Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Galaxy high headlamp beam seems low?

GERNICK

Has anyone else got the problem where their high beam range seems very poor? 

I have tried adjusting via the internal electric switch, but still it's not very good.....even my old 2003 Honda Jazz seems to have better full beam range !

Any advice/tips please?

• 3 weeks later...

Technically, 100W bulbs are "Off Road Use Only" and on a modern car like yours, with the minimum amount of copper possible used in the cabling, I would not advise it.

What I would do is check the headlight alignment itself, ie the adjustment on the headlamp, not the adjustment on the dash.  Is the main beam itself aimed horizontally, or is it pointing downwards, the problem ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GERNICK said:

Could I put 100 watt bulbs in without upsetting the electrics of the car?

Not without the BCM going crazy when it detects almost twice the expected current draw, but at least at this time of year the wires will self defrost 🤣

• Haha 2

Fwiw, I've upgraded my dipped h7 beams to nightbreakers. Literally, night and day.

They're actually brighter than the full beams but obvs don't throw as far. They're next for upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

same here! I have upgraded to Halfords Advanced +200% Brighter H7 477 Headlight Bulb and asked them to fit it for me. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all very much for the advice.

I will get the alignment checked first by the garage, than look to upgrade the bulbs.

What engine do you have ? 🤔

I thought that the diesel engines fitted in the UK models were TDCi Duratorq. Or sometimes badged as EcoBlue.

The Ecotorq is a heavy duty diesel engine family primarily used in Ford Cargo heavy duty trucks

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, GERNICK said:

Thank you all very much for the advice.

I will get the alignment checked first by the garage, than look to upgrade the bulbs.

How did you get on with your alignment check? We also have a ‘17 Galaxy with what feel like, compared to our other car, very poor lights (main and dip) - my wife won’t even drive it in the dark and we can drive with full beam on with no flashes from the other direction suggesting something’s not quite right! I asked a local Halfords to check the alignment when we were passing recently and they said it’s within whatever the expected range is and while it has an mot fail a couple of years ago before we had it for excessively low alignment, it’s passed two without comment since we bought it. 

is there an adjustment screw or mechanism readily accessible where you could increase the height of the beam aim ‘within’ whatever range the Mot test allows I wonder? I had a Mondeo previously where that was quite easy, just a screwdriver to the top of the light units I think but not sure if the Galaxy has a similar mechanism?

Sandy

Yep 2016 driver here and I'm finding the headlights very poor indeed, I'm a taxi driver and only do back shift/ nightshift and finding the lights pee poor.

I have just started reading up on alternative bulbs

Many here have fitted the 'Autobeam' LED replacement lights. Technically they aren't allowed in the UK and could cause an MOT failure if they were noticed by the tester.

@StephenFord has them fitted to his Focus in Northern Ireland where the MOT test is a government operated testing station and his car passed with the Autobeam lights fitted.

29 minutes ago, unofix said:

@StephenFord has them fitted to his Focus in Northern Ireland where the MOT test is a government operated testing station and his car passed with the Autobeam lights fitted.

You are very close, they are actually, 'Auxito' bulbs, but I'm sure they're all made in the same Chinese factory LOL

• Thanks 1

Out of interest, has anyone driven a 15> Galaxy with both normal and the optional factory LED headlights to know if they are significantly better? I'm assuming different wiring etc means the LED units are not suitable for retrofit but we were considering replacing our current '67 Zetec for a slightly higher spec model and wondering if the LED lights (which seem to be a rare option even on the Titanium X) are worth seeking out?

31 minutes ago, macaulays said:

Out of interest, has anyone driven a 15> Galaxy with both normal and the optional factory LED headlights to know if they are significantly better? I'm assuming different wiring etc means the LED units are not suitable for retrofit but we were considering replacing our current '67 Zetec for a slightly higher spec model and wondering if the LED lights (which seem to be a rare option even on the Titanium X) are worth seeking out?

Before you make a rash decision, check out the cost of replacement when one eventually goes faulty, and put that in the 'con' list...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

check out the cost of replacement when one eventually goes faulty

Wise words indeed !! 👍

On 2/9/2024 at 3:45 PM, StephenFord said:

Before you make a rash decision, check out the cost of replacement when one eventually goes faulty, and put that in the 'con' list...

Oh really - are they prone to failure? Good to know. Has anyone ever driven a vehicle with them fitted to know if they're worth the effort of seeking out (and the cost of replacing of course!)? I don't think they were standard fit to any trim level that I've come across so possibly 'option only' and I don't think I've ever come across one with them fitted by chance. Not sure if the S-Max had them standard at any point? My wife's dead set against the current one though because of the poor 'regular' lights though so I though it might be worth investigating....

37 minutes ago, macaulays said:

and the cost of replacing of course

Between £700 and £1000 per headlight , not including fitting.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, unofix said:

Between £700 and £1000 per headlight , not including fitting.

That's mental, crazy price 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club