Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Mobius Dashcam

mixmasterlooney

An hour sounds good. Any comments on the otg cable and mobile app, video performance sbd transfer time?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Btw there is an optional bigger battery available. People use it mostly on rc planes and similar things

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Works great mate transfer time to phone pretty quick if copying, watch vids directly using mxplayer, parameters can all be set.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

Opened up my mobius last night and reset it, i disconnected the battery and waited 60 seconds, after putting it back together everything was the same it got stuck once recording started.

I then tried to flashed the firmware supplied by the seller v1.17 with fail at first, the camera got stuck again once flashing mode started, i used the SD format tool and format the SD card, complete erase then flashed the camera, this worked and the firmware was updated, i then connected it to my pc where the windows software updated it self, rather smooth i might add.

Then came recording! the camera now records as normal and shut down once power it connected and disconnected, however if on battery if i try to record it then becomes stuck again! this has brought me the the conclusion my SD card is CRAP! probably a fake! the camera works perfect minus the SD card.

Firmware v1.17 is compatible with more SD cards than the stock firmware. Sent a message asking about a memory card for the camera to the seller.

James is it possible you could link me to where you got your SD card?

• Like 1

Yeah prob card, also seems like the 1.17 firmware has fixed some cards and broken some others lol. I've had my card ages mate, its a 16gb 'silicon power' class 10. Can't even remember where it came from but think it was 7dayshop.co.uk. my phone stopped connecting with my cam last night, after a lot of testing I think it is my otg cable, god knows how it has become faulty by now my phone won't read any memory sticks but I do get a brief connect/disconnect if i wiggle the cable. Also updating the firmware and formatting the SD card with the app wiped all my settings. Back on track now though.

• Like 1

I would say don't scrimp on a card - I got 2 Class 10 Sandisk 16gb cards for £25 from amazon - the real deal. Never had a problem in my mobius.

There are programs for windows out there that will test an sd card and tell you if it's a fake.

My laptop died on me a while back, so haven't been around lately.

Kurt - I have a Verbatim Class 10 32GB MicroSD card which I used to use in one of my phones, its now permanently in my Mobius, and it works fine - if you needed a recommendation.

----------------------------

Meanwhile, today I finally got around to installing the cords/wires and stuff in my car. As mentioned earlier, I bought the same cable as higgsy did. I wired it behind the sun visor, down behind the rubber seals on the door trim, under the glovebox, and up the side of the seat near the center console.

I had a generic 12V adaptor in my scrap box - tested it and it works fine. Pried off the metal DC jack on the other end, and soldered it to the connections of the cable higgsy bought.

Come testing time - FAIL. Once plugged into the 12V socket, the mobius dashcam just kept flashing random LED colors - red, blue and yellow. Also, the "transformer" section of the cable seems to be emitting a high pitched whining noise while operating.

It seems like the cable transformer may be faulty - but not 100% sure. Higgsy - any success with yours yet?

• Like 1

My laptop died on me a while back, so haven't been around lately.

Kurt - I have a Verbatim Class 10 32GB MicroSD card which I used to use in one of my phones, its now permanently in my Mobius, and it works fine - if you needed a recommendation.

----------------------------

Meanwhile, today I finally got around to installing the cords/wires and stuff in my car. As mentioned earlier, I bought the same cable as higgsy did. I wired it behind the sun visor, down behind the rubber seals on the door trim, under the glovebox, and up the side of the seat near the center console.

I had a generic 12V adaptor in my scrap box - tested it and it works fine. Pried off the metal DC jack on the other end, and soldered it to the connections of the cable higgsy bought.

Come testing time - FAIL. Once plugged into the 12V socket, the mobius dashcam just kept flashing random LED colors - red, blue and yellow. Also, the "transformer" section of the cable seems to be emitting a high pitched whining noise while operating.

It seems like the cable transformer may be faulty - but not 100% sure. Higgsy - any success with yours yet?

Well I hadn't as I am waiting for the other adapter to come (ordered both right and left angled cables and have only received one and its not the correct one I want to use) but so I could confirm for you I have just wired it up temporarily to an old 12v cig adapter I had lying about and tried in the 12v accessory socket - works 100%, no buzzing from the transformer, starts recording fine when powered up and stops recording after it is unplugged.

I would say you have a faulty unit mate, get onto the seller!

• Like 3

Well I hadn't as I am waiting for the other adapter to come (ordered both right and left angled cables and have only received one and its not the correct one I want to use) but so I could confirm for you I have just wired it up temporarily to an old 12v cig adapter I had lying about and tried in the 12v accessory socket - works 100%, no buzzing from the transformer, starts recording fine when powered up and stops recording after it is unplugged.

I would say you have a faulty unit mate, get onto the seller!

Thanks for testing it for me mate, appreciated.

Shame, as I waited so long for it to arrive, and that I did all the wiring in the car before I tested it. I should have tested it first - I tried to, but the leads I had with me at the time for my multimeter were too thick, so I couldn't measure the output voltage at the mini usb end.

Ah well, onto the seller then.

• Like 1

Thanks for testing it for me mate, appreciated.

Shame, as I waited so long for it to arrive, and that I did all the wiring in the car before I tested it. I should have tested it first - I tried to, but the leads I had with me at the time for my multimeter were too thick, so I couldn't measure the output voltage at the mini usb end.

Ah well, onto the seller then.

Unlucky bud, that's a shame. What's the quality of the cable like and does anyone know what thickness the cable is? The actual copper wire.

The kind of buzzing you've described could be a fault of short circuit/ wires touching together or close enough, check for rips along the wire.

