Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People's fascination with updates

VFR800

Coming from a PC support background, I know all to well about people wanting the "latest" and "greatest" of things!

People's addiction to the new thing on the block, what we call 1st gen (generation), was always the fool's choice. They were the first to update or purchase and always the most vocal when it came time to moaning and bitching about their new toy!

Update if...

• You have a problem that the update SPECIFICALLY fixes.
  • A new feature that will GENUINELY help if offered.
  • Have been advised by a manufacturer to apply to remedy an issue.

Anything else is a risky and sometimes costly update.

I've had plenty of people contact me over the years when firmware updates went south, and I go back as far when a firmware update involved replacing IC's and not just downloading a file!

My thoughts on this site have been, what's people's fascination with running the latest F10 maps? These maps are probably out of date compared to other solutions mapping solutions, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, Tom Tom etc. Just because Ford say F10 is the latest does not mean they are actually up-to-date at time of release. FORD use Here Technologies for their mapping software, anyone seen a here.com vehicle capturing data??

It's also not in FORD's best interest to support updates over Wi-Fi, they would rather you take your car to a dealer and have them apply the update. All that Wi-Fi bandwidth costs FORD lots and lots and this isn't their bread a butter at the end of the day, they don't even want to make cars any more!!!

• Like 4

If you had , for talking sake a £30k iPhone and get offered iOS updates..you wouldn’t bother? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VFR800 said:

It's also not in FORD's best interest to support updates over Wi-Fi, they would rather you take your car to a dealer and have them apply the update. All that Wi-Fi bandwidth costs FORD lots and lots and this isn't their bread a butter at the end of the day, they don't even want to make cars any more!!!

VW for one do seem to be going this way though:

"Volkswagen is driving forward the digitalization of its products at pace and is transforming itself into a full-service provider of hardware, software, and services. The introduction of Over-the-Air updates is the next important step in our transformation into a tech company and in the development of new business models," says Ralf Brandstatter, CEO of the VW brand.

As Ford are platform sharing with VW for electric models they may have to follow suit.

Tesla also seem to be into this - supplying capacity various features enabled for a short times and then switching them off unless you pay for them. Apparently Grant Shapps got caught out with heated rear seats in his. I believe he didn't cough up to keep them though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

VW for one do seem to be going this way though:

"Volkswagen is driving forward the digitalization of its products at pace and is transforming itself into a full-service provider of hardware, software, and services. The introduction of Over-the-Air updates is the next important step in our transformation into a tech company and in the development of new business models," says Ralf Brandstatter, CEO of the VW brand.

As Ford are platform sharing with VW for electric models they may have to follow suit.

Tesla also seem to be into this - supplying capacity various features enabled for a short times and then switching them off unless you pay for them. Apparently Grant Shapps got caught out with heated rear seats in his. I believe he didn't cough up to keep them though.

I'm waiting for when the hackers target a vehicle brand or model and hold the company ransom!!! Pay us $$$ millions or all the brakes will suddenly fail on all your vehicles!!

• Haha 3

Google’s taking over Fords computer stuff from 2023. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, VFR800 said:

I'm waiting for when the hackers target a vehicle brand or model and hold the company ransom!!! Pay us $$$ millions or all the brakes will suddenly fail on all your vehicles!!

When you consider what hackers have already done that doesn't seem an unrealistic worry. It already seems quite sinister that the likes of Tesla can switch stuff off if you don't cough up!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

When you consider what hackers have already done that doesn't seem an unrealistic worry. It already seems quite sinister that the likes of Tesla can switch stuff off if you don't cough up!

Rumours are that ECU's, and the like, have already been targeted mid supply chain to have rogue code loaded prior to arriving at dealers and customers.

21 minutes ago, VFR800 said:

Rumours are that ECU's, and the like, have already been targeted mid supply chain to have rogue code loaded prior to arriving at dealers and customers.

Ah, that might explain delivery delays which have been attributed to chip supplies - hacking the chips must be adding to the lead time!

I think I'll just walk in future - unless there's a way of hacking trainers as well!😀

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ah, that might explain delivery delays which have been attributed to chip supplies - hacking the chips must be adding to the lead time!

I think I'll just walk in future - unless there's a way of hacking trainers as well!😀

ARGHHHHHHH!!! 😉

• Haha 1

Anybody watched "Bangers & Cash"?  I must admit I'm sorely tempted to get a classic car. :dry:

17 minutes ago, mjt said:

I must admit I'm sorely tempted to get a classic car. :dry:

I own one, a Mik2 2005 Focus LX, LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

I own one, a Mik2 2005 Focus LX, LOL

mjt was thinking about a "classic" not a "vintage" 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unofix said:

mjt was thinking about a "classic" not a "vintage" 🤣

Guess you never got my tinge of sarcasm then LOL My neigbour owns a Triumph TR6, which he can scare the bejesus out of me when taking me a spin in it, and his dad owns a beautiful BRGJag E type (fastest in UK according to Goodwood Fesival of Speed). He also owns a Jag 'D' type! I'm enough of a petrolhead to know what a vintage car is 🤣 (Sadly, my car is just 'old', but give it another few decades!)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club