Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Call System Malfunction.

PLB

1 hour ago, Biddy said:

I thought we didn't get OTA updates in the UK? 

I'm not sure where you are checking on the Ford Website. The only place I know is the Sync 3 updates and there's nothing new for me there. 

Where are you looking?

You do get certain OTA updates now in UK I'm reliably informed. Well this one you will. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, so guess I'm not getting the update. Tried to use the car for the first time in 2 weeks and it won't even open.  I'm guessing the battery has discharged to being completely flat. This even though it went for a service at the beginning of March and it said the battery was fine.

A battery shouldn't die on a car that's only 1 year old surely?

If the battery is flat after leaving for just 2 weeks then the car has a fault!

I've just left mine for 6 weeks and it opened and started on the first press of the button

• Like 1

I had also been getting the emergency call warning.  Today I went to get in my car (MK4 ST Line X) after leaving it for just over 2 weeks and the car was DEAD.  The AA came out and did a full battery test and said everything was fine.  He said it should be given a run every 2 weeks at most as the Alarm and Wireless Key Access does run the battery down quickly and it drops off like a cliff rather than slowly dying.

This car is starting to annoy me greatly !

He said it should be given a run every 2 weeks at most as the Alarm and Wireless Key Access does run the battery down quickly and it drops off like a cliff rather than slowly dying.

I'm sorry but he's talking rubbish! The systems will go into sleep mode after a relatively short time and if left for a lengthy time the keyless entry will disable. I had a Mondeo prior to my current Focus, both with keyless entry and alarm systems. I go to warmer climes for 6 weeks in the winter and so my car is left unused. Neither the Mondeo or the Focus have had any problems for the last five years! If a battery is flat after two weeks then the car has a fault, probably something is not allowing the systems to go into sleep mode.

• Like 1

I am going to be ringing ford to tell them to collect the car to get it "fixed".  Not wasting one of my breakdown call outs on a faulty car.

I'm sure battery drain is a common fault mentioned either earlier in this thread or another.

Glad I'm not the only one whose car has died after no use. Actually, no I'm not glad, also feel sorry for you. Agree, this car is becoming a joke. Had a 59 plate Mondeo for 10 years and not one problem. Thankfully our older S-Max also seems to work perfectly. This focus is seriously putting me off ever getting another Ford though.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, Biddy said:

I am going to be ringing ford to tell them to collect the car to get it "fixed".  Not wasting one of my breakdown call outs on a faulty car.

I'm sure battery drain is a common fault mentioned either earlier in this thread or another.

Glad I'm not the only one whose car has died after no use. Actually, no I'm not glad, also feel sorry for you. Agree, this car is becoming a joke. Had a 59 plate Mondeo for 10 years and not one problem. Thankfully our older S-Max also seems to work perfectly. This focus is seriously putting me off ever getting another Ford though.

I know how you feel I bought a new 1999 Focus 1.8 Zetec which I kept for 16 years then I had a new Focus Zetec S 1.6 Diesel in 2014 kept that till last October when I thought I would treat myself to a new Focus Vignale BIG MISTAKE. The Mk1 Focus was faultless apart from a Ford recall on an Aircon Wiring Harness and it did seem to eat Drop Links every 18k to 20k but they were cheap enough to replace and the Zetec S was probably one of the best cars I have ever owned and to be honest I really regret letting it go because the Vignale has been nothing but trouble from day one last October.  I never thought I would say this but after 35 years of singing their praises I have now lost faith in Ford as a brand

On the battery question, I was worried about our car with it having so little use (and also having read some dire comments on that subject in the thread),  and charged it up over a couple of days using one of these "smart" chargers that varies the rate so as not to damage the battery.    Guess what?   The auto stop/start worked for 24 hours!    As regards the main reason for this thread, since the "faulty" telephonics module on ours was replaced six weeks ago, everything has worked as it should, no Emergency Call System failures, no problems at all.    But I still don't trust it............

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a Mk4 Focus with all the same problems: Sync app not connecting, sensors making weird sound, no modem serial, emergency call system malfunction, etc. Fuse 11 reset did not help. Pressing the emergency button did not help. Ford can’t see the car as the dealer garage is closed due to lockdown. Took the car to Kwik-Fit for free battery test (after what was said above). battery is good but  Excessive Ripple detected. Apparently this means the alternator is faulty. 6 months old and a dodgy alternator and/or modem?! I only took it in for repair 3 months ago because the moon roof was rattling and the sun visor was saggy. 

Any comments? Could I reject the car under the Consumer Act? I’m sick of this unreliability for a £25k car. 