I haven't actually bought it yet still trying to smooth out my probs.

Speaking to the seller he thinks it could be a compatibility issue with the memory card or a faulty battery, he's sending me a new battery and a 32gb kingston micro sd card once I send over payment for the sd card.

From my experience I must strongly advice properly charging your cam before first use, don't be typical man and ignore your camera manual like I did :lol:

So far though my temp set up is working well, I have also experience the whole unstable power thing where 3 seconds of noise and out of balance colours were displayed, I can confirm the car built in usb connector is not a good power source, power is unstable and at times it randomly turns on from just locking or unlocking the car :huh:

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

• Like 2

The wires them selves are thin but no more thin than would be in a normal USB cable.

I charged my battery when I got it but it was fully charged in like 10 mins, so was pretty much full when I got it. The unit switches off the charging when the battery is full, so there really is no need to charge any longer than when the green LED turns off.

• Like 1

Unlucky bud, that's a shame. What's the quality of the cable like and does anyone know what thickness the cable is? The actual copper wire.

The kind of buzzing you've described could be a fault of short circuit/ wires touching together or close enough, check for rips along the wire.

I haven't actually bought it yet still trying to smooth out my probs.

Speaking to the seller he thinks it could be a compatibility issue with the memory card or a faulty battery, he's sending me a new battery and a 32gb kingston micro sd card once I send over payment for the sd card.

From my experience I must strongly advice properly charging your cam before first use, don't be typical man and ignore your camera manual like I did :lol:

So far though my temp set up is working well, I have also experience the whole unstable power thing where 3 seconds of noise and out of balance colours were displayed, I can confirm the car built in usb connector is not a good power source, power is unstable and at times it randomly turns on from just locking or unlocking the car :huh:

To be honest - its just your average cheapo chinese cable - as higgsy mentioned the strands of copper are very thin - I would have liked it to be thicker, but it may just suffice. As he also mentioned - its about the thickness of USB wire strands.

((The quality of the 'transformer' section is more important IMO - tempted to rip it apart and see the 'workmanship' first hand - as some cheap thoughtless designs can be downright dangerous.))

Hmm - don't think there are rips along the wire. I did my best to solder the connections very thoroughly, and used a decent bit of electrical tape too.

I am somewhat lucky I didn't damage the unit though - which could have easily happened. Would have been quite !Removed! if a £2 eBay cable broke my £50 dashcam! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Got bored of waiting for the other cable so wired it in this morning. Realised all I needed to do was tap into the loom I had rigged in for my auto dimming rear view mirror, thus not needing to run any cables again, so all work was done above the interior light, piggy backed onto the ignition live cable and attached ground to the roof ground bolt. As you can see I have 2 cables at the moment, but the aim when/if the other cable comes is to route the cable with the rear view mirror cable in the cable tidy thus making it one. I think the cable tidy just neatens it up a bit.

IMG_20140221_121229_zpsjqi8vg6f.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good higgsy.

An update from me - today I tried plugging in my dashcam again today - lo and behold it works! :blink:

Recorded for about 30 minutes of driving in the morning and evening, it worked on two separate occasions.

Glad I don't have to tear it all apart! *Touch wood*

• Like 2

Nice one Steve!

I had some good news today, got my new usb otg cable for my phone and itis now picking up the dashcam perfectly again, god knows why the old one stopped working, but can now watch/copy and do settings via my phone again.

• Like 2

Sigh...

Went on a long drive yesterday, and somewhere around the 30/35 minute mark it stopped recording. Tried turning it on both with and without external DC power from the car many times, just wouldn't work. Admittedly, it made me feel a bit uncertain around all the bad drivers in London. :rolleyes:

Got home later in the evening, and connected it to the PC, left it charging for a while, and everything works normally again.

A theory is that the cable I bought (the left angled thingy) cannot supply enough current to both charge AND keep the camera recording and therefore the camera ran out of battery, and switched off? I really don't know.

At the moment, I have contacted the seller, and I am buying the 1A car charger and cable from him to be safe, and rule out any power related issues. Last night I also formatted my SD card inside it using the mSetup.exe tool.

Mines Still going OK, spent an hour today watching my Mrs dodgy driving, think I'm going to have to mute the mic tho her/my daughters singing was atrocious :lol:

• Like 2

Mines Still going OK, spent an hour today watching my Mrs dodgy driving, think I'm going to have to mute the mic tho her/my daughters singing was atrocious :lol:

Haha dare you to post it james.

• Like 1

Haha dare you to post it james.

I think my Mrs would batter me if I did haha!

• Like 2

It would be alot like one of those Russian dashcam videos with james hanging onto the bonnet for his dear life whilst his lady plow through bins and fences :lol:

Update: finally got round to ordering everything needed! Hopefully it all works if not I will be building a home made wiring loom with a transformer from a generic 12v usb adaptor

• Like 2

Got my Mobius delivered last week and cannot rate it highly enough. Initially had some issues with a class 10 Sandisk card (may have been a fake) so popped out to PC World and got a class 4 PNY - works perfectly now.

Had a watch of the Skoda mechanics taking my car in to the workshop this morning ;)

BhQl7ruCUAAfzlG.jpg

• Like 1

Are you going to hard wire it in dude? :- ) glad you've joint the club

• Like 1

Mine is already hard wired in using cable from a previous camera.

• Like 2

Does sound like a good camera, I fancy comparing mine to the mobius and see what the differences are!

• Like 1

Don't suppose you know if software provided works on imac? I don't have a Microsoft laptop/PC at home?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club