Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing camera Sync 3

jonah406

Do you have reversing sensors? If so fitting a reverse camera is straight forward although it does involve removing the panel on the boot. There are videos on you tube that show how to do this. It is then a case of threading the camera wire from the boot and down the rear panel to connect with the grey socket. When I fitted the camera I did not have a plug to go into the grey socket I simply spliced the wires from the camera into the green and blue wires on the grey socket - as outlined in an earlier post the video + to blue and video - to green. The camera was powered with a connection to the rear wiper motor and the negative was attached to a bolt on the rear hatch. The camera used was bought on eBay - see link - and matched original which was not easy to remove. Before actually fitting the camera I made all the connections and activated using FORScan - see earlier post for settings - to make sure everything worked. Hope this makes sense.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Direct-Fit-Rear-View-Reversing-RCA-Reverse-Camera-For-Ford-Focus-Mk3-2015-2018-/173899104972

Quick point - the RCA that comes with the camera has a red power wire - this is not the video+ wire the video+ is connected to the centre pin of the rca plug

• 2 weeks later...

I've just joined because I'm looking to fit the camera to my Mk3.5 

I've got the plug in the boot so once I've had a read of this thread I'll either come back with loads of questions or the abates will be there and I'll say thanks 👍

OK, after reading all that I'm still confused

I have the grey plug

I have rear parking sensors 

I have a march 2018 car 

I would rather fit oem kit but it seems to be impossible to find? 

If I have to fit an aftermarket camera I'd they're any guarantee that it will work? 

Thanks

Nothing in life is guaranteed!! I also considered fitting an oem camera and wiring but the cost from Ford was significant and I couldn’t find what was needed on eBay so I went down the aftermarket route and now have a reverse camera albeit without the moving guide lines. If you follow the guidance in this topic then it should work. You will however need to have, or have access to FORScan to programme the apim.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:40 PM, gselgin said:

Nothing in life is guaranteed!! I also considered fitting an oem camera and wiring but the cost from Ford was significant and I couldn’t find what was needed on eBay so I went down the aftermarket route and now have a reverse camera albeit without the moving guide lines. If you follow the guidance in this topic then it should work. You will however need to have, or have access to FORScan to programme the apim.

the oem method seems to be "plug things in" whereas the aftermarket method seems to be "chop stuff up and apply solder to various wires" lol

i'm great with the spannering side of things and even did a fair bit of wiring to my mondeo, but these ewer fangled car that require computers are outside my scope so i'll just keep on hunting 🙂
not that the instructions aren't any good you understand, they are very good indeed, but i have to do all these things while my mrs is looking as she would be very cross indeed when she found out, currently i've just swapped a few switches over when her back was turned 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a Focus Turnier MK3.5 from 2015, with front and rear sensors, but I can't find the gray plug.
Any ideas where he might be?

Tks

Hello guys,

I'm new here. I read all the 8 pages of this thread and I am still a little bit confused. I'm trying to fit a reverse camera to my car but I would like someone to summarize what I need to do.

My car is a 2018 (MK8) Ford Fiesta with SYNC 3.

My camera kit is exactly like the one on the video below (cables and all)

I have one adapter to the front of the SYNC like this one

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005001609351217.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4b3eb90azNwj9x

My questions are:

1 - Where do I connect the black and red loose wires from the camera (that the guy shows in the video)?

2 - Where do I connect both red loose wires from both ends of the yellow cable?

3 - This part confuses me. When all is connected, how does SYNC 3 knows that it has to display the image from the camera when you put on reverse?

I don't understand anything on this subject, so I'm sorry if any of these questions is dumb.

I have already fitted the camera to the boot, but as I don't understand anything about the wiring, it is just there, not working because I want to be sure of what connects with what, before starting taking things out of the car.

Thank you very much.

1 - Where do I connect the black and red loose wires from the camera (that the guy shows in the video)?

The black wire is negative - I attached this to a bolt holding the rear wiper. (Before doing so I used a volt meter to confirm that it had - 12 volts)

The red wire is for power - I soldered this to the positive supply for the rear wiper. (As with the black wire I checked to confirm a + 12 volts with ignition on)

2 - Where do I connect both red loose wires from both ends of the yellow cable?

Not used if you follow above suggestions for camera power connections. Only used if you want to supply power from somewhere in the dash. The yellow plug simply goes from the connector in rear of the sync unit to the yellow connector for the camera. Threading it from the front to the rear of the car will be fun! So it might be an idea to set everything up and test that it is working before that step.

