Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Call System Malfunction.

PLB

I've had these issues continuously since not long after buying my 2019 ST-Line X Focus in April. Wednesday will be my 6th visit to Evan's Halshaw, if it's not rectified I'm taking advice on returning the car as not fit for purpose. 

1 hour ago, Quigzz said:

I've had these issues continuously since not long after buying my 2019 ST-Line X Focus in April. Wednesday will be my 6th visit to Evan's Halshaw, if it's not rectified I'm taking advice on returning the car as not fit for purpose. 

I take it u tried fuse 11?

When I had this problem initially I tried removing fuse 11, which made the issue go away for a couple of weeks. When it did return, I tried the fuse again but this time it didn’t fix the problem, even temporarily.

The car went into the dealer and the guy who collected it said it was the second one he’d seen that week with the problem. When he dropped it back off, he didn’t know what had been done to fix it, other than that it was something ‘on the laptop’. Reading the other posts I presume this was a reset of the telematics unit but could be wrong. Unfortunately after a couple of starts the problem came back the same day. I’m now just pressing the emergency call button twice each time, which brings back the front Speakers, phone etc. Rather than taking it back to the dealer I’ll keep doing this and wait to see if a proper fix is announced.

Some people have been told it’s a software issue awaiting a fix, now Ford are telling dealers to reset the telematics unit. Has anything official come out from Ford as the dealers don’t seem to know what’s going on? As others have said, this is a safety feature so should be given some priority.

• Like 1

I read somebody say the emergency button system malfunction was caused by a patch sent by Ford to all the new built in modems

seems my modem isn’t connected.

Which would mean I can’t receive updates or Patches from Ford. 

I don’t have the malfunction...yet

Although the car was only registered beginning of October.

whats the procedure with the emergency button? 

Is it a double tap? Or press, wait then press again?

ive not had reason to press it yet.

7 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I read somebody say the emergency button system malfunction was caused by a patch sent by Ford to all the new built in modems

seems my modem isn’t connected.

Which would mean I can’t receive updates or Patches from Ford. 

I don’t have the malfunction...yet

Although the car was only registered beginning of October.

whats the procedure with the emergency button? 

Is it a double tap? Or press, wait then press again?

ive not had reason to press it yet.

Did the dealer not explain/demonstrate?

You push it to open a cover, then the actual "big red button" is underneath. It then starts a 15s countdown on the screen before it calls emergency services.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Did the dealer not explain/demonstrate?

You push it to open a cover, then the actual "big red button" is underneath. It then starts a 15s countdown on the screen before it calls emergency services.

Didn’t show me. Cheers for explaining, I know what to expect now. 

Whats your thoughts on the Ford patch being the cause of the malfunction? 

Quite possible, I can see from Etis, that my telemetry module has chimed in to check for updates from Ford servers. Not as often as Sync checks though.

7 hours ago, Mark O said:

When I had this problem initially I tried removing fuse 11, which made the issue go away for a couple of weeks. When it did return, I tried the fuse again but this time it didn’t fix the problem, even temporarily.

The car went into the dealer and the guy who collected it said it was the second one he’d seen that week with the problem. When he dropped it back off, he didn’t know what had been done to fix it, other than that it was something ‘on the laptop’. Reading the other posts I presume this was a reset of the telematics unit but could be wrong. Unfortunately after a couple of starts the problem came back the same day. I’m now just pressing the emergency call button twice each time, which brings back the front speakers, phone etc. Rather than taking it back to the dealer I’ll keep doing this and wait to see if a proper fix is announced.

Some people have been told it’s a software issue awaiting a fix, now Ford are telling dealers to reset the telematics unit. Has anything official come out from Ford as the dealers don’t seem to know what’s going on? As others have said, this is a safety feature so should be given some priority.

This is essentially the same. My Telematics reset cleared the error code and some of the symptoms, but the front Speakers and phone don't work.

Only fix is to hit the emergency button and cancel.

Not sure whether to take it back again or just keep doing this and see.

1 hour ago, GermanWolf said:

This is essentially the same. My Telematics reset cleared the error code and some of the symptoms, but the front speakers and phone don't work.

Only fix is to hit the emergency button and cancel.

Not sure whether to take it back again or just keep doing this and see.

Mines a lease car. I’ll be ****ed if I’m pressing the emergency button every journey! It’s down to all owners who have this issue to get onto the dealerships, make Ford recall 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Mines a lease car. I’ll be ****ed if I’m pressing the emergency button every journey! It’s down to all owners who have this issue to get onto the dealerships, make Ford recall 

Fair point. I'll go back to them soon.

• Like 1

Is this only a Focus issue, or is it effecting other Ford models with same system in car?

57 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Is this only a Focus issue, or is it effecting other Ford models with same system in car?

