Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Luxury Hatchbacks - Focus Vignale Equivalents?

TomsFocus

Hmmm...just checked every single 19 plate 1.5 TX on Cazoo and eBay...they're all registered on May 31st and all have twist beam suspension.  Seems a bit suspicious!  :g:

There's just one Vignale in my budget, but it's already 2 years and 2 months old, so less than 10 months warranty.  I like the colour though.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-and-locate/approved-used/approved-used-cars/results#/vehicleDetails/3956100/42184JA

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

Tom.....I don't have a Vignale....just a humble ST Line X 👍

Ah, my mistake...should've known by the wheels in your pic!  STX is definitely out for me, lowered sports suspension as well as 18s is a definite no lol. :unsure:  

Oh actually, I prefer the colour of this Vignale...new enough for a years warranty, but not really in budget lol. :whistling:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010275478156?

So, it looks like if I go with a Focus, I've got the choice between a Vignale with IRS and 18s.  Or a TX with twist beam and 17s.  🤦‍♂️

I basically want a Vignale (IRS, full leathers, LED lights, premium audio, etc) with the TX 'Cerne Abbas style' 17s... :rolleyes:  

Also worth noting the Vignale's are all 182ps, and the TX's are all 150ps.  Doubt it makes a real world difference though.  

How are you finding out whether the car your looking at has twist beam or not ?

I don't know whether mine has or not and looked on ETIS and it doesnt mention anything.

Just now, Wino said:

How are you finding out whether the car your looking at has twist beam or not ?

I don't know whether mine has or not and looked on ETIS and it doesnt mention anything.

Etis calls twist beam 'Level 1' and IRS 'level 2' when looking at rear suspension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Keyless handles have a wifi symbol on them right? 

Yes they do. I still have a brochure from 2019 (pre changes) if you need to know anything else.

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

I don't know whether mine has or not and looked on ETIS and it doesn't mention anything

According to the brochure, the 1.5 Diesel and the 1.0 petrol engines never had Multi-Link. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Tom. Looks like I need to fire up the laptop as it wont open the clickable links within ETIS. 

That Vignale you posted looks spot on. Great colour.

Does it have the three dots on all the doors or were they removed on the Vignale too ? 

2 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Yes they do. I still have a brochure from 2019 (pre changes) if you need to know anything else.

According to the brochure, the 1.5 Diesel and the 1.0 petrol engines never had Multi-Link. 

I wasn't aware it had or hadn't  prior to owning it.

Only heard of it when mentioned on here 😮

One of my previous cars from yrs ago (Nissan primera) had multi link on the front and it cornered fantastic but it had issues with the top link  continually rattling every few months but fortunately the company fleet was Primeras at the time.

• Like 2

Tom, that is a very sizeable budget! You are obviously an experienced car guy too, so would you not consider an older prestige motor, like a Merc? You can get numerous very comfy models at around even £10,000, never mind £15,000. There are numerous models available for that price range (have fun just typing in that budget on a quick eBay search!).

Yes, there'd be no 'manufacture warranty' left, but on the whole, the age range you could get would still be very reliable, they are powerful cars, often with quite luxurious interiors - don't even consider a non leather interior. I absolutely loved my C class, but it was very old, and had been neglected prior to my purchase so I did have issues with it, but with your budget, I could have picked up a gem!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, that is a very sizeable budget! You are obviously an experienced car guy too, so would you not consider an older prestige motor, like a Merc? You can get numerous very comfy models at around even £10,000, never mind £15,000. There are numerous models available for that price range (have fun just typing in that budget on a quick Ebay search!).

Yes, there'd be no 'manufacture warranty' left, but on the whole, the age range you could get would still be very reliable, they are powerful cars, often wit quite luxurious interiors - don't even consider a non leather interior. I absolutely loved my C class, but it was very old, and had been neglected prior to my purchase so I did have issues with it, but with your budget, I could have picked up a gem!