3 - This part confuses me. When all is connected, how does SYNC 3 knows that it has to display the image from the camera when you put on reverse?

You need access to FORScan and an OBD adapter to activate the camera in the Sync 3 APIM. You can download FORScan from the website and once you have a user name get a free license that gives you access to the settings to change. The website has plenty of guidance on how to use the programme and information about how to apply for a license. It is essential that you do a copy of any settings before making a change - this should allow you to restore a module if you make a mistake. 

In FORScan you load the APIM asbuilt module and after saving a copy of the settings, as outlined earlier in this thread, change 7D0-01-01 xxxx-xxxx-xx to-xBxx-xxxx-xx don’t change the other x readings and don’t worry about the last two as these are a checksum that FORScan will automatically correct. After you write this change you should be able to use your reverse camera.

Hope above makes sense if not pm me with any questions.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’m planning to retrofit OEM reverse camera or aftermarket one. I seems don’t have the grey connector. See attached photo. As such I would like to check if someone had retrofitted on this same setup. Thanks in advance.

098D8BDA-1E71-4D0B-83DA-7696FEA4880B.jpeg

Great info across all of these pages.

I have a US spec Cmax Energi SEL with Sync 3 non Sony, non Nav, but does have rear park assist. Does anyone know if it has the gray 6 or 8 pin connector in the back? What side? I will be trying to add a factory camera and have no problem splicing but would use a harness if available. For OEM would it need the image processing module? If so what is the location? I have access to Forscan and my brother has a IDS account. He has already updated all of the modules and have Sync at ver 3.3

Also, did these cars have the option for surround view?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

• 1 month later...

Goodmorning everyone ! I need help installing the after market china reversing view camera on my Mondeo 2106 Station wagon Europe (Italy).
Under the roof on the left I found the gray connector (different in the sedan) which enters with many colored wires and exits with a few wires up to the tailgate.

1) Could you tell me which PIN or which colored wires should I use for the video? (they don't seem to me the same as the sedan)

2) An expert user I read that he connected the 12+ rear view camera to a continuous source and not to reverse, this solution would not always keep the video on the monitor active?
Thanks a lot for the help I hope to solve, I will also put some photos. Sorry for my not-fluent English.

2021-01-30 18.28-min.jpeg

2021-01-30 18.25-min.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2020 at 11:33 AM, Dojj said:

OK, after reading all that I'm still confused

I have the grey plug

I have rear parking sensors 

I have a march 2018 car 

I would rather fit oem kit but it seems to be impossible to find? 

If I have to fit an aftermarket camera I'd they're any guarantee that it will work? 

Thanks

If it helps, I'm in the same boat as you but I'm one step further ahead.

I managed to source an OEM Camera, complete with Wiring loom [from Grey plug to Camera] and correctly coloured 'finishing piece' for the tailgate, with the hole for the camera. I've tested the continuity of each pin and the wiring is all good.

It's a '16-Plate' 2016 ST3 Estate with Sync-3.

I have the Grey Plug, I have Rear-Sensors, I have OEM wiring for the camera AND the OEM Camera itself. I've programmed the APIM to 'Rear Camera Europe' using the latest ForScan and all I get is 'Camera Unavailable, Contact Your Dealer'.

Does anyone have an ideas before I fabricate some Multi-meter extensions so I can check voltage on the camera pins when I select reverse? I suspect that the camera isn't receiving power from the Grey Plug but this seems crazy because everything I have used is factory.

Any help welcomed!

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, KiwiPolish said:

Hi we have a Ford Focus Titanium 2018 1.0 Petrol ecoboost.

Im using a OEM wiring on the tailgate connected to the grey plug. I’m using a OEM camera too.

Have you managed to get it to work? I'm in exactly the same place (OEM Wiring, OEM Camera, Grey Plug, no Joy).

Hi, this is a long shot I know but I hope that someone can help. I have a Focus Estate Titanium X February 2019 model with factory fitted front and rear parking sensors but no reverse camera 🙁.

I have looked all around in the boot area and can not find the 'Grey Plug' but I did find the Park Assist Module. Does this one unit now do everthing (sensors and camera) on the 2019 model ?

I've attached some photos of what I do have. I could do with some help with this please.

Focus Estate 2019 (a).jpg

Focus Estate 2019 (b).jpg

Focus Estate 2019 (c).jpg

Focus Estate 2019 (d).jpg

looks like you have the later focus, the mk3 uses a 3 plug module where as you'rs only has two

if i get the chance i'll get a pic of mine later today so that we can compare

• Thanks 1

Hi, yes I kind of think I'm going to have to run the camera cable all the way to the front, which is not a problem. What is a big problem is once I get to the front how do I get at the connections of the head unit?

