall ?

14 hours ago, DawnMC said:

My son drives a 2016 1.0 Ford Focus Zetec S which went in for the clutch recall late 2018, about 3 months later it was in the dealers having a new clutch fitted but Ford are refusing to admit it should be covered under the warranty, the car has done approximately 33000 miles. Is it feasible that within such a short space of time the clutch could fail having passed the recall ?

Tbf that just sounds unlucky.  It is perfectly reasonable that it could have been fine 3 months ago, the slip detection software should have alerted you to the fault after the recall was done if the clutch was bad at the time.

Is it possible your sons driving style may have accelerated the wear?  The clutches on these aren't particularly strong and can't the 'abuse' that clutches on other cars might...

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, TomsFocus said:

Tbf that just sounds unlucky.  It is perfectly reasonable that it could have been fine 3 months ago, the slip detection software should have alerted you to the fault after the recall was done if the clutch was bad at the time.

Is it possible your sons driving style may have accelerated the wear?  The clutches on these aren't particularly strong and can't the 'abuse' that clutches on other cars might...

TomsFocus I don't think its related to my son's driving he had access to one of our other cars for two years and they've done twice as many miles as the Focus with no sign of a new clutch yet. Does anyone know whether the clutch should have been checked as part of the recall and would this information be recorded ? I'm just trying to get as much information as possible to add to our complaint to Ford.

Edited by DawnMC
Spelling error

8 hours ago, DawnMC said:

TomsFocus I don't think its related to my son's driving he had access to one of our other cars for two years and they've done twice as many miles as the Focus with no sign of a new clutch yet. Does anyone know whether the clutch should have been checked as part of the recall and would this information be recorded ? I'm just trying to get as much information as possible to add to our complaint to Ford.

As I say though, the clutch on these just isn't very good.  Other cars clutches can take far more use & abuse.  That's why they've had to limit the power from the engine in this software update, because the clutch can't handle it.

The clutch would have been checked for slipping before they applied the software update.  As long as it didn't slip on that day, they will apply the update.  If it had slipped straight afterwards, a dash warning light would have come on and the engine would have gone into reduced power mode.