Have you checked for an update in the ford pass menu in the car? There was a recent Update released over the air (OTA) that should fix the speaker and parking sensor issues you described

On 4/29/2020 at 2:24 PM, Feta1 said:

Have you checked for an update in the ford pass menu in the car? There was a recent Update released over the air (OTA) that should fix the speaker and parking sensor issues you described

Yep, I’ve been checking for updates for weeks. For a while it just stuck on scanning (when the problems first began). But I checked again today and still no new updates. Still says current version is SYNC 3.3, Build 19052. That’s checking over WiFi. When you say OTA, do you mean via the Automatic Updates (via WiFi, as I checked), or do you mean via the modem? If it’s the modem, then that won’t work, as the about screen SYNC has a blank after modem serial number. It used to have a serial before these problems began, but since them, no serial shows up.

Hi Zimboni,

Have tried removing the fuse 11 for few minutes? This will get your modem number back.

12 hours ago, Ams said:

Hi Zimboni,

Have tried removing the fuse 11 for few minutes? This will get your modem number back.

Yeah, that’s the first thing I tried, after reading the posts on this forum. Tried it 3 times. I’d replace the fuse but I cannot find one online anywhere. It’s 3-pronged and is combined for 11 and 12. Only spares I can find are 1 or 2 pronged. 

13 hours ago, Zimboni said:

Yep, I’ve been checking for updates for weeks. For a while it just stuck on scanning (when the problems first began). But I checked again today and still no new updates. Still says current version is SYNC 3.3, Build 19052. That’s checking over WiFi. When you say OTA, do you mean via the Automatic Updates (via WiFi, as I checked), or do you mean via the modem? If it’s the modem, then that won’t work, as the about screen SYNC has a blank after modem serial number. It used to have a serial before these problems began, but since them, no serial shows up.

Don't wait for OTA mate - get a decent USB drive (8GB minimum) and just download the update onto there

If it’s a modem issue you can’t update that using a USB. Only OTA or at a dealer.

have you tried the master reset on the sync system. Sounds like the Modem isn’t talking to the sync unit. 

7 hours ago, Zimboni said:

Yeah, that’s the first thing I tried, after reading the posts on this forum. Tried it 3 times. I’d replace the fuse but I cannot find one online anywhere. It’s 3-pronged and is combined for 11 and 12. Only spares I can find are 1 or 2 pronged. 

Hi Zimboni,

The fuse is known as Micro3 Fuse. Available on amazon and eBay. Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Feta1 said:

If it’s a modem issue you can’t update that using a USB. Only OTA or at a dealer.

have you tried the master reset on the sync system. Sounds like the Modem isn’t talking to the sync unit. 

Yep, I’ve done a master reset. No difference. I reckon the modem is toast. Any idea where it’s located in the car? When you say OTA do you mean via my home WiFi (which I connected the car to) or via the modem?

2 hours ago, Ams said:

Hi Zimboni,

The fuse is known as Micro3 Fuse. Available on amazon and Ebay. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I found some. But only available in big multi-packs of 3-prongs for like £18 or singles which will take 3-4 weeks (probably from China).

9 hours ago, GermanWolf said:

Don't wait for OTA mate - get a decent USB drive (8GB minimum) and just download the update onto there

But there is no update! If I log into Ford on my laptop and check for updates, it says 3.3 is the latest version. The only place I’ve seen 3.4 available is on some Russian site. I’m not risking bricking my car with untrusted software. 

4 hours ago, Zimboni said:

But there is no update! If I log into Ford on my laptop and check for updates, it says 3.3 is the latest version. The only place I’ve seen 3.4 available is on some Russian site. I’m not risking bricking my car with untrusted software. 

Interesting. I went here: https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

Punched in my VIN, got update files and went from there. Had no issues since (they'll probably come back).

56 minutes ago, GermanWolf said:

Interesting. I went here: https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

Punched in my VIN, got update files and went from there. Had no issues since (they'll probably come back).

What version of SYNC are you running now? When I go to the site and put in my VIN, it says “Your software is already up-to-date. No action is required.”

8 hours ago, Zimboni said:

What version of SYNC are you running now? When I go to the site and put in my VIN, it says “Your software is already up-to-date. No action is required.”

I feel like it's only a patch, not a new version. I was expecting 3.4 but after the update it stayed at 3.3, just with working front Speakers & sensors.

Weird that you can't see the update. I totally get how frustrating it is and if the issue comes back I will be considering returning the car too.

As stated elsewhere 3.4 is intended for MY2020 vehicles.

What 3.3 build number do you have now.19052 should be the latest available from Ford.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club