Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 focus driver door stuck.

Kerrino

Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 2009 focus and the drivers door is stuck, the fob won't work either. I have the car unlocked so I can get inside but the fob won't reset and when I put the key in the drivers side door it turns but nothing happens. 

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? With this being my first car I don't want to take it to a garage with no clue and get ripped off. 

Thanks for any help in advance 

mmm... so, in 9 days, you've been locked out of your new car? Gosh, you're very patient! 😀

I sorted the first problem of being completely locked out of the car and got someone to get me inside using the back window winder. 

Managed to unlock the passanger doors and boot but I still have these problems. 

I have patience with it because I'm a learner driver still so its only stopping me from getting a little more practice for the time being. 

Called around garages for a few quotes but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience before taking it in. 

1 hour ago, Kerrino said:

Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 2009 focus and the drivers door is stuck, the fob won't work either. I have the car unlocked so I can get inside but the fob won't reset and when I put the key in the drivers side door it turns but nothing happens. 

When you put the key in, you say 'nothing happens'. When your twist it clockwise, or, counter clockwise, can you feel any mechanical resistance, or does it feel as if it's connected to nothing? Does the key when placed into the ignition, allow you to start the engine? When you bought the car to various garages for quotes, did they not give you any idea of what the fault may be? Does the front passenger door lock/unlock with the key?

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

When you put the key in, you say 'nothing happens'. When your twist it clockwise, or, counter clockwise, can you feel any mechanical resistance, or does it feel as if it's connected to nothing? Does the key when placed into the ignition, allow you to start the engine? When you bought the car to various garages for quotes, did they not give you any idea of what the fault may be? Does the front passenger door lock/unlock with the key?

Thanks for helping so when I put the key in and turn counter clockwise I I feel heavy resistance and clockwise feels like what I would expect. 

The key in the ignition turns the car on and I have tired resetting the key fob with the ignition on and off method. 

The only manual lock is on the drivers side door. 

Did the keyfob ever work, or was it faulty when you got the car?

Faulty when I got the car, it is the correct fob. I was given the car by a family member who told me it had these problems but they got a new car before taking it to be fixed. 

With the 'resistance' you feel on turning the key, that to me indicated something broken within the locking mechanism itself. I've never worked on your model car, but previous cars where I have, the 'remote' locking all pins from the driver door, and if that is b*ggered, well, nothing works. Also, if it has been tried numerous times when broken, it's possible that the remote locking relay could have burned out as well in not being allowed to operate properly.

Of course, as with most 'internet' advice, I could be talking b*llox... I'm hoping another member here can give you some proper advice.

In terms of not getting ripped off by a garage, try and get one from a personal recommendation rather than 'yellow pages'. There are many genuinely good ones out there, but also a few cowboys. Once you do find a good one, you'll remain friends for years if like me you run 'elderly cars LOL

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all your help, as I am new to all this with no prior knowlage of much about anything to do with cars I really appreciate your advice. 

I'm slightly confused about the exact problem you're having - is the drivers door locked or unlocked?  Does it open at all?

It sounds like a door lock module fault to me tbh - but if it's stuck closed they can be a right pain to open.

Drivers door is stuck to lock I'm assuming. It will not open under any circumstances. 

Ah ok.  It's either the lock module or a wiring fault then.  Either way, the problem is getting the door open to get the interior panel off in order to fix it.  Garages will struggle to quote for it as there's no way of knowing how long it'll take to open, or even if they can do it without causing further damage.

When they start to fail you can often thump the door near the lock while repeatedly trying to unlock it and eventually it'll work but it sounds like yours has been broken for so long that's unlikely to be effective now.  

How much have you been quoted so far?

• Like 1

I've been quoted for about £150-200 if it's a faulty hindge. Obviously they would need to look at it an get back to me which I'm assuming is the best way to go at this point. 

• Confused 1

It's not a faulty hinge.  But yes, take it and show them the issue so they know exactly what the symptoms are. :smile: 

• Haha 1

Update I've taken apart the fob and put it back together and now the car sounds like it is trying to lock and the indicators flash like it is locking but nothing actually happens with the locks other than the sound. 

Definitely sounds as if something 'mechanical' has gone wrong. The electronics sound as if they are working, but when the relay is trying to activate the lock, it can't. £200 sounds steep for a fix, but like I said before, try and get a recommendation for a good 'independent' garage, I'd stay away from main dealers unless you are really into posh marble flooring, and expensive 'free' cappuccinos!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club