Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

5 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

Also from the Daily Mail

article-2126350-12637BD3000005DC-516_634x399.thumb.jpg.c9b455a5fda5e5c53bbe4721ccc729b2.jpg

How long ago was that story from?

Last car in the queue.....

Screenshot_20240404_154111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Turvey said:

How long ago was that story from?

Good spot Kevin! There's probably a Model T in that queue somewhere as well.........😀

• Haha 1

I am not very interested in picking a favorite EV from among the choices of products that are not affordable, sometimes wildly expensive when you factor in the depreciation immediately after you sign the paperwork!  In America, many dealerships will not take a EV in trade for anything. Ford dealers are refusing delivery of Lightning F150 and they are piling up in the parking lots of vacant ford owned parking lots. 
since Hertz car hire divested their inventory of Tesla 3 units the used market price of Model 3 has dropped over twenty percent. You folks in the UK will soon have a plethora of choices when your government allows the flood of Chinese EV to come in!

Khan will love the data collection and position tracking capabilities of the Chinese EV! It will make the traffic cameras almost irrelevant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scottman said:

You folks in the UK will soon have a plethora of choices when your government allows the flood of Chinese EV to come in!

Coincidentally just been reading an article on that very point. The writer was arguing we in the UK  should go all out to become the main base in Europe for the assembly of Chinese cars, in the same way we have attracted investment from Toyota and Nissan (and Honda, but they've now packed up and gone home).

Also see that Tesla shares are down a third this year, while Toyota are up by a similar amount. It means Elon Musk has dropped from No2 to No 3 in the Forbes global rich list, but I'm sure he'll survive!😀

Meanwhile average used EV prices have fallen by 12% on average, up to 40% on some models, but buyers are still holding off, with poor charging infrastructure cited as a major factor in this.

I'm not surprised at that. For example, there is a public charging facility near me (good) and I've yet to see all chargers occupied (good again). The bad news is they're not all rapid, some take contactless debit/credit cards, others need an app (but not all the same one) or an RFID card (ditto). I've seen a string of government ministers appear on TV over the last few years, all pledging this will be sorted by (insert date now long gone ) yet here we still are.

I would be quite prepared to consider an EV if I liked the car and it suited my needs, but I fail to see why paying for electricity cannot be as simple as paying at the petrol station.

• Like 2

My local supermarket now has 8 “ultra fast” charging points. Never seen more than 2 being used. My research says EV owners usually have a plethora of payment methods. Also if you don’t have a smartphone you may have a problem. Depends on the car too, some will charge in half hour, others ie CHAdeMO you’d need a hotel room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Scottman said:

Khan will love the data collection and position tracking capabilities of the Chinese EV! It will make the traffic cameras almost irrelevant.

Just as my 2018 Ford focus does, it collects the data of my location.  It has to do this for the Ford app car locator to work. 

The Idea that it's only the Chinese who are going to collect data is laughable, all manufacturers are at it, and all those who use Google Maps are sending info to a company in a foreign  country, if you live outside the USA of course, and that is now being built info many cars.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Alex.S said:

My local supermarket now has 8 “ultra fast” charging points. Never seen more than 2 being used. My research says EV owners usually have a plethora of payment methods. Also if you don’t have a smartphone you may have a problem. Depends on the car too, some will charge in half hour, others ie CHAdeMO you’d need a hotel room. 

Not used because they all recharge at home on a cheap overnight rate.  Maybe they simply don't need to go to a filling station, if you could fill your ICE car at home for a £1 a litre, how often would you waste time down the local garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

Not used because they all recharge at home on a cheap overnight rate.  Maybe they simply don't need to go to a filling station, if you could fill your ICE car at home for a £1 a litre, how often would you waste time down the local garage.

It’s in an area that’s mainly flats and high rise flats. It’s not in an affluent area which probably means there’s not many EVs yet. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

Not used because they all recharge at home on a cheap overnight rate. 

Fair point. Quite possible, but not everyone will be able to use home charging. Even though I have off road parking, like most things at my house it's badly laid out and not handy for where I'd need to install the charger. The electricity supply is also stupidly located so I doubt I'd get it done for a "standard" price.