Good question. I think the mk8 fiesta has the same system 🤔 

Hey guys. Got mk4 focus ST bought brand new in August and had this problem on going since October. Had 3 resets and longest its been off is a week then back again. I'm considering returning the car and getting refund/replacement. My dealer only authorised to do resets from Ford which i think is unacceptable on a mandatory safety feature. Symptoms below

Emergency SOS malfunction

Front Speakers not working

Sensors dont work

Stereo either doesnt come on or doesn't switch off

Temperature doesnt display on stereo screen or show when changed

Display says to either start car or switch off ignition to save battery - this before even starting the car

How have people had the telematic sensor authorised for replacement?

I have a case manager allocated from Ford but getting no joy. You don't spend £35k on a car thats malfunctioning when new and just done 1k miles

I agree everyone should be contacting ford. Get this recalled and not "resets"

• Like 1

I’ve read on another thread that Ford have stopped the sale of all 1.5l focus. I’m not sure that’s true yet. 

I had all of these issues and it seemed to me the car was just loadshedding. I changed the battery to an uprated one and no problems since. Even the Stop/Start system now works on all journeys. Might be worth a try for some of you.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, recoded said:

I had all of these issues and it seemed to me the car was just loadshedding. I changed the battery to an uprated one and no problems since. Even the Stop/Start system now works on all journeys. Might be worth a try for some of you.

Did you reprogram the car to take account of the new battery size/type and if so did you manage to do it with FORScan?

I haven't had any of the problems mentioned in this thread myself probably because I make a point of taking my car for a proper run at least once a week whether I need to or not, I'm just curious and would be interested if there were any long term effects if the car was not reprogramed.

7 hours ago, recoded said:

New battery under warranty? 

16 hours ago, Tizer said:

Did you reprogram the car to take account of the new Battery size/type and if so did you manage to do it with FORScan?

I haven't had any of the problems mentioned in this thread myself probably because I make a point of taking my car for a proper run at least once a week whether I need to or not, I'm just curious and would be interested if there were any long term effects if the car was not reprogramed.

No, I didn't have to do that. I was told the battery Monitoring System would reset by itself if the car was left alone for at least 24 hours. After fitting the new battery I left the car for 48 hours to make sure. All good since. The hardest part was fitting the new battery, I had to carefully lift the Airbox out of the way to release the old battery from the tray and slide the new one in. 

14 hours ago, Alex.S said:

New battery under warranty? 

I bought the battery myself. The dealer I got the car from at first offered to reimburse me for the cost, but they've been strangely quiet since then! 

I opted for a 70ah, 760A (CCA)  EFB battery. 

• Thanks 2

The Telematics reset removed the error message and issues with the parking sensors.

However, the front Speakers and phone still don't work when the car is started.

Pressing the emergency button and cancelling does bring them back, but this has to be done before every journey so of course isn't a long term solution.

And when I do that, the Start/Stop no longer works.

Interesting comments on the battery above, and the talk of a recall. It won't be long before this wider issue gets picked up by Ford.

Mine will go back in for the 4th time soon, I bet they have no idea what to say.

Mine was in for the FordPass connect app not activating. The master tech was getting instructions from the Ford Technical department, none of which worked. 

He ended up disconnecting the battery for an hour...all working now. Fingers crossed 

i realise that’s not what this threads about but it’s another issue that seems to maybe be connected to the battery

• Like 1

Anyone had their telematic sensor reconfigured? My dealer says Ford has issued a directive saying this is a permanent fix? Want to know if anyone else has had this done before i go back for 4th time or if this is waste of time

3 hours ago, Nicz83 said:

Anyone had their telematic sensor reconfigured? My dealer says Ford has issued a directive saying this is a permanent fix? Want to know if anyone else has had this done before i go back for 4th time or if this is waste of time

I have heard that a new software update has been released for the TCU recently. Haven’t yet had a chance to see if it works or confirm if it actually exists. 

Had the TCU Reconfigured last week worked fine until yesterday. I no longer have the Emergency call system malfunction message....Great, but the front Speakers are not working again No voice control no Phone calls ..........so back to square one,.........  pressing the call assist button does bring the Speakers back on line. booking back in to dealer today...

20 hours ago, Nicz83 said:

Yes, and it didn't work.

3 hours ago, Tool said:

Had the TCU Reconfigured last week worked fine until yesterday. I no longer have the Emergency call system malfunction message....Great, but the front speakers are not working again No voice control no Phone calls ..........so back to square one,.........  pressing the call assist button does bring the speakers back on line. booking back in to dealer today...

Exactly for the same for me. I'm booked back in on Friday. The battery issue looks like it could be worth investigating.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:06 AM, recoded said:

No, I didn't have to do that. I was told the Battery Monitoring System would reset by itself if the car was left alone for at least 24 hours. After fitting the new battery I left the car for 48 hours to make sure. All good since. The hardest part was fitting the new battery, I had to carefully lift the Airbox out of the way to release the old battery from the tray and slide the new one in. 

I bought the battery myself. The dealer I got the car from at first offered to reimburse me for the cost, but they've been strangely quiet since then! 

I opted for a 70ah, 760A (CCA)  EFB battery. 

What’s the latest with the new battery

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club