Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

I do like viewing a car of my childhood and ending up committing to buy it and giving a deposit...  I only really intended to view it out of curiosity as I hadn't seen one in the flesh since we sold ours in 2005, but after seeing and hearing that turbo diesel I knew I couldn't leave without buying it.  Our first model was a c. 1990 405 1.6 petrol when I was very young, the second a 1994 405 GLX 1.9 turbo diesel, and this is a 1996 405 Quasar 1.9 turbo diesel.  All have been saloons (the estate model never appealed to me and looked outdated compared to Volvo and Ford's offerings at the time).

Of course, we cannot have three cars (as nice as it would be) as it is just not financially feasible, so one will have to go.  The initial thought was to sell the Primera, but it turns out my mother has grown rather fond of it and refuses to part with it.  In that case, the Fiat will be the car to sacrifice - which is a shame after only a few weeks but at the end of the day - the XUD9 (1.9 turbo diesel) gets the same fuel mileage, won't be much higher to insure for me as a new driver (surprisingly), and is a car I've always wanted to get my hands on.  A Fiat Punto, as nice as it is, was never a "dream car".  It would last a year or two before the already-present corrosion took hold, whereas the 405 is a classic that will be with me for 20+ years if it is maintained (as it has been to date).

Just got to get things in order now (sell the Fiat and wait for my salary to cover the remainder) and by the end of the month this will be sitting outside...

WP_20160214_12_33_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.87648

• Like 1

Brandy and I had a long walk taking in the Purbeck and Wareham forest in the sunshine. :smile: It was quite warm but it would've have been warmer still if there hadn't been a stiff north easterly wind.  I lost sensation in my ears after about 20 minutes and that was with a hat on.

We encountered a local husky sled event in Wareham forest.  The sleds had wheels on rather the traditional skis.  Brandy sniffed some huskies: some huskies sniffed Brandy back.  Apparently every Sunday they race there and in various forests around the country, husky sled racing is an established sport, that's not widely known about

Moments after getting back, a Transit pulled into my drive, I didn't recognise the van nor it's driver.  I was expecting it to be a mistake with the address.

It turns out, it was the book I ordered last night from a bookshop in Swindon!  :smile:I hadn't ordered it with next day delivery but left it as 3-5 working day delivery.  It appears that the bookshop is connected to Amazon: hence the blisteringly fast delivery, and on a Sunday too. 

39 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I do like viewing a car of my childhood and ending up committing to buy it and giving a deposit...  I only really intended to view it out of curiosity as I hadn't seen one in the flesh since we sold ours in 2005, but after seeing and hearing that turbo diesel I knew I couldn't leave without buying it.  Our first model was a c. 1990 405 1.6 petrol when I was very young, the second a 1994 405 GLX 1.9 turbo diesel, and this is a 1996 405 Quasar 1.9 turbo diesel.  All have been saloons (the estate model never appealed to me and looked outdated compared to Volvo and Ford's offerings at the time).

Of course, we cannot have three cars (as nice as it would be) as it is just not financially feasible, so one will have to go.  The initial thought was to sell the Primera, but it turns out my mother has grown rather fond of it and refuses to part with it.  In that case, the Fiat will be the car to sacrifice - which is a shame after only a few weeks but at the end of the day - the XUD9 (1.9 turbo diesel) gets the same fuel mileage, won't be much higher to insure for me as a new driver (surprisingly), and is a car I've always wanted to get my hands on.  A Fiat Punto, as nice as it is, was never a "dream car".  It would last a year or two before the already-present corrosion took hold, whereas the 405 is a classic that will be with me for 20+ years if it is maintained (as it has been to date).

Just got to get things in order now (sell the Fiat and wait for my salary to cover the remainder) and by the end of the month this will be sitting outside...

WP_20160214_12_33_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.87648

If you haven't got one, I've got a copy of the Peugeot EPC and TIS which covers the everything Peugeot wise up to 2004, (I think), on a DVD, if you would like it Jamie?:smile:

• Like 1

I went to my first bible bashing event today, it was actually alright, the old gangsters were friendly & it wasn't as awkward as we thought it would be.  1 down 2 left to go, Cheryl thinks it would be good for me to go bible bashing as it might help my thought processes.  Who knows, it's definitely something to consider doing.  Other things on today's like list is... Homemade Apple crumble by none other than ma sen.   