In a word...no. Lol.  I do respect your opinion and any normal car guy would also do exactly the same as you, or buy 2 or 3 cars to cover different situations, but my circumstance is different. With my problems, I can't risk a breakdown and can no longer repair cars myself so needs to be as new as I can get to reduce that risk as far as possible.  A Motability car would have been ideal but sadly I don't qualify for it. (Can't use any form of public transport or taxis, have to rely 100% on my own car and need to have a specific type of car all due to my health issues...but apparently that doesn't qualify. :rolleyes: )

Running costs are also a lot higher on older cars as you'll know...the 2.0 petrol turbo Leon averaged 50mpg when the delivery driver brought it over!  I've been averaging 42mpg just around my estate (as far as I can take it lol).  Tax is £150.  (Which is admittedly more than the £30 I've been paying on diesel for the last 6 years lol).  My Dad owns a 2008 X-Type V6 that costs £500 a year to tax and barely scrapes 25mpg...

I'm also buying with an eye to selling within 18 months (if I fail the next assessment) so needs to be something easily sellable. :smile: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Running costs are also a lot higher on older cars as you'll know..

I forgot to mention that my Merc had an LPG conversion on it which attracted me to it in the first place, at 55p/liter, the running costs made me smile smugly everytime I filled up LOL But I absolutely appreciate your desire for a 'reliable' newer car. Like I said, I just got a bad'un, but at the price I paid, wasn't entirely a shock. It did spend alot of it's time getting 'a lift' 😂

2145337809_breakdownLoRes.thumb.jpg.56ac81a71ed911143107fc578a5c7466.jpg

• Haha 1

I bought a 10k C220.  Lovely to drive but total money pit.  So bad it is what made me buy new for the first time ever.

As for suspension, I wouldn't worry about what is or isn't fitted, but just go on how it feels.

Did the pre 2020 Vignales always get LEDs?  I have the 2019 brochures on my work laptop, I can post them tomorrow for you.

Also I think Ford do an extended warranty, like others, if you get it serviced with them.

34 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

As for suspension, I wouldn't worry about what is or isn't fitted, but just go on how it feels.

That's the issue though...  I can't test drive them so have to be pretty certain that it's going to be smooth enough just from facts and figures.

A Mondeo? Or is that too big? I bought my Titanium with X-pack for about £13k with 7 months Ford warranty left and 30k miles on it. Down side is it's the 1.5 econetic diesel, so a manual and not exactly fast, but you should be able to pick up an auto for a bit more. It's extremely comfortable. 

49 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

A Mondeo? Or is that too big? I bought my Titanium with X-pack for about £13k with 7 months Ford warranty left and 30k miles on it. Down side is it's the 1.5 econetic diesel, so a manual and not exactly fast, but you should be able to pick up an auto for a bit more. It's extremely comfortable. 

Not sure if I mentioned it so far but I'm having to stick with a manual.  The Leon I bought is DSG which I thought would make life easier...but the lack of control with an auto-box seems to adding to the nausea, almost like being a passenger in my own car.

It's a shame as the box is lovely and very reliable.  Identical engine and box to the Golf GTi, just detuned to 190ps for the Leon.  And getting back into my manual Golf now feels like a huge effort...can't believe I've spent all these years changing gear manually!  Will have to carry on now though... :laugh:

I don't have any need for Mondeo sized car but it does need to be petrol as I don't do the miles for a DPF.  I'm not sure if there's a reasonable petrol choice in the Mondeo? 

• Like 1

We have the 2.0 EcoBoost in our Mondeo, but I think they were auto only and I don’t know if they still do it. Think only the hybrid is a petrol if there’s any of those in budget, but I guess you don’t want a hybrid? I guess a Fiesta Vignale is too small and only twist-beam? Would a Kuga suit? My Grandad has just bought a 1.5 Titanium, you don’t have to climb up into it, and no wider than a Focus (I’ve driven it). 

38 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Think only the hybrid is a petrol if there’s any of those in budget, but I guess you don’t want a hybrid? 

Yes, looks like only petrol still available new is the 187ps 2.0 mild hybrid CVT, but there was a 1.5 165ps in the range not long ago. My nearest dealer has 4 on 19 plate at the mo, but they're all hovering around £19-20k.

