Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Young Drivers!,,

Gemma1984

Hopefully they fail their tests. :P

Haha, hopefully. Classic case of overconfidence. I'm hoping they get a fright and realise how much more difficult to drive well. I got pulled over for speeding once. Was an honest mistake, no boy racing or anything but I learned from it and always respect the rules of the road.

I, like many others on this forum, could admit to the "ocassional incident" of speeding at a minimum, sometimes its just rediculous to do it, I mean rush hour traffic with a young lad racing his old Golf, with his mix matching "gTi" letters on the bootlid was just rediculous. Needless to say a quick bout on an open dual carriageway in my standard "reasonably priced car", left him behind and hopefully means that he will think twice before he challenges someone else.

There will be very few of us on this forum who can say that they dont / havent sped intentionally. Anyone doing 80 on a motorway (even if the police do [respect?] that to be the average nowadays [and likely wont pull you over for it] will be lying outright.

I have "sped" past many a police car, and I wont change. I do overtake officers in the inside lane at 65, doing 80, if they pull me over, its my own fault, and I wouldnt deny it, but I wouldnt do the whole "angelic driver" attitude around a batteenburg car.

I do however love though, when young people do get pulled for an "excessive" speed... Only yesterday I was driving down the M2, some tarted gas bag rover came flying up behind me (I was doing about 73-75) I moved over and he passed me like a concorde, after a few miles I saw blue lights pop up on a motor I thought had "joined him" in a joy ride. He got out the car, and if there is any chance that he was over 18, then I will be well and truely shocked. Young people unfortunately are easier targets to the wider public the "inexperienced" and the "dangers of the road" are a few names, but I could equally say that a middle aged driver who may have been driving 20 years (but drives like a goon) could have 20 years worth of worse habits, and that would in essence also make him "inexperienced" (as far as driving legally is concerned) and it makes him / her more of a menace on the roads.

I, like many others on this forum, could admit to the "ocassional incident" of speeding at a minimum, sometimes its just rediculous to do it, I mean rush hour traffic with a young lad racing his old Golf, with his mix matching "gTi" letters on the bootlid was just rediculous. Needless to say a quick bout on an open dual carriageway in my standard "reasonably priced car", left him behind and hopefully means that he will think twice before he challenges someone else.

There will be very few of us on this forum who can say that they dont / havent sped intentionally. Anyone doing 80 on a motorway (even if the police do [respect?] that to be the average nowadays [and likely wont pull you over for it] will be lying outright.

I have "sped" past many a police car, and I wont change. I do overtake officers in the inside lane at 65, doing 80, if they pull me over, its my own fault, and I wouldnt deny it, but I wouldnt do the whole "angelic driver" attitude around a batteenburg car.

We do give a little leeway on speed on motorways.

If you're driving at 80mph in good conditions and a good straight clear motorway and not weaving like a drunk parrot we are more likely to just let it be, if you're driving like a richard then watch out.

Even before i went Plod i used to never be afraid of overtaking patrol cars, some of my cheeky 'colleagues' play games when bored and drive around at 25mph just to see how many people are afraid to overtake them, it's amazing how many will meekly drop behind them and sit there like Vicars on a sunday bimble.

Get past them, they cant nick yoy for doing 30 in a 30 zone.

I nip past patrol cars when off duty at 33mph and when they see who it is they just flash the lights once and go back to their games.

If you're driving at 80mph in good conditions and a good straight clear motorway and not weaving like a drunk parrot we are more likely to just let it be, if you're driving like a richard then watch out.

Even before i went Plod i used to never be afraid of overtaking patrol cars, some of my cheeky 'colleagues' play games when bored and drive around at 25mph just to see how many people are afraid to overtake them, it's amazing how many will meekly drop behind them and sit there like Vicars on a sunday bimble.

I nip past patrol cars when off duty at 33mph and when they see who it is they just flash the lights once and go back to their games.

In my experience, like what Stoney871 said, if your driving sensibly enough and not obviously obliterating the limit in any zone, the coppers wont bother - or in Fife they dont haha

As my dad always says, there are two types of fast driver - those who know when its safe and legal, and those who dont, not that i want[wanted] to, but i would never have got away with driving like a !Removed!.

