Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake/ caliper issue

Dylanaled

Hi everyone,

I own a Mk7 ST and was wondering if anyone has ever had any issues with the rear brakes? I just ask because twice now my car has rolled backwards on my drive and hit my garage door ( I've owned the car over 4 months and yes I do know how to apply a handbrake). The first time left no damage but this second time has left a huge dent just above the rear diffuser section. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues? 

Thanks guys. 

Why not pop the car in to gear when you park it, problem solved 😉

I did have a rear caliper get slightly stuck because of some rust formation / cooked lubricant of a carrier bolt and that caused the TPMS light to pop up because of heat, prompting me to get off the freeway and noticing the rear left smoking ^^'

Disassembled the lot, cleaned the carrier bolts and re-greased them, fine ever since.

If you try and pull forward slightly while the parking brake is on, do you notice significant resistance ?

As a temporary solution, putting the car in gear should help it not back up into your garage again.

39 minutes ago, Solakug said:

I did have a rear caliper get slightly stuck because of some rust formation / cooked lubricant of a carrier bolt and that caused the TPMS light to pop up because of heat, prompting me to get off the freeway and noticing the rear left smoking ^^'

Disassembled the lot, cleaned the carrier bolts and re-greased them, fine ever since.

If you try and pull forward slightly while the parking brake is on, do you notice significant resistance ?

As a temporary solution, putting the car in gear should help it not back up into your garage again.

Yeah I will leave it in gear from now on. It's weird since the exact same thing happened to my Father's focus RS a few months back. I'll try the resistance thing that you've mentioned too, thank you 

41 minutes ago, Aldridge Andy said:

Why not pop the car in to gear when you park it, problem solved 😉

Yeah, it's just annoying the handbrake won't hold the car. It's not a steep drive by any means 

Was it a "spirited" drive before you parked up? 

When you're using the brake a lot the discs heat up and expand. If you then apply the handbrake and the disc contracts again, it'll no longer be applying force on the disc and let the car roll.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Was it a "spirited" drive before you parked up? 

When you're using the brake a lot the discs heat up and expand. If you then apply the handbrake and the disc contracts again, it'll no longer be applying force on the disc and let the car roll.

Hi, to be honest I don't really push the car because I'm stage 2 but completely standard brakes so I'm really not driving spiritedly at the moment, especially with the weather as it is at the moment. 

Just to check, when you use the handbrake do you push the brake pedal down after turning the ignition off, then pull it up again?It should go another few notches, it’ll then allow from the brakes cooling.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club