Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021MY Kuga PHEV 12V Battery Drain Issue

Mazzie

2 hours ago, Phoenixlibra said:

I wanted to see if this was a common issue with Kugas.

.......and the answer would be 'Yes' very common issue with Kuga's.

If a dash cam is hard wired to a permanent live feed, it will have a significant drain on the 12v battery. If fed from the 12 lighter socket, it should isolate after 20 mins or so.

battery issues will show up when the weather is colder.

Also the hands free door handles have had issues for one poster. I’ve turned mine off in the sync menu to avoid relay theft (probably unnecessary)

Hi, my Ford Kuga PHEV was purchased early 2022 and today it went in for a service.  The vehicle health check came back and identified my 12v battery need replacing, the cost for replacing the battery is £265!   I've only done 10,000 miles over the 2 years of having it so I can't see why it would need replacing.  According to Ford, I need to pay for the replacement.  Can someone on here know if this is correct or is it covered under warranty?  Many thanks for any advice in advance!

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, newkugaowner said:

Hi, my Ford Kuga PHEV was purchased early 2022 and today it went in for a service.  The vehicle health check came back and identified my 12v battery need replacing, the cost for replacing the battery is £265!   I've only done 10,000 miles over the 2 years of having it so I can't see why it would need replacing.  According to Ford, I need to pay for the replacement.  Can someone on here know if this is correct or is it covered under warranty?  Many thanks for any advice in advance!

Ford only cover the 12V battery for something like 6-12 months at best.

It is considered a wear and tear item, like tyres or Wiper Blades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Ford only cover the 12V battery for something like 6-12 months at best.

It is considered a wear and tear item, like tyres or wiper blades.

I thought it was covered for 3 years. Will go investigate. 

• Like 2

The following items are covered up to the first scheduled service or for 12 months from the date of first registration, whichever occurs first:

1. Accessory drive belts

2. Gaskets removed as part of associated service adjustment

3. Oil and fluids

4. Oil filter element, air cleaner element, pollen filter or fuel filter element

5. Remote control battery

6. Spark plugs

The following items are covered for six months (unlimited distance) from the date of first registration:

1. Bulbs (except Xenon headlamp bulbs, light emitting diodes and instrument panel bulbs that are covered for the duration of the base warranty)

2. Wiper blades

• Like 1

No mention of the 12v battery, I'm still looking. It used to b the case that the 12v battery was 12months but that was only up to sept 2014 I seem to remember when the 3 yr warranty was actually 3 and not before when there was 1 year warranty with extra 2years reduced cover warranty as  such. 

• Like 1

My battery on 21 plate 1.5 petrol replaced at 18 months under warranty 6k miles

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, iantt said:

No mention of the 12v battery, I'm still looking. It used to b the case that the 12v battery was 12months but that was only up to sept 2014 I seem to remember when the 3 yr warranty was actually 3 and not before when there was 1 year warranty with extra 2years reduced cover warranty as  such. 

Ah ok. I’m happy to be corrected if they’ve updated it. Only 10 years out of date maybe. I always expect Ford to cover less rather than more. 😉

Well, I couldn't find anything else relating to the 12v battery in the warranty manual / terms etc. I will ask the warranty guy at work tommorow to see what he says, but we don't generally get involved with used cars . 

• Like 1

Quick Update on this:

When I told the garage that I don't believe I should be paying £265 to replace something that is only 2 years old and has low mileage usage.  They did further investigation on the battery and told me it might not be a faulty battery after all!  They decided to charge the battery up from 50% to 100% and told me to keep an eye on for now. 

19 minutes ago, newkugaowner said:

They decided to charge the battery up from 50% to 100% and told me to keep an eye on for now. 

It sounds like yet another case where buying a smart battery charger and giving the battery regular "top up" charges, as many of us do, is the answer.

