Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Halford require some sort of tool box to inspect my tyre

raygcon

First of all, excuse the lack of my car knowledge. I just got my first car (used Fiesta 2009 Titanium) from the dealership. 2 weeks after driving I start to notice that 1 or 2 of the tyre start to loose the pressure quicker than the other one so I suspect some sort of leak problem.

Booked Halford auto center near my place. Drove in. The guy ask all general detail and then about the nut bolt ( I believe ), I had no idea so he went to the car to check and says do I have the tool box. Otherwise they can't take out the tyre and inspect because each car/wheel has different spec. I checked and found nothing in the car, so he asked me to go back to dealership to get it.

My question is, is this normal? Am I supposed to have this before going into car tyre inspection ( or even service in general ) ? Might be stupid question, but I thought they can check this thing online. What is my option if the dealership say they don't have anything for me ? I believe it's standard titanium alloy wheel that came with the car first time, so not sure what detail do they need to check.

Sounds like they were asking you for the locking wheelbolt socket so they could take the wheel off . Dealer should have given you that with car. 

• Like 1

Have a look at your wheel bolts.  You'll see 1 on each wheel is a different shape to the other 3.

This is a security locking wheel bolt - and it requires a 'key' that fits over the bolt to remove it.  There are loads of different patterned bolt & key combinations - having one type on every car wouldn't be very secure!  So yes the key is specific to your car and not something that tyre garages will have.  You must carry it with you all the time in case you get a puncture and need to change the wheel at the roadside.

If the dealership can't provide a new key for you, you can order a brand new one from McGard.

Why would the Halfords guy want to remove the wheels to check the tyre pressures unless he wanted to remove the tyres from the rims to clean the rims up so that the tyres would seal on the bead. If you've only had the car two weeks or so, take it back to the dealer and tell them to sort it out, why pay Halfords for something that the dealer should sort out under the warrantee. The dealer should of given you a minimum 3 month warrantee from when you purchased the car.

5 hours ago, raygcon said:

First of all, excuse the lack of my car knowledge. I just got my first car (used Fiesta 2009 Titanium) from the dealership. 2 weeks after driving I start to notice that 1 or 2 of the tyre start to loose the pressure quicker than the other one so I suspect some sort of leak problem.

Booked Halford auto center near my place. Drove in. The guy ask all general detail and then about the nut bolt ( I believe ), I had no idea so he went to the car to check and says do I have the tool box. Otherwise they can't take out the tyre and inspect because each car/wheel has different spec. I checked and found nothing in the car, so he asked me to go back to dealership to get it.

My question is, is this normal? Am I supposed to have this before going into car tyre inspection ( or even service in general ) ? Might be stupid question, but I thought they can check this thing online. What is my option if the dealership say they don't have anything for me ? I believe it's standard titanium alloy wheel that came with the car first time, so not sure what detail do they need to check.

Check your spare wheel in the boot - might be with your jack

The locking wheel nut key is almost certainly in your glove box.

• Thanks 1

Like Bob said, check your glove box. If not contact the dealership that sold you the car. 🙂

it probably looks like the middle item in this pic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD-MONDEO-FOCUS-FIESTA-LOCKING-WHEEL-NUTS-SET-WITH-KEY-Ref-R/293358451751?hash=item444d86bc27:g:aa4AAOSwkNRd5SLv

it might still be in the original polythene packet with a card showing the code number (as mentioned before there are loads of different wavy patterns each with a code so that they can be ordered from Mcgard. Mcgard can also do one from a photo of the wheelnut.

The locking wheel nut should be under the spare wheel in the foam that holds the jack, tow eye and wheel brace, in my MK6 it's in a hole at the 7 O'clock position as you're looking down on it, it may be pushed in deep so you don't see it at first glance.

So if it is where everyone is saying why didn't Halfords look there for it ? There must be loads of people who turn up at tyre fitters who haven't a clue about the wheelbolt socket. Actually a Ford dealer told me there are only about 20 different Ford sockets.

The last time my wife had her tyres changed on her car, the guy never returned the key socket. We didn't notice until we took the car in to have some other stuff done and they asked about it. Lucky I had some extra hub nuts in the garage, so they just removed the lock nuts and replaced them with the extras I had. it's possible there isn't a key anywhere, it's also possible the guy from Halfords didn't see it.

20 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

So if it is where everyone is saying why didn't Halfords look there for it ? There must be loads of people who turn up at tyre fitters who haven't a clue about the wheelbolt socket. Actually a Ford dealer told me there are only about 20 different Ford sockets.

I doubt it, they've been standard on alloys for the last 20 years at least...  This is honestly the first time I've seen someone not knowing about them across all the forums and groups I'm on!

It could be anywhere, but is probably missing by now - especially if the Halfords guy couldn't find it.  They'll know the usual places to check, spare wheel well, glovebox, centre console, door pockets...even rolled under the seats isn't unheard of. 

There are a limited number of patterns per bolt type as you say, main dealers will often have a bucket full of 'spare' keys to try but indy garages won't.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I doubt it, they've been standard on alloys for the last 20 years at least...  This is honestly the first time I've seen someone not knowing about them across all the forums and groups I'm on!

It could be anywhere, but is probably missing by now - especially if the Halfords guy couldn't find it.  They'll know the usual places to check, spare wheel well, glovebox, centre console, door pockets...even rolled under the seats isn't unheard of. 

There are a limited number of patterns per bolt type as you say, main dealers will often have a bucket full of 'spare' keys to try but indy garages won't.

1st thing I check after a service - where's the Locking nut! - last service I had the dealer put it in a bright orange bag

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club