I would like to think that I dont drive like a fool

Edited by Stoney871
swear words

Its amazing how somebody's driving style can change so quickly when they see a copper. Everyone then seems to become nervous and under enthusiastic, and to be honest i just follow suit, being 22 and in a Zetec S i can imagine them thinking like most that I'm a boy racer or show off. So sometimes i hold my hand up. But i think i drive well, iv been in car collisions and seen some stupid lucky escapes.

Personally for me it all comes down to self pride, I bought my car fully one off, i earn it i paid for it and i won't be doing any silly business that put it or me in danger. Respect the car and driving style and itl respect you, and so will coppers with reference to not driving like a dork.

Edited by Stoney871
swear words

Agreed, I will have to keep an eye out for the police tottering at 25 in my local area, they dont tend to bother though lol, after all, where I live, there always busy :P

Stoney mate your post about the eejit in the corsa is hilarious would of loved to have seen it. It's lil a holes like that that makes my insurance so high. I'm 22, passed my test at 17 on the first go, but I've technically only recently bought my first car a few months ago due to ridiculous insurance quotes. Luckily my first job was only 5min walk round corner from my old address and my second was only 10min so I never really needed a car that much.

Then in my jobs after that I was being sent to a different part of the country every week and the firms I worked for put me up in hotels and provided me with hire cars so in only 4 years of driving I have actually had a lifetime of driving experience and covered countless miles of motorways and round different cities and town centres etc and I don't even speed so I am actually quite a good driver. All my experience however and basically the equivelant of 4-5years no claims and actually having done pass plus and an advanced driving course, and driven litterally a different car if not 2 or 3 or more different cars each week wouldn't even make a dent in my insurance premium and I didn't have a rich mommy or daddy to buy me 2 cars for my 17th before I've even started learning, like some actual people I know. So I actually went to work, worked my butt off making an honest living and saved up to buy my own car and insured it myself fully comp cause I aint some chavvy lil yute driving round in a lil 1ltr nova with no insurance then wonder why fine officers of the law like yourself pulls em over with a big smile on your face and has there banger towed off to be crushed.

Thing is though I find it actually is mainly the older drivers causing a lot of trouble and it's 'young drivers' like me that get the blame. When working I now do 2 half hour motorway journeys a day, and I lose count of how many arseholes I get tailgating me when im doing 70, literally always in an audi right up my bumper trying to get me to move out the way even if theres an empty lane or 2 next to me so I just slow down and make em go round me cause I aint having it.

It's like the other day I drove the Mrs to an interview, then on the way back we had to go down a long narrow speed controlled road with a 20 limit and speed bumps all the way down the size of everest yards apart, no way you could even do 15 over them without ripping off your exhaust and it was also right by a school with cars parked up both sides. Anyway, me being a sensible driver was going slow through it trying not to kill my suspension going over the bumps, and some old moody a hole literally in his 60-70s was up my end the whole way down it, any closer and I'd of been on his bonnet so me and the Mrs are thinking what the hecks his problem, then he actually goes round me and cuts me up, in the wrong lane with cars coming towards him, then he continues to speed up must have been doing atleast 30-35 maybe even 40 (in a 20zone) between each speed bump and only slowing last second for them then speeding off again. Then after all that he got stuck at a red light and I pulled up right behind him anyway, then before the lights even went amber he shot off again at the junction.

Then maybe a day or 2 later driving home after a night shift I go down a road that starts off a 60 zone then drops to a 40 then to a 30 then back up to a 40 then down to a 30 again. All through the 60 I had some old a hole with his fogs on blinding me tailgating me all the way down, then I was coming upto the 40 so I slowed to 40, but he didn't like this and some how managed to tailgate even closer, then the 30 came up so I slowed to 30, and this is what put a big smile on my face. Right at the start of the 30 theres a little gated side road leading off to a park or somthing, and what do I see but a marked police SUV parked up waiting ready and a few yards down a further marked squad car and the way it was parked and how it was immediately after the 40zone, If you bombed through there doing any more than 30 and how dark it was you would of had to swerve out the way quick or plow into the back of it. Should have seen the a hole behind me slow right down, then as he cleared the squad car he overtook me on the wrong side of the road and was away in a shot.

Anyway thats my rant about bad drivers over for now =)

• 3 weeks later...

22 years old here, been driving since I was 18 and never had a accident, or a bump, or a scratch... or anything. I and I try not to drive offensively unless provoked.