I'd probably find it easier to charge at the local supermarket seeing as we spend at least an hour a week there but at the mo the bank of chargers there suffer the same issues as Alex mentions, so as bad as the public chargers I referred to earlier. Unit rate is not a massive issue as my own mileage is pretty low these days and the Mrs's even less - she can almost treat a fill up as part of the annual service!😀

I've said before, even the government's own numbers suggest that over 30% of drivers will have no access to home charging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

over 30% of drivers will have no access to home charging.

Not necessarily an affluence thing either. We've stayed in some rather swish apartment blocks on holidays where the permanent residents would have to rely on public chargers or have a block of chargers installed in the car parking area for communal use of residents/guests.

A lot of this net zero stuff has not been properly thought through. I see that the other day, for instance,  a committee of MPs called for Building Regulations to be amended to make solar roof panels compulsory on new builds. Sort of thing that should have happened years ago, likewise charger provision at the planning/build stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

100% agree about building regs and solar panels, should have been compulsory decades ago, and is there some statistic about more area of empty commercial roof than farm land in the UK.

The whole house building regs need a good overhaul, for far to long the major house builders have got away with shoddy cheaply built , expensive to buy homes.

We definitely should not be taking hundreds of acres of productive agricultural land out of use for solar farms.

• Like 1

Interestingly this issue was covered in Countryfile today. It seems one of the problems is that farmers are having to rent out land for solar farms to keep their businesses afloat, presumably in the face of cheap foreign food imports.

Am I alone in thinking it's utter madness to be making ourselves critically reliant on imported food? Has no-one learned the lessons from two world wars?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mjt said:

Am I alone in thinking ...

No...

38 minutes ago, mjt said:

...to be making ourselves critically reliant on imported food? Has no-one learned the lessons from two world wars?

we'll all be digging for victory soon enough!

dig.thumb.jpg.b0994f01f1079e4bbbf57a4b3f78c37b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjt said:

Am I alone in thinking it's utter madness to be making ourselves critically reliant on imported food?

It's OK, no need to panic !!

You get a free food hamper and a basket of fruit, in the boot of every Chinese EV imported 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjt said:

Am I alone in thinking it's utter madness to be making ourselves critically reliant on imported food? Has no-one learned the lessons from two world wars?

We've been reliant on imported food since the 19th century.  It's a total myth that we could ever be  food self-sufficient .

• Like 1

Came across this YouTube on showing it was cheaper to charge an EV on a diesel generator, than the main grid. Not very scientific, the female host is annoying, it's American but interesting nonetheless...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Came across this YouTube on showing it was cheaper to charge an EV on a diesel generator, than the main grid. Not very scientific, the female host is annoying, it's American but interesting nonetheless...

Good luck trying it over here with the cost of diesel . 😂😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

It'll never catch on, a clean fuel which can be quickly refueled?? I'm relying on the car companies to soon lobby government hard when they start to get fined £Millions for not reaching their target of selling EVs to folk that don't want them...

thought.jpg.73f0235f269e8b1188520d8dcfd1711f.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, unofix said:

Old EV batteries are being used to warm the Scottish environment with great success 👍

Good to see them experimenting with the harnessing of energy on recycling these batteries. They just have to work out now how to stop the humongous plumes of polluting smoke, and transfer the heat generated to something useful... 😁

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 1:49 PM, unofix said:

Old EV batteries are being used to warm the Scottish environment with great success 👍

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24243524.fenix-kilwinning-not-first-battery-recycling-plant-fire/

Want to know what the real environment issue is with vehicles and fire, it tyres. These large blazes seem to happen regularly and in countries all around the globe.

Also the Scottish fire was at a battery recycling plant, not an exclusive EV battery plant, but the AAA, AA and CR 2032 ones everyone tosses in the bin.

_89686832_tyres6.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark-UK said:

Want to know what the real environment issue is with vehicles and fire, it tyres.

Here in Northern Ireland, we have a fine tradition of burning tires on the '11th' night to welcome in the annual Orange 12th July celebrations... 😂

tires.thumb.jpg.8fff2d11074c00461ef15fdde58eac3f.jpg

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club