I've taken apart all types of dashboards in the past but this new Mk4 style has got me scratching my head.

I think what I should be looking for is the 54 pin connector to the APIM but I don't know where to find it

• 2 weeks later...

so coming back to this thread, this arrived yesterday, from america, for £51

No photo description available.

as you can see, it's got wires with it too 🙂

so all i need to figure out how is how to connect those wires to this that's living in the boot

May be an image of saddle-stitched leather

6 wires for both but i don't want to mess things up and, if it's possible, is that plug used anywhere else so that i can do a test fit without stripping the boot out? most of the wiring that i can see seems to relate to the earlier mk3 cars or mondeos and mines is a mk3.5 focus

thanks

Hi Dojj, \i have one of those handles with the camera, I got mine from eBay:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Direct-Fit-Rear-View-Reversing-RCA-Reverse-Camera-For-Ford-Focus-Mk3-2015-2018/173899104972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It also fits the Mk4, which is good since thats what I have. The problem I have is I don't seem to have the grey plug, or if I do have it I can't find it.

Is your car the Mk4 ?

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi Dojj, \i have one of those handles with the camera, I got mine from eBay:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Direct-Fit-Rear-View-Reversing-RCA-Reverse-Camera-For-Ford-Focus-Mk3-2015-2018/173899104972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It also fits the Mk4, which is good since thats what I have. The problem I have is I don't seem to have the grey plug, or if I do have it I can't find it.

Is your car the Mk4 ?

that's a really interesting bit of kit

it's a mk3.5 so i've got all the factory bits but no loom to plug and play

unless the colours are the same on both ends perhaps?

Sorry I can't help with the colours but you would expect them to be the same both ends.

On the Mk4 I can say that nearly all wires are the same colours at both ends, but thats because all the wires are Black !

When I took apart my tailgate to fit the camera/handel I needed to connect in to a supply, either the ingnition live to the rear wiper or as I thought would be best the switched live to the reverse light. I can tell you that there are 9 wires in the harness in the Mk4 tailgate and every last one of them is Black.

In the end I found the wire by sticking a fine needle in to each wire until Identifyed the reverse wire which of course was the last wire I tried 🤨

Good luck with your camera, lets us know how you get on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Sorry I can't help with the colours but you would expect them to be the same both ends.

On the Mk4 I can say that nearly all wires are the same colours at both ends, but thats because all the wires are Black !

When I took apart my tailgate to fit the camera/handel I needed to connect in to a supply, either the ingnition live to the rear wiper or as I thought would be best the switched live to the reverse light. I can tell you that there are 9 wires in the harness in the Mk4 tailgate and every last one of them is Black.

In the end I found the wire by sticking a fine needle in to each wire until Identifyed the reverse wire which of course was the last wire I tried 🤨

Good luck with your camera, lets us know how you get on

well, i've only got 2 black wires out of 6 so i suppose i'm lucky in that respect lol

i'm going to trawl back through this thread to see if there's some info for my application, even if it's spread out across 5 different pages

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the terrible picture (i'll try to get a better one) but the reverse camera loom turned up yesterday but the wires are different colours to the one that came with the camera

so can i still use it?

thanks

3 hours ago, Dojj said:

sorry for the terrible picture (i'll try to get a better one) but the reverse camera loom turned up yesterday but the wires are different colours to the one that came with the camera

so can i still use it?

thanks

Any reason you going OEM over 3rd party? I have a grey connector but struggled to find OEM camera for MK3. 

So got wegde type one from Aliexpress and installed in a couple of hours by running cable from back to front. 

Obviously no working lines but camera quality is very good. 

I wonder if I can swap the boot handle on mk3 for mk3.5 🤔

25 minutes ago, DaSingh said:

Any reason you going OEM over 3rd party? I have a grey connector but struggled to find OEM camera for MK3. 

So got wegde type one from Aliexpress and installed in a couple of hours by running cable from back to front. 

Obviously no working lines but camera quality is very good. 

I wonder if I can swap the boot handle on mk3 for mk3.5 🤔

i got all the stuff from the states, £50 for the camera £15 for the loom
they've got plenty over there on eBay and the like and keeping it original means not taking dash apart and the mrs making shouty noises lol

plus i get to use the original stuff like the lines etc

if there was a plug in aftermarket alternative that was better i would use that like i have for my other cars

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club