Swearwolf

2005 2.0tdci issues

still having problems and close to just scrapping the car and moving on... still wont go over 29mpg even with boost leak repaired

starting still takes an age and throws out white/grey smoke when it finally catches and wont fire without my foot on the accelerator all the way down

glow plugs are all brand new still working, wiring is fine from them to the glow plug relay which looks clean but can it fail? as i keep getting glow plug circuit error codes on forscan

still having problems and close to just scrapping the car and moving on... still wont go over 29mpg even with boost leak repaired
starting still takes an age and throws out white/grey smoke when it finally catches and wont fire without my foot on the accelerator all the way down
glow plugs are all brand new still working, wiring is fine from them to the glow plug relay which looks clean but can it fail? as i keep getting glow plug circuit error codes on forscan
Where are you man? Jokes aside. Off you're Suffolk area you can swing by one evening and I'll run my eyes over it.

2 hours ago, bashbarnard said:
2 hours ago, Swearwolf said:

Where are you man? Jokes aside. Off you're Suffolk area you can swing by one evening and I'll run my eyes over it.

unfortunately im up in northamptonshire,, thanks though mate

Glow plug fault cleared now was loose pin in plug. Still won’t start. The plugs each get 12.3v for 7 seconds once key is turned and can hear the relay click off after 7seconds... always 7 seconds either hot or cold 

starts first flick of key rest of day after 

getting embarassing

another update. it was 9c outside this morning and went to take kids to school, car took just shy of 30 seconds to catch and fire, by far the longest its ever taken

it seemed to be cranking over too slowly to fire? as it sounded like it wanted to but didnt quite make it..

im not sure where to go now as i cleaned up all the earth connections i found etc but is it starter or battery? battery looks relatively new is 760cca 80ah yuasa thing but unsure where to go from here

Get the battery load checked is the next thing to to do, if its not cranking fast enough the fuel doesnt get delivered correctly that could be your problem. There will be a date on the battery somewhere 

Have you got access to a jump pack or even jump leads from a spare car?  If it fires easily with an extra boost then it's the battery at fault.  Batteries hate cold weather but starter coils prefer it.

Glad you've fixed the glow plug fault.  7 seconds should be more than enough to heat the plugs in the current temps, mines more like 2s at 5-10c, though they do also stay on after start-up for emissions reasons on the later cars, not sure if they will do the same on yours as it's probably a late Euro 3 model.

I'm wondering if you've got a minor fuel line leak tbh.  Sounds like it might be leaking back to the tank over night.  There's no low pressure (intank) pump on these so once the HP pump loses fuel it takes an age to draw all the air through before the fuel gets back.  That would also flatten the battery after waiting for the glow plugs and spending ages cranking over.