Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Fuel Economy ? 1.0 Ecoboost

HH0319

In winter with a 20km run each way to and from work with I'd say 1/4 spent in traffic jams I get 6.1l per 100km. This include some heating, window heaters and air con to help with demisting the windows. With better conditions and less need for heating etc, I get down to about 5.3l per 100km. I have had nowhere near 4l per 100km.

I had a 2014 1.0L ecoboost (sadly got stolen) but It was very cheap to run and got around 31-34 mpg doing local runs.

2 hours ago, ecoboost989 said:

I had a 2014 1.0L ecoboost (sadly got stolen) but It was very cheap to run and got around 31-34 mpg doing local runs.

Is that all? 😮  I used to get the same in a 2.0 Fiesta ST!  :laugh: 

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is that all? 😮  I used to get the same in a 2.0 Fiesta ST!  :laugh: 

Yup, mostly local runs though, never took it long distance really.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, ecoboost989 said:

Yup, mostly local runs though, never took it long distance really.

I never took the ST far either, it was too uncomfortable & impractical lol.  Even with short journeys I'm surprised anyone gets less than 40-45mpg from a 1.0 EcoBoost though.

Fortunately I had a 1.6 TDCi Focus at the same time for longer journeys, 55mpg average on that.  Did briefly have a 1.0EB Mk3 Focus but it was awful, didn't keep it long enough to do a whole tanks worth of fuel for the average.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I never took the ST far either, it was too uncomfortable & impractical lol.  Even with short journeys I'm surprised anyone gets less than 40-45mpg from a 1.0 EcoBoost though.

Fortunately I had a 1.6 TDCi Focus at the same time for longer journeys, 55mpg average on that.  Did briefly have a 1.0EB Mk3 Focus but it was awful, didn't keep it long enough to do a whole tanks worth of fuel for the average.

I can’t get above 38 in mine, but I live in Leicester which has 8 thousand million sets of traffic lights so I’m constantly stopping and starting.

45 to 46mpg from mine but not many town miles or short journeys and climate control always on auto (air con on)

• 1 year later...

I have a 69 plate 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta (100bhp) in which I'm averaging low to mid 40's on the old mpg. I do a mix of town and motorway driving and generally I do tend to drive like Miss Daisy with the odd exception where I like to check that the turbo is still working (it is). I usually always do long-ish journeys so the engine can warm up properly too. At first I was disappointed with this fuel economy - after all it doesn't differ much from a lot of larger engines which don't have turbos. Also, I have been spoilt by previously owning a diesel which at its lowest would return 60mpg. It has made me question why I bought the ecoboost, since it doesn't offer me any saving in that respect. However, I just like the whole "spirit" of the engine - the fact that something so tiny with its three-pot tinny roar can perform quite so well does raise my eyebrows and make me grin sometimes. It will have been memorable to have owned one, once I stop owning it lol

I've a lot of confusion here 😄 

well I'm from Egypt, for fuel consumption we use litre/100 km , but you use mpg

all mpg figures stated here are they in american or imperial mpg ?!! 

and does your car calculate mpg in american or imperial format ?!! If I set mine to show mpg instead of litre/100 km it gives me the american mpg, I checked that , but may be cars sold in UK has different programming .

could somebody clear things up for me ? thanks 🙂 

In the UK mpg is in imperial gallons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

In the UK mpg is in imperial gallons. 

I know that , but may be your cars are programmed to show american mpg , and may be you are not aware of that , because if I set mine to show mpg it gives me the american one.

No, programmed to imperial. My consumption showing on display pretty much matches the amount of fuel used/ replaced when filling up when converted from litres at the pump to imperial gallons . I'm referring to my partner's fiesta ecoboost,  my Mondeo and my 1.0 focus ecoboost I used to have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

No, programmed to imperial. My consumption showing on display pretty much matches the amount of fuel used/ replaced when filling up when converted from litres at the pump to imperial gallons .

ok thats great, now you cleared things up for me , thank you vey much 🙂 

It was a bit of a shock when I hired a  focus car in USA  Couldn't believe the low mpg even on a focus . Then realised there was only 3.78 litres. 

• Like 1

1.0 ecoboost focus I got more mpg than my partner's fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. In your l/100km i was getting at least 4.3l/100km in the focus, fiesta she getting 5.6l /100km. Mondeo diesel 4.1l /100km. 

Think I've converted that right. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

1.0 ecoboost focus I got more mpg than my partner's fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. In your l/100km i was getting at least 4.3l/100km in the focus, fiesta she getting 5.6l /100km. Mondeo diesel 4.1l /100km. 