Always thought the Mondy was very comfy, but way too big for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, looks like only petrol still available new is the 187ps 2.0 mild hybrid CVT, but there was a 1.5 165ps in the range not long ago. My nearest dealer has 4 on 19 plate at the mo, but they're all hovering around £19-20k.

Always thought the Mondy was very comfy, but way too big for me.

Ah that’s no good if it’s CVT then (ghastly things IMO). The Mondeo is very comfy like you say, and I agree it’s mahoosive but that good if you’re 6ft 4 like me and have to sit in the back lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtulip8 said:

Ah that’s no good if it’s CVT then (ghastly things IMO). 

No, not a fan either. I'm sure they've improved since then, but they always remind me of the DAF Daffodil (and the early small Volvos, after they took over DAF's car operation).

I'm a lot shorter than you, btw, Daniel so easily get lost in a car the size of a Mondy!😃

• Haha 2

Get a Vauxhall. 
Or withdraw all your savings and set fire to it.. same thing. 

• Haha 1

The most comfortable car I've ever driven over a long distance was a mark 1 Insignia.  They were built for reps to do 100000s of miles.

I dont think today's cvts are the old rubber band ones. 😄. Also I don't think you can get a full hybrid without one.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not sure if I mentioned it so far but I'm having to stick with a manual.  The Leon I bought is DSG which I thought would make life easier...but the lack of control with an auto-box seems to adding to the nausea, almost like being a passenger in my own car.

It's a shame as the box is lovely and very reliable.  Identical engine and box to the Golf GTi, just detuned to 190ps for the Leon.  And getting back into my manual Golf now feels like a huge effort...can't believe I've spent all these years changing gear manually!  Will have to carry on now though... :laugh:

I don't have any need for Mondeo sized car but it does need to be petrol as I don't do the miles for a DPF.  I'm not sure if there's a reasonable petrol choice in the Mondeo? 

My Mondeo is a soft ride with suspension and 16in rims. I do 14mile trips to and from work at 30-50mph. No issues with the dpf. It's a manual as I don't like autos. Downside is 65mpg 😂😂😂 and not the most reliable at 95k miles ( water pump failure, expensive thermostat leaking ) 

2 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

We have the 2.0 EcoBoost in our Mondeo, but I think they were auto only and I don’t know if they still do it. Think only the hybrid is a petrol if there’s any of those in budget, but I guess you don’t want a hybrid? I guess a Fiesta Vignale is too small and only twist-beam? Would a Kuga suit? My Grandad has just bought a 1.5 Titanium, you don’t have to climb up into it, and no wider than a Focus (I’ve driven it). 

Not looked into Juga but this may be the sort of thing I have to go for.  Have also been recommended a 3008 on another forum.  Fiesta is definitely too small/rough.

I can't imagine you have to climb up into anything? :laugh:

As Roger, I'd look a little daft in a Mondeo...I'm 6ft but it's all leg, and I weigh nothing, so I'd sit alongside the B pillar and it'd look like a driverless car from outside...  

Definitely not keen on the idea of CVT!  At least I could roughly guess when the DSG wanted to change! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Get a Vauxhall. 
Or withdraw all your savings and set fire to it.. same thing. 

Considering my savings rate is now at 0.5% that's probably cheaper than leaving it in the back will be soon... :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

The most comfortable car I've ever driven over a long distance was a mark 1 Insignia.  They were built for reps to do 100000s of miles.

Hmm, I had a Vectra C and found the suspension to be set up all wrong.  It was horrifically bouncy at the rear.  Meaning one rebound hadn't ended time you hit the next bump giving a jarring crashy ride.  It's the only car I've ever had that was both too bouncy and too rough!! :unsure:

Didn't help that it snapped a spring coming off my driveway the first time I drove it...

Turbo whined like a bugger, I had to spend £70 on a thermostat, the EGR failed and it used an alarming amount of diesel for a 1.9 litre engine!

Family members have had plenty of issues with Vauxhall's too...  There's a reason they're cheap to buy lol!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club