Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 litre Ecoboost, is it reliable or are they likely to fail?

narbar

8 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I have to say these days there are so much on any cars that can go wrong /fail.

I have had my old 2011 titanium 1.6 for 9 years, never missed a beat,a nice simple 118 BHP with a nice bit of go in it.

Not a big fan of all these turbo engines pushing a little 1 litre block to its limit, saying that it's the majority of cars now.

Until the law changes and we can only buy new electric Milk floats. 😄

1.0L EcoBoost Reliability

Is the Ford 1.0 EcoBoost engine reliable? Yes, we believe this engine earns average to above average remarks for reliability. The 1.0L EcoBoost didn’t earn the best reputation in its early days. However, all brand new engines and designs have their share of kinks to work out. Many of the early 1.0 inline-3 turbo issues were worked out within the first couple years. As of now, the Ford 1.0 EcoBoost doesn’t suffer from any major design flaws, problems, or reliability issues.

Of course, maintenance is one of the keys to owning a reliable EcoBoost (and the same applies for any engine). Change all fluids on time, use high-quality oil, and fix problems if/when they occur. Do all of this and the Ford 1.0L EcoBoost can deliver great reliability. Luck does play a role, and sometimes people run into random, fluky failures. We can’t control that, and it can be said for any engine.

In summary, Ford 1.0 EcoBoost engines are very efficient and economic. They’re not all-out performance engines, but considering the tiny 1.0L displacement they do offer respectable power and torque. Combine that with a balance of good reliability, and the 1.0L turbo engine is a great choice.

Full article: https://tuningpro.co/ford-1-0-ecoboost-engine/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

1.0L EcoBoost Reliability

Is the Ford 1.0 EcoBoost engine reliable? Yes, we believe this engine earns average to above average remarks for reliability. The 1.0L EcoBoost didn’t earn the best reputation in its early days. However, all brand new engines and designs have their share of kinks to work out. Many of the early 1.0 inline-3 turbo issues were worked out within the first couple years. As of now, the Ford 1.0 EcoBoost doesn’t suffer from any major design flaws, problems, or reliability issues.

Of course, maintenance is one of the keys to owning a reliable EcoBoost (and the same applies for any engine). Change all fluids on time, use high-quality oil, and fix problems if/when they occur. Do all of this and the Ford 1.0L EcoBoost can deliver great reliability. Luck does play a role, and sometimes people run into random, fluky failures. We can’t control that, and it can be said for any engine.

In summary, Ford 1.0 EcoBoost engines are very efficient and economic. They’re not all-out performance engines, but considering the tiny 1.0L displacement they do offer respectable power and torque. Combine that with a balance of good reliability, and the 1.0L turbo engine is a great choice.

Full article: https://tuningpro.co/ford-1-0-ecoboost-engine/

And don't ever FLUSH! Ever!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

And don't ever FLUSH! Ever!

but remember to wash your hands !! 🤣

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, unofix said:

but remember to wash your hands !! 🤣

Mommy, Mommy, please may I lick the bowl?

No, you'll pull the chain, like everyone else!

• Haha 2

• 11 months later...

ShowSo why are ford building ecoboost engine knowing the problem cause to a blow engine i wish i NEVER  bought one now after the price and problem i had with it ford should be held responsible for this problem and recalled all ecoboost engine back to sort the problem out in the beginning like my 1.0 ecoboost car im not very happy with ford at all 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ray74 said:

im not very happy with ford at all 

Oh dear ! 🙄

Are you in the market for a new engine ?

5 hours ago, Ray74 said:

ShowSo why are ford building ecoboost engine knowing the problem cause to a blow engine i wish i NEVER  bought one now after the price and problem i had with it ford should be held responsible for this problem and recalled all ecoboost engine back to sort the problem out in the beginning like my 1.0 ecoboost car im not very happy with ford at all 

Because most people don't have a problem with it:

• Ford 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine named 2017 International Engine of the Year “Best Engine Under 1.0-litre” for the sixth year in a row
  • Fuel-efficient, compact and powerful engine has won 10 International Engine of Year awards since launch in 2012; powers one in five Ford vehicles sold in Europe
  • Like 3

Best not to say too much but this is now 2023 going on 2024. I would refer anybody considering buying a used Ford car with a 1.0 Ecoboost engine to the Facebook page - Ford Ecoboost Nightmare.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, Steven1212 said:

Get a 1.25. I’ve got a 2014 zetec 1.25 Fiesta and they’re super reliable. Bit slow but I don’t care. Cheap to maintain too 

My Fiesta 06 1.4 petrol done 123k miles on clock as it's still ran like a new. Orignal engine and gearbox too. Putting to shame of many of modern fords.
5 years ownerships and no break downs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ray74 said:

So why are ford building ecoboost engine knowing the problem

Afaik they're not building the original "wet belt" ecoboost (at least for Europe) since the demise of the Ecosport and Fiesta last year. Even then only the 100ps version had it, the majority of Fiesta models had the revised version with chain cam drive. Similarly the Mk 4 Focus and current Puma have had the revised engine since launch. There are still a few 100ps Fiestas and the odd Ecosport (which never got the revised engine) in dealer stock, though.

It's difficult to comment on any issues with a 9 or 10 year old car without knowing the full story/history.

Problems with older cars are nothing new. I had plenty of experience of mechanical issues with 10 year old cars when I started driving and in those days you had to cope with serious rusting problems as well. 

15 hours ago, Tiexen said:

Because most people don't have a problem with it:

Obviously we've seen many cases on here, but this has to be balanced against total production. Hard to find the full total, but over 1.6 million had already been built by 2019.