Think I've converted that right. 

as you know it depends on many factors, driving style, loads carried, road condition and slope, wind conditions, quality of fuel, tire pressure, manual or auto gearbox, tire category ( eco or comfort or sport ), even the type of headlights ( halogen vs leds ) could have a marginal effect as halogen uses more power and puts more drag on the alternator, so alot of factors actually, but generally speaking 4.3 vs 5.6 is not that big difference 🙂 

highway driving I normally get around 4.5 , I once on a long trip ( 470 km ) managed to get surprisingly 3.6 ( 50-60 mph ) with very careful driving.

mine is 2019 ecoboost 100ps automatic

Thank heavens for Brexit !! long live MPG 🤣

• Haha 2

Not sure it’s related, but over last day or two I’ve seen a drop in fuel economy myself on my Mk8 fiesta active. Maybe a drop of 5-15mpg or even more possibly based on same temperature, same gear, same section of road. 

then this morning my engine management light came on and I have an issue with an exhaust sensor. Hopefully it’s an O2 sensor issue pre cat that’s throwing the ECU off and over fuelling. Have it booked in Tuesday so will be able to see if it’s just my imagination or if fuel economy rises to normal.

• 4 months later...

Hi there my cars petrol consumption has gone down drastically i regularly let the engine warm up, but for example id have 120 miles left on the tank, within 2 minutes of driving down the road, its dropped to 108miles left my total journey time is 20 mins, i did change my wheels from alloys to steelies but it cant be that bad a decision. The tyres are all pumped up but there is no slow punctures occurring so i dont know what it could be anybody had this before or heard of it? Any help would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, tinkertailor said:

my cars petrol consumption has gone down drastically

Most people are normally happy when their petrol consumption goes down. 😀

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 8:10 PM, tef89 said:

I use an Android app called Fuelio to track MPG over time.  It uses the full tank method of course.

Great free app that can produce some handy reports that will really depress you when you see the costs over the years 🙂

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kajda.fuelio&hl=en_GB

Old Post I know but thanks tef89, I have installed Fuelio today and hope it's as useful as I anticipate it being

Got to be better than jotting stuff down in forecourts and keeping receipts, hey!!

And yeah, maybe I've not needed reminding I've spent almost £150 on detailing supplies in 3 months

Can't hide from the brutal truth though!

Back to the thread, regarding mpg, I was initially disappointed my 125 ecoboost (mk7.5) achieves nowhere near the claimed mpg, but now I accept fuel consumption is probably similar to Corsa C 1.4 SXI I owned previously, and it's far more pleasant to drive, so overall I can accept it.

I also try to observe the fuel saving driving tips described on this thread - the operative word being 'try' as I can get a little carried away sometimes.

I would estimate I get 41mpg ish, taking the optimistic on board computer figures into account.

Hence why I'm trying impartial Fuelio to help calculate my real-life fuel consumption

Stage 2 41 42 mpg 30 miles round trip plus good old London traffic 👌

I averaged 29mpg on my Fiesta 2018 1.0l Turbo ecoboot. I live in London and was absolutely flooring it and mostly using 2nd gear out of 6. I was shocked as I had to fill so quick. Now i drive in 3rd and 4th whilst doing 30-40mph.

2117021353_ScreenShot2021-09-12at17_57_12.thumb.png.81264dde7f5a761e05126a1b8ce56271.png

31 minutes ago, Tim.Smith said:

I averaged 29mpg on my Fiesta 2018 1.0l Turbo ecoboot. I live in London and was absolutely flooring it and mostly using 2nd gear out of 6. I was shocked as I had to fill so quick. Now i drive in 3rd and 4th whilst doing 30-40mph.

2117021353_ScreenShot2021-09-12at17_57_12.thumb.png.81264dde7f5a761e05126a1b8ce56271.png

Consumption varies enormously depending on how and where you drive. Look at the difference between North Yorkshire and London!😀

IMG_20190724_184403.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kenny_stline said:

Stage 2 41 42 mpg 30 miles round trip plus good old London traffic 👌

So I used Fuelio, input 3 months worth of data, and am apparently getting 40mpg. Mostly to n from work 5 miles each way, low average speed) with some longer journeys, but mostly within the county.

I'm sure I can do better, and months I have - fluctuations so big I have to double check I entered data correctly.

Anyway I am considering Stage 1 remap in January, so no new components, just ramping up ecu a little see how I like it, from 125 (mk 7.5 st line) to what is it, 145?

My question Kenny_stline is, did your fuel consumption improve after remap, or get worse? I read it improves on like for like driving because car makes more of the fuel it has, but I'm not sure how many people will drive like for like.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, relative to your car, if you don't mind?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club