First car was a Peugeot 106, but apart from a set of alloy wheels, I never modded it, and was well aware of the fact that with the car unable to break 75mph unless on an extreme downhill slope, I would be unlikely to impress any mates, potential sexual partners or other road users with my cars performance...

Young drivers do tend to be a pain in the bum with their cocky attitudes and gutsy driving displays despite their poor driving skills. But, I have to say, they are definitely only ONE class of poor driver out there on the road, and in fact, of the many encounters I've had with awful drivers, I'd say that young boy racers account for only a few.

For me it's older drivers and van drivers who are the worst. But generally I'd say that lack of driving skills occurs in any age group, and I've had altercations with all sorts.

Edited by Stoney871
swear words

For me it's older drivers and van drivers who are the worst. But generally I'd say that lack of driving skills occurs in any age group, and I've had altercations with all sorts.

Not that im a speed freak, Old Woman are the worst!!! There's a road thats 60 on the way to work, and i constantly end up behind this old woman in a Fiesta Zetec S (WTF???) and she does 30, barely 40mph and it drives me nuts, saying that, i still dont feel the need to tailgate/overtake on a bind hill or corner, like iv had people [some !Removed! in a BMW] do to me on the same road.

Well I'm 19, passed when I was 18 last feb, since then I've done pass plus and an advance driving course for company car drivers, the have done a period driving from Birmingham to sheffield every day for 4months ( in 2 month blocks ) in a range of company cars.

When doing these long journeys I just got on the motorway, set the cruise control and drove. Sitting in the slow lane unless overtaking not speeding ( no more than a few miles an hour over anyway ) but the amount of bad drivers I saw was incredible!! Pretty much seen everything, tailgating, swerving, heavy braking for no reason, parts falling off cars, a lorry drop a set of concrete stairs across an island ( or round about as i know people in other parts of the country have no idea what your going on about when you say island!! It's a birmingham thing apparently ) severe weather and snow on motorways.

Most of these were down to the drivers being stupid and inconsiderate, but some things were by accident and couldn't be avoided. But the worst tailgating and aggressive driving I find is normally an Audi, BMW, Merc corporate cars who are in too much of a rush to sell stuff than to be bothered with there own and everyone else's safety!!

Where I live most people have Rangies, high end Mercs, Bentleys those sort of cars and they are terrible drivers. They think just because they pay £60000 plus for a car that they own the roads!!! Nice to see the local plod have focus st's and jag xf's to catch them with :)

The rich old people are much worse than the young generation round here. However there are the local boy racers who all hang round outside the local take away in 106's, corsas and trashed fiestas with stupid blue lights and no ground clearance, wearing every type of track suit JD have to offer. Every time I drive past in my focus Zetec s they all look over in envy and gelousy, trying to look cool revving up the 1ltrs. Don't know what goes through their heads to make them want to look so tragically stupid

I stand by my opinion - my 15k car from brand new, is much cheaper than there 30k+ car, and if they want to try and write it off on my boot, I will let them, I get a new car, and they get a massive ding in the wallet with their insurance companies...

I stand by my opinion - my 15k car from brand new, is much cheaper than there 30k+ car, and if they want to try and write it off on my boot, I will let them, I get a new car, and they get a massive ding in the wallet with their insurance companies...

Exactly! The times I've looked in the mirror and just thought "Get a bit closer mate, go on, I dare you!" especially if they're on the phone as well!

Having said that, the hassle of going through insurance claims, having your car off the road etc isn't worth it... my sister is going through hell after some chav in an old Astra ran into the back of her. Both insurance companies are all but useless, though her's is more interested in getting her to claim for injuries <_<

lol, cool, so the insurers are now supporting bash cash schemes :P

I wouldnt care, I took out a hire car policy so I get the hire car whilst mines being sorted, and if my insurers dont work quick enough, I chase them and make sure they know about it, my claim with switcover few years ago was a nuisance, I kept complaining, and took it to the FSA, then all of a sudden my claim went through, and I got a cheque for compensation! woop!

my sister is going through hell after some chav in an old Astra ran into the back of her. Both insurance companies are all but useless, though her's is more interested in getting her to claim for injuries <_<

As the other driver hit her from behind its a done deal, 100% his fault.

Insurance companies love injury claims as they make 3 times more in costs than what you get in settlement.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club