I know several people, including myself, who've had/still have them, with zero issues, BUT in all cases they were bought new and fully serviced. The issues we've seen, it seems, (there have been exceptions) mainly affect older cars with several owners and therefore no way of 100% verifying the history.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This morning when dropping the car off for a service at Ford (Yeah, I know!) I was offered a deal on an engine flush. Ford or not, I swiftly declined..! 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, BlueMike2021 said:

This morning when dropping the car off for a service at Ford (Yeah, I know!) I was offered a deal on an engine flush. Ford or not, I swiftly declined..! 

That's my point about Fraud Stealers being ****!.

I know loads of people who were offered flush or "emissions cleaning" as up sales, even on Ecobooms, knowing full well flush kills the belt.

I reckon that's why so many are going bang

And you'd never be able to prove it as nothing is logged

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I’m new here, spurred to join because my brother in law highlighted  issues with the eco boost engine wet belt and since looking on YouTube I keep getting video recommendations showing lots of cases.

I have a 68 plate 125bhp eco boost Fiesta.  Will that have a wet belt one how do I find that out?   It’s got 30,000 miles on the clock and is absolutely lovely to drive but I don’t want to be caught out.  It’s been dealer serviced twice, on 2 yearly intervals as the mileage is lower than required. 

And, sorry for my ignorance but what’s the reference to not flushing above about.  Flushing engine oil during changes was common in the past.

33 minutes ago, Paul4A said:

I’m new here, spurred to join because my brother in law highlighted  issues with the eco boost engine wet belt and since looking on YouTube I keep getting video recommendations showing lots of cases.

I have a 68 plate 125bhp eco boost Fiesta.  Will that have a wet belt one how do I find that out?   It’s got 30,000 miles on the clock and is absolutely lovely to drive but I don’t want to be caught out.  It’s been dealer serviced twice, on 2 yearly intervals as the mileage is lower than required. 

And, sorry for my ignorance but what’s the reference to not flushing above about.  Flushing engine oil during changes was common in the past.

A 68 plate Fiesta will definitely still use the old wetbelt engine.  You can confirm that by looking for the big silver turbo heatshield at the front of the engine.  That is not visible on the later chain driven engines, where the turbo is fitted behind the engine.

Flushing is adding a detergent to the oil before draining it.  Some of that detergent gets left behind after draining and immediately contaminates the fresh oil & starts attacking the wetbelt.  It is still acceptable to 'flush' using engine oil alone as had been done in the past, but really it is unnecessary on modern engines and would be a waste of both money and resources.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul4A said:

It’s been dealer serviced twice, on 2 yearly intervals as the mileage is lower than required. 

An oil/filter change at least annually is strongly recommended with the wet belt ecoboost, irrespective of Ford's service regime, and particularly with low mileage.

When I got my previous Mk 8 1.0 I queried how/why Ford were able to justify doubling the interval from 12 months and never found a convincing answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

An oil/filter change at least annually is strongly recommended with the wet belt ecoboost, irrespective of Ford's service regime, and particularly with low mileage.

When I got my previous Mk 8 1.0 I queried how/why Ford were able to justify doubling the interval from 12 months and never found a convincing answer.

It’s really strange as why the interval is 24mths.I don’t really understand as to why it is so long between oil changes.Here in Australia it has always been 12months or 6 months(for severe operating conditions)Servicing has always been time based.I also see Ford have actually admitted to the issues surrounding the wet belt failures(only from 2016 onwards mind you)

IMG_4862.jpeg

• Like 1

Clickbait video.  Ford aren't really admitting the engine failures.  They're blaming the failures of just automatics, only over a short period of time, on a belt tensioner bought in from a bearing manufacturer... 

They're not blaming their engine design, wet belt or servicing requirements...

• Like 2

Agreed it does seem a long period but that’s what Ford recommends.  
Just checked and the MyFord app lists services at two years or 18,000 miles, 4 years or 36,000 miles.

When I had my first Fiesta, a 1986 XR2 I used to change the oil every 3,000 miles, but I loved that car, had access to a garage with a pit, and kept it for 13 years and /over 170,000 miles.  It never used a drop of oil and ran beautifully, likely due to frequent oil changes.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paul4A said:

It never used a drop of oil and ran beautifully, likely due to frequent oil changes.

🤔 That does seem a bit of a contradictory statement 🤔

You changed the oil every 3000 miles !!!

Was looking at a 2019 Vignale recently with the 1l ecoboost engine. Have the issues been fixed for that model year? 

5 minutes ago, James said:

Was looking at a 2019 Vignale recently with the 1l ecoboost engine. Have the issues been fixed for that model year? 

If the turbo is fitted at the back of the engine next to the bulkhead then the problems have been fixed according to Ford.

If the turbo is fitted at the front of the engine next to the radiator then no, the engine is the old design and still has the wet belts.

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Business strategy. As far as they are concerned the car only has to last as long as the warranty. After that they don't really care. Indeed, it is not in their interests for their cars to last too long - they'd rather you came back and bought a new one. Furthermore, long service intervals can give the impression of longevity, reliability, low cost of ownership etc to prospective buyers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, unofix said:

If the turbo is fitted at the back of the engine next to the bulkhead then the problems have been fixed according to Ford.

If the turbo is fitted at the front of the engine next to the radiator then no, the engine is the old design and still has the wet belts.

Thanks will look this weekend if the car is still not sold at the dealership. Drove one before and I liked they way it drove. The reliability issues of this engine have put me off up to now. Its been 4 years away from Ford so would like to get a Ford for my next car.  

14 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Business strategy

Yes, only reason I could work out was to match VWs extended service regime especially for company car drivers. VW at least specified different oil for annual or extended changes though - and they don't have wet cambelts.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club