Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cylinder deactivation

Snuspinden

Hi there

I'm driving a 2019 Ford Focus 1.5L 8-speed automatic.

Does anyone know if its possible to turn OFF cylinder deactivation, other than in "Sport Mode"?

Is there any electric plug that I can disconnect or can it be turned OFF with a computer?

Cheers!

I don't know of any way of programming it out but the Solenoid that switches it on and off is on the top of the engine at the right hand side, directly above cylinder one. If you took the electrical connector off and secured, waterproofed and insulated it then Deactivation should not happen but the check engine light might come on and it may have a knock on effect on any other sensors that have the same electrical supply, I don't know.

Incidentally, Sports Mode does not disable it on my 150 bhp Manual 1.5, I don't know about the Automatic versions. 

Yeah I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable/foolish than me will try disconnecting the solenoid to see what happens:)

I doubt it would be that simple. I've searched about this and emailed a remapping company who said they are "not sure if you will find any tuner that would do this".

Also see https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13454

The short answer is "I don't know"

The longer answer is why not take a look at the ECU settings with the software FORScan and see if there is an option to disable it ?

On 1/4/2022 at 8:48 PM, Tizer said:

I don't know of any way of programming it out but the Solenoid that switches it on and off is on the top of the engine at the right hand side, directly above cylinder one. If you took the electrical connector off and secured, waterproofed and insulated it then Deactivation should not happen but the check engine light might come on and it may have a knock on effect on any other sensors that have the same electrical supply, I don't know.

Incidentally, Sports Mode does not disable it on my 150 bhp Manual 1.5, I don't know about the Automatic versions. 

Could you show the exact location of that electrical connector on a picture maybe?

The cylinder deactivation is OFF in Sport Mode on my 1.5L 182hp automatic.

Unfortunately Sport Mode is a bit unpleasant to drive in, because of the automatic gearbox which shift only at around 3000 rpm. I think it is 700 rpm too late when trying to cruise through the city. 😂

I don't have a photo and from memory there are a some other things in that area that might need to be moved out the way. There should be two Camshaft Sensors on either side of it, but I'm not sure if you can see all three without moving things. If you disconnect the wrong one then the code that is thrown up will tell you if it is the wrong one.

Can I ask how you know that Deactivation is disabled in Sports Mode on your Automatic. I have done Live Monitoring on my Manual and Deactivation definitely is not disabled in Sports Mode.

Do let us know if removing the connector works on your car, I'm sure that a lot of other people will be interested. It is strange that some people, including me, have never had the problem that you have and I'm still not sure if it is only the Automatic 1.5 cars that have problems along with a lot of the 1.0 cars. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 9:12 PM, Tizer said:

I don't have a photo and from memory there are a some other things in that area that might need to be moved out the way. There should be two Camshaft Sensors on either side of it, but I'm not sure if you can see all three without moving things. If you disconnect the wrong one then the code that is thrown up will tell you if it is the wrong one.

Can I ask how you know that Deactivation is disabled in Sports Mode on your Automatic. I have done Live Monitoring on my Manual and Deactivation definitely is not disabled in Sports Mode.

Do let us know if removing the connector works on your car, I'm sure that a lot of other people will be interested. It is strange that some people, including me, have never had the problem that you have and I'm still not sure if it is only the Automatic 1.5 cars that have problems along with a lot of the 1.0 cars. 

I will try to find the connector.

Interesting with your live monitoring. I am not 100 % sure, but it feel to me the engine runs on all three cylinders all the time in Sport Mode.

• 3 months later...

I have now asked the local Ford dealer if it is at all possible to disconnect the cylinder deactivation without the use of software and it is not possible unfortunately.

• Like 1

Use either Sport mode, which I know makes the gearbox sport mode too and a bit annoying or you will possibly  have to have it "MAPPED" off.

Try searching on Forscan forums to see if anyone has managed to switch it off yet

It would be interesting to hear the results if anyone has disconnected the connecter to the Deactivation Solenoid.

Just now, Tizer said:

It would be interesting to hear the results if anyone has disconnected the connecter to the Deactivation Solenoid.

I would imagine you would immediately flag a fault and put the light on and possibly go into limp

6 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

I would imagine you would immediately flag a fault and put the light on and possibly go into limp

It may well flag a fault but I'm not sure it would go into Limp Mode.

There is a PID that shows the Actual verses Commanded state and it does not always deactivate when commanded for a lot of different reasons without throwing a fault light. I'm not sure where it gets its feedback from, the Solenoid only has two wires so I guess it must be from the Crankshaft/Knock sensor arrangement.

