Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop/start.

Boonp

6 minutes ago, Incontro said:

I suspect my battery was also replaced around the 2-3 year mark, as the battery is a Varta brand one. Don't Ford batteries usually have the Ford logo on them?

S/S batteries aren't too too expensive, 115 pounds is what I've seen for mine. Guess it depends whether you make up for the price of the battery in saved fuel or not during the lifetime of the battery haha

I don’t mind if the battery needs replaced in 3 years, I’ve got 2 years 9 months of lease left. It’s sitting in heavy traffic with engine running the whole time I don’t like. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Final update after two visit to dealership the last one they had my car for 6 days they final replaced the battery and Stop/start has worked perfectly ever since 

😊

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve had the same issue with SS not working for about 2 months now.  Coincidentally, my heated rear screen has only worked a handful of times during this period.  Does anyone know if these issues are linked?  I took it into the dealership and typically the rear screen worked that day.  Therefore, dealer wouldn’t investigate the intermittent fault.  It has only worked once in the 3 weeks since.

It might be related. The screen heaters get shut down if the battery state-of-charge is low and stop start doesn't work when the state-of-charge is low.

15 hours ago, ZooropaMan said:

I’ve had the same issue with SS not working for about 2 months now.  Coincidentally, my heated rear screen has only worked a handful of times during this period.  Does anyone know if these issues are linked?  I took it into the dealership and typically the rear screen worked that day.  Therefore, dealer wouldn’t investigate the intermittent fault.  It has only worked once in the 3 weeks since.

Definitely linked. What kind of journeys do you do? Typically short journeys?

I know I'm hammering my car by doing only short journeys with stuff like the heated steering wheel, seats, and windscreen on all the time, but I try and give it a good run every other weekend and everything seems good so far.

3 hours ago, karlbbb said:

I know I'm hammering my car by doing only short journeys with stuff like the heated steering wheel, seats, and windscreen on all the time, but I try and give it a good run every other weekend and everything seems good so far.

Yes, mainly short journeys but it’s strange that everything else works, such as heated seats but rear heated screen only seems to work randomly.

3 hours ago, ZooropaMan said:

Yes, mainly short journeys but it’s strange that everything else works, such as heated seats but rear heated screen only seems to work randomly.

those features are useful, hence they continue to work, the pointless start stop is why the battery is struggling, so the system turns of the useless feature... as you ought to do in software permanently if you want the car to make it past year 4

6 hours ago, karlbbb said:

I only do short journeys, I don’t see it as hammering the car at all. I’ve seen a lot of opinions on here for taking the car a good run regularly, I disagree. Modern day batteries should charge up very quickly allowing all the features to work.

6 minutes ago, Botus said:

those features are useful, hence they continue to work, the pointless start stop is why the battery is struggling, so the system turns of the useless feature... as you ought to do in software permanently if you want the car to make it past year 4

I’m not too fussed about the start stop but the heated rear window only working intermittently is a pain....especially when reversing.

57 minutes ago, ZooropaMan said:

I’m not too fussed about the start stop but the heated rear window only working intermittently is a pain....especially when reversing.

Dangerous in this weather . Any properly qualified mechanic could soon test for that. 

20 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I only do short journeys, I don’t see it as hammering the car at all. I’ve seen a lot of opinions on here for taking the car a good run regularly, I disagree. Modern day batteries should charge up very quickly allowing all the features to work.

Sorry, perhaps should have said "hammering the battery", but point taken on modern batteries.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ZooropaMan said:

I didn't read in that post the rear screen is intermittent?

on many modern cars they auto switch off after 15 minutes as that's enough to get the ice off it, if you need it more than that, have you been driving with the AC off ?  always leave it on all year round and disable start stop (as that will make things worse re condensation).

2 hours ago, Botus said:

on many modern cars they auto switch off after 15 minutes as that's enough to get the ice off it

On our cars it's ony the front screen that's on a timer and that's because of the very heavy electrical load. The rear screen is a much lighter load and will normally stay on until an ignition cycle.

mk2.5 both turn themselves off on my one... in fact its a zetec climate, they both turn themselves on if its cold and the red frost things lit up

page 134 of the manual.... on both the front and rear heated screens, it separately states

"the heating system switches off automatically after a short period of time"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club