Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.5 ST P0017

Andympeck

Hello. I have a Focus ST 2.5. It had a P0017 Exhaust cam / crank correlation fault. I put a full timing belt kit on, and set the camshafts up with the proper slotted tool. The car starts and idles as smooth as silk, but the P0017 is still there. If I swap the cam sensor plugs, P0017 becomes P0016, (the problem stays with the rear exhaust camshaft). When stopped, the timing still lines up using the peg behind the starter motor and camshaft setup tools. There are no marks on the camshaft pulleys to line up with the cutouts on the plastic cover. Is there any special procedure to set up the exhaust camshaft pulley that I may have missed?

• 5 months later...

On 7/29/2020 at 4:45 PM, Andympeck said:

Hello. I have a Focus ST 2.5. It had a P0017 Exhaust cam / crank correlation fault. I put a full timing belt kit on, and set the camshafts up with the proper slotted tool. The car starts and idles as smooth as silk, but the P0017 is still there. If I swap the cam sensor plugs, P0017 becomes P0016, (the problem stays with the rear exhaust camshaft). When stopped, the timing still lines up using the peg behind the starter motor and camshaft setup tools. There are no marks on the camshaft pulleys to line up with the cutouts on the plastic cover. Is there any special procedure to set up the exhaust camshaft pulley that I may have missed?

Did you ever get to the bottom of this I have the same fault and the timing is spot on thanks. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:01 PM, L33sylv said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this I have the same fault and the timing is spot on thanks. 

Yes. I did. The exhaust vvt solenoid on top of the rocker cover had gone bad and was allowing oil pressure past it, which held the VVT pulley and camshaft in a state of "Permanent advance".

BTW, the two VVT solenoids are different. You can't swap them.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club