I would disconnect it on mine but I don't have a vibration problem on my manual car so it would be silly to do so for the sake of doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently asked my local Ford dealer if there's anything I could do to disconnect the cylinder deactivation.

Wire connections /disconnect with PC / other thing...

They said no. There's nothing I could do myself (maybe they just won't tell me - I don't know). And they could not locate (on Fords part catalogue) any solenoids in the outside of cylinder head on my 2019 Focus 1.5 182hp A8-gear.

So my question to you guys is whether here is a solenoid or not (outside the cylinder head). If there is, please send a photo, so I can locate it myself.

• Sad 1

Same question that you asked at the start of this thread and the answer is still the same.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, DaveT70 said:

Can only find this on Forscan

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13454

Looks like you need a remap to map it out

Just curious to know why you want the cylinder deactivation to stop, personally I don't notice de activating happening.

2 hours ago, Nimrodmk8 said:

Just curious to know why you want the cylinder deactivation to stop, personally I don't notice de activating happening.

Do you know for sure that you have cylinder deactivation on a 2020 Ecoboost 1.5 ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, unofix said:

Do you know for sure that you have cylinder deactivation on a 2020 Ecoboost 1.5 ?

Yep, I'm sure it'd gone by then

• Like 1

13 hours ago, unofix said:

No I don't know, that could be the reason why I don't notice it😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nimrodmk8 said:

No I don't know, that could be the reason why I don't notice it😂

I found the reason why sometimes it is gone:

Charging battery!

The car has a sophisticated system for battery management. It samples the battery when car is idle, it takes about 3 hour (from documentations). I use voltage meter in the cigar lighter. The observations are as follow:

- when temperature is below 10deg, the car chargees battery aggressively, rises voltage up to 14.9, and charges almost constantly for 1-2 hours following start - in this mode cylinder deactivation vibrations are STRONG! 

- when temperature is 10-15 10deg, the car chargees battery a bit aggressively, rises voltage up to 14.7, and charges almost constantly for 1-2 hours following start - in this mode cylinder deactivation vibrations are not so strong but quite noticeable and annoying.

- next we have 15-20 deg, voltage 14.4-14.6  almost no vibrations

- above 18deg - 14.3, charges just for a few minutes following start, later turns on charging for a seconds in minutes intervals.

As hotter as less charging!!!

That is why in summer, we don't feel it at all! I thought it is because softness of the engine suspension. No, it is because of torque applied by the generator! 

I'm going to change the map disabling ACT for good this week. I'll let you know how it went.

• Thanks 1

Very useful information for those that have cars with the cylinder deactivation. I'm sure there will be many who will want to do the same if it stops the deactivation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning!

Finally, I changed the map, no more ACT for good!

It is ... it is AWESOME! The car finally is normal! Accelerating in 2000-3000rpm range is smoother. Engine works very pleasant, less gently shaking. Driving in a city and calm driving is so nice. When stopped and engine is on, no single shake to be feel.

As I have described, vibrations happen when it is cold, I will have to wait for autumn. One time my car was charging on 14.7V level and was no vibrations, so I have deep hope for no more of this unpleasant effect.

Drawbacks, according to Ford documentations, fuel save from ACT is 6%. Maybe some  DTC and warranty, but my car is not on the warranty any more.

There is also device which allows to swap between the maps. The map is from company rica.nl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, piotrmod said:

It is ... it is AWESOME! The car finally is normal! Accelerating in 2000-3000rpm range is smoother. Engine works very pleasant, less gently shaking. Driving in a city and calm driving is so nice. When stopped and engine is on, no single shake to be feel.

As I have described, vibrations happen when it is cold, I will have to wait for autumn. One time my car was charging on 14.7V level and was no vibrations, so I have deep hope for no more of this unpleasant effect.

Drawbacks, according to Ford documentations, fuel save from ACT is 6%. Maybe some  DTC and warranty, but my car is not on the warranty any more.

There is also device which allows to swap between the maps. The map is from company rica.nl

Excellent news !!

Was this an easy thing to do ?

Many here will be interested, but will only have limited technical skills.

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Was this an easy thing to do ?

I'm not that brave. It was done in a company which is an official distributor of rica.nl in my country. For them, it was easy, like 15min of work.  Working with PCM maps is not my domain.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, piotrmod said:

Finally, I changed the map, no more ACT for good!

As I have described, vibrations happen when it is cold, I will have to wait for autumn.

Very interesting that they can remove cylinder deactivation/ACT! Thank you for this info, but I am confused...

Are you saying that torque from the battery generator/alternator puts strong vibrations through the car? That shouldn't have anything to do with cylinder deactivation?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club