23 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

I went to my first bible bashing event today, it was actually alright, the old gangsters were friendly & it wasn't as awkward as we thought it would be.  1 down 2 left to go, Cheryl thinks it would be good for me to go bible bashing as it might help my thought processes.  Who knows, it's definitely something to consider doing.  Other things on today's like list is... Homemade Apple crumble by none other than ma sen.   

Bible bashing?

He's got religion ⛪️

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

Just now, Philf1 said:

He's got religion ⛪️

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

Oh, so it means going to church?  I would have thought Bible "bashing" would be the opposite. 

No I've got to go church for 3 weeks to get our wedding bands read out but as I work every other Sunday I have to go for 3 consecutive fortnights.  Might carry it on after that as well.  I've always known a church goer as a bible basher

No I've got to go church for 3 weeks to get our wedding bands read out but as I work every other Sunday I have to go for 3 consecutive fortnights.  Might carry it on after that as well.  I've always known a church goer as a bible basher

Our rev was a decent bloke actually, every time we've been back at the outlaws place we've tried to go and catch a service on the weekend. I think it's a bit of a respectful touch, plus because he's a young guy he tries to put a modern twist on stuff...

Just now, Ianb said:

Our rev was a decent bloke actually, every time we've been back at the outlaws place we've tried to go and catch a service on the weekend. I think it's a bit of a respectful touch, plus because he's a young guy he tries to put a modern twist on stuff...

The vicar that is doing our wedding, did mine & Amelia's christening, young(30's) welsh bloke, doesn't care lol he's funny.  He doesn't make it awkward either, which is what we like.  I think your right as it doesn't just look like your using the church to get wedded,

I've been performing a sort of car ballet to get the wheelie bin out and position the Focus to work on it, when I've a moment.  Not unlike one of those slider puzzles:laugh:

The wheelie bin is beginning to hum with a fortnight's worth of bagged poo from everyone.  Although it's not more than a third full, two bags of non-recycling and a myriad of poo bags

Move the Mk1 Focus on the road, reverse the Mk 2 Focus in a big arc on the gravel part of the drive and position on the furthest edge.  See if the Astra will start, which it did with the jump start first time, reverse it all the way down to the bottom, but not on to the road as it's SORN.  Go and get the bin out, wheel down the drive and up on to the path leading to the front door.  Move the Astra forwards about 4 metres next to the wheelie bin.  Move the Mk2 Focus down to the bottom of the drive at 30° to the fence.  Reverse the Astra in tight long arc on to the gravel part of the drive, next to the path with wheelie bin.  Move the Mk2 Focus in a wide arc, forwards up the drive to take up the position the Astra used to have, in front of the garage.  Repeat the forward arc manoeuvre with the Astra, putting in front of the gates, halfway up the drive. Finally reverse the Mk1 focus back into the drive on the gravel and walk the wheelie bin down to end of the drive.

I'll probably have to move the Astra tomorrow to get the empty bin back, as the space between it and the wall is too walk the bin.  I could carry it on balanced on my head like they do in various African states.  It's a bit risky to carry it like that when there's a fortnight of poo bags in it.

2 hours ago, Preecematt said:

I was raised in a bible bashing environment, unfortunately it was the happy clappy variant of bible bashing:rolleyes: that was rife in the late 1960-1980's amongst the evangelical wings of numerous non-conformer denominations:sad:

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Oh, so it means going to church?  I would have thought Bible "bashing" would be the opposite. 

I think the phrase actually came from the actions in the pulpit of vicar, wildly gesticulating and thumping his bible for emphasis

My ST boost pod/gauge has come a day earlier than expected.  Yayyy!!!!  I also like my work rota has changed so now out of a possible 21 milkings a week... I'm doing 1 & even that's the shortest one.  Yippeeee, I'm now on calf rearing for a little bit, so hopefully I can shine at that as well.  Although not if today's performance is to go by

• Like 2

I like the fact that although I still feel like swearing at the customers (but what's new there!), I actually have a wee bit of confidence in my job now...  Hopefully it can grow and I'll be good at it before too long.  I'll never get my head around the complex stuff (codes etc...) but if I can do the basics then that's good enough for me.  Floor support is there for a reason - to support idiots like me :laugh:

• Like 2

I do like that my Gates Powerdrive V-belt kit has arrived a week early from the factor's quoted time:smile:

Disproportionately huge box though for a belt, some pulleys and the adjuster, clearly Gates believe in over-packing.  

