Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Tax A Car Without Address

Turvey

As per heading, can you tax a car without supplying your address?

Reason for asking is that when we had the Qashqai we had notice of a recall, but owing to our location and the fact that it wasn't a serious recall, we ignored it. 

We traded it in last year but we're still getting letters from Nissan wanting to know who we sold it to as the DVLA don't have an address for the current owner even though it's been taxed for 3 months! We've told them at least twice that we traded it in at a local dealer and we don't know who owns it now but they still send us letters. 🤷

I'm in the process of writing out a really arsey reply to them in the hope that we don't hear from them again 😀

Have you checked the .gov site?  That shows the date of the most recent V5 issued.  The V5 obviously has the address on it and should be the system that Nissan has access to.  I doubt they'll have access to tax records.

• Thanks 1

Ah! Houston, we have a problem! 

This is the first time we've traded a car in and I wasn't involved in the dealings of this transaction but apparently the salesman said that he would sort out all of the paperwork. I can't recall getting any slips back and if we did it's long been dumped. 

Going to get our son to speak to the salesman tomorrow when he goes to work but I'm guessing we'll need to write to the DVLA now and tell them...... and maybe hold off with the reply to Nissan 😀

Screenshot_20220317-220231.png

• Like 1

Tell Nissan to contact the salesman for the address of the new owner. DVLA will not give you the address because of GDPR but thay might let Nissan have it to update their records.

• Thanks 1

According to our son, they off-loaded it to another dealer down in Inverness so could get complicated 😳 just hope that the new owners don't start jumping red lights and speeding past speed cameras! 🤞

It may be worth telling DVLA anyway - there's a form on the gov.uk website for doing so. I had a similar situation once and they should then send you a letter as confirmation. Keep the letter, as I found it very useful later when the police contacted me to say "my" vehicle had been involved in a speeding incident, and perhaps I could help them with their enquiries? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erictcleric said:

It may be worth telling DVLA anyway - there's a form on the gov.uk website for doing so. 

Problem with that is that you need the 11 digit number off the V5! 

Unless our son has luck at work looks like snail mail application is the only way forward, you don't need the number for that apparently.

Ah well. Plan B it is, but I found they were pretty responsive when I had to write to them.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club