70 2.5 phev

Only had car for 6 months, flat 12v battery 5x, all of the above problems, booked in next week, not very hopefull of a fix, wish I'd read up before, I would have walked by it

• Sad 1

Hi Mike @houndog, also aka One Post Wonder

Welcome to the Ford Owners Club 👍

Sadly this problem has been on going since the Kuga PHEV was first released. So far as I know there is no known fix. Some members have found a 'work around' which is basically disconnect the charger the moment the battery is charged. Then you must drive the car if even for just 1 mile before you park and switch off. This seems for most owners to work and stop the 12V battery being drained.

If you ever do get a real fix, please call back and let the other owners know 😀

PS. You need to update your profile with your new car details.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2024 at 3:49 PM, newkugaowner said:

Quick Update on this:

When I told the garage that I don't believe I should be paying £265 to replace something that is only 2 years old and has low mileage usage.  They did further investigation on the battery and told me it might not be a faulty battery after all!  They decided to charge the battery up from 50% to 100% and told me to keep an eye on for now. 

Have just been told by Ford that we need a new 12v battery. Similarly they want £280 for a battery that costs between £80 to £160. When asked why its so expensive they said they have to "reprogram " the software. 

Question to you good people? Is this "reprogramming" simply deleting the fault codes on the engine management system or is there real "reprogramming" being done. If its simply fault codes then the local garage can fit the new battery at half the price. 

3 hours ago, FordFred said:

Have just been told by Ford that we need a new 12v battery. Similarly they want £280 for a battery that costs between £80 to £160. When asked why its so expensive they said they have to "reprogram " the software. 

Question to you good people? Is this "reprogramming" simply deleting the fault codes on the engine management system or is there real "reprogramming" being done. If its simply fault codes then the local garage can fit the new battery at half the price. 

There are two possibilities here.

One is that they are simply resetting the battery monitoring system - which should be possible for any garage.

The other is that they may be applying a PCM update (new software) to change the way the battery charges.  That cannot be done by any garage other than a Ford dealership.

• Like 1

OK so bought a new battery (Bosch brand) for £92.00. Fitted it myself and all seems well, no error messages and no warning lights. 

Oh and ordered a Forscan obd2 scanner @£20 so should be able to see of there are error codes when it arrives.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have March 22 plate Kuga PHEV and had all the same issues as previous posts, dead battery, no access etc.

Garage came out with a booster and started it, took it away and 'reprogrammed' it, this was in early Feb, went for service last week along with the complaint re battery seemingly not fully charged due to 'kick' and passenger door handle refusing to work plus message to 'turn off ignition to save battery' message.

They reported battery at 43% and kept car overnight to fully charge, fully charged turned out to be 12.3 volts, and when I asked why the the battery was not changed due to 100% being only 12.3 volts was told their machine did not show it was faulty and therefore Ford would not pay for a replacement.

They told me the problem is the low miles covered and most are short journeys.

Bought a CTec charger, fitted a 2 pin socket in boot permanently connected to battery to save keep taking everything out and it just gets plugged in once or twice a week and seems to be the answer.

Don't know what it will do when on 3 weeks holiday as cant leave it plugged in for that time.

Watch this space..............   

Just a note regards to selling the car due to these issues, had the thing 10 months (less than a year old when bought) paid £32000 for it, we buy any car offered £22500!!!! and Evans Halshaw where it was bought from offered £18500!!!!!

Gonna have to drive it into the ground for that kinda stuff.

Maybe if you lease it or have it as a company vehicle you can chuckle but anyone like me who bought it might shed a tear.

Cheers

• Sad 2

Some guys have replaced the 12v battery with a larger AGM one, still fitting in the same place but using the second bolt down position. Others carry a booster battery unit incase of a flat battery. Both about £200 or thereabouts. Certainly cheaper than changing the car.

I’d agree with fitting the biggest battery that will fit. I fit a larger battery to my Focus. 

But stick with EFB. The charging system is designed, programmed and expecting an EFB. AGM batteries have a different charging profile. It may not last much longer than an EFB as it’s not optimised for it. The extra cost for an AGM isn’t worth it. 

Forscan is quite unreliable when it comes to correct programming if the battery. So don’t rely on people saying they select AGM on Forscan. Forscan didn’t recognise my factory battery config or the one for the larger battery that I got off a diesel with the same firmware. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club