I also like I can scan to USB directly from the Workcentre and not have to scan to the network and then which PC I happen to be using.  I've not used that before, it's much quicker with heavy resolution/high detail images :smile:

I do like selling the Punto (for substantially more than I paid for it), sending £250 of it to the Peugeot owner to secure the sale so he'll keep it until I can collect on the 27th, having another good driving lesson and having tomorrow off work! 

Once we get the 405 I need to start driving in between lessons though, as I can learn the basics and practice to an extent during the lessons, but what is really required is going out on a Sunday afternoon and spending a few hours going over what I've been taught.  I think you learn more (once you know the basics) in your own car, without the feeling of "this is £25 per hour" and not being so up tight about driving someone elses car.  I know what I need to do, so it's just taking the time to get more acquainted with it in a relaxed environment.

I totally agree...but not on a Sunday afternoon unless you want 3 hours of overtaking old people and cyclists... :laugh:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I totally agree...but not on a Sunday afternoon unless you want 3 hours of overtaking old people and cyclists... :laugh:

It's Wednesday morning rather than Sunday afternoon down here, when the elderly claim the streets, mainly in white Honda Civics:laugh:

Whereas, Sunday afternoon is when the world, his wife, his three ex's his 14 children and his 147 grandchildren are to be found in and around all the major supermarkets

• Like 2

When I was in Fleetwood, it was like that all day, every day in Asda lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GMX said:

It's Wednesday morning rather than Sunday afternoon down here, when the elderly claim the streets, mainly in white Honda Civics:laugh:

Whereas, Sunday afternoon is when the world, his wife, his three ex's his 14 children and his 147 grandchildren are to be found in and around all the major supermarkets

Unfortunately, you are right.  I wish we could go back to the days where everything was closed on the Sabbath day. 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

True...  Whilst the XUD9 is more than capable of overtaking (and covering the "offender" in black diesel soot) I don't think it's a habit I should get into before my test!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Unfortunately, you are right.  I wish we could go back to the days where everything was closed on the Sabbath day. 

Don't they still do that on Orkney the Shetlands and the outer Scottish Isles? 

I'm sure a mate whose brother resides on one of them said, the outer Scottish Isles are like the mainland was a century ago, with their trading hours.

I do like the use of the word "shortly" which implies almost immediately, in an email from supplier.  Although I doubt that it will come in the next 10 minutes:laugh:

"...Your order has been dispatched today and you should expect delivery shortly. :lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GMX said:

I do like the use of the word "shortly" which implies almost immediately, in an email from supplier.  Although I doubt that it will come in the next 10 minutes:laugh:

"...Your order has been dispatched today and you should expect delivery shortly. :lol:

Is it Royal Mail or a courier?

I do like that even in todays modern society you do still get some genuine nice people that think of other people, not very often you see/experience that in these days.  I also like that I'm currently feeling ambitious despite my post in the I don't like thread

• Like 2

I do like that's it now stopped raining, Brandy and I can have a dry stroll tonight: rather than a soggy one.  The forecast for tomorrow is bright and sunny all day:smile:

Having spent the last hour or so, discussing the 'nightmare of problem which is going to be costly' I've alluded to twice on the "I don't like" thread without giving specifics. The way forward is now clear, in what order to act, who to appoint and whilst it may take years to resolve, resolution will inevitably occur in our favour:smile:  And we will get our costs back:smile:

I've also discovered who Meso are, Transit Parts Uk's own shop brand, no closer to who makes them though.  Think I'll stick with Gates or OE though:smile:

15 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Is it Royal Mail or a courier?

Royal Mail, they've got Royal Mail for items under 10Kg (which it is) and UPS for over.

I do like it's completely dry and windless for Brandy's evening stroll.  It's completely cloudless too, like it was all day:smile:

On 17/02/2016 at 7:06 PM, GMX said:

I didn't arrive today, so "shortly" was perhaps bit too optimistic on the suppliers part.

"...Your order has been dispatched today and you should expect delivery in the future. " might have been more fitting:lol1:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club