Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

4 hours ago, SeanW said:

You could flog it under the brand name "CardPat Compost" :lol:

Trademark/copyright that name lol.  Might be something worth investing in as farmers won't take cardboard, as it's to high risk(staples etc)

5 hours ago, GMX said:

Carboard and silage rich cow manure make excellent balanced compost:smile:

Shredded cardboard is even better, it will compost within 6 weeks, if shredded

You don't want silage lol,  You want FYM(farm yard muck) as it has straw in it and straw rots better & differently to silage

It's looking like alternator, just on the output tests on their own, nevermind the DTCs:laugh:

Interesting output from the alternator, 12.7V @ idle (same as the battery), 11.6V @ 2000rpm and no load, 12.04V @ 2000-3000rpm with the all lights, the wipers, the stereo and blower on.

Amongst the DTCs, I have P1632 Smart Alternator Output Circuit

12 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

You don't want silage lol,  You want FYM(farm yard muck) as it has straw in it and straw rots better & differently to silage

I meant silage after it's passed through the cow and come out the other end.

I don't like how confusing buying mobile phones is these days.

Pay as you go credit now apparently expires each month...err, surely that's pay monthly, unlimited texts within that month are no use to some of us lol.

The phone I'm looking at is £20 cheaper on PAYG than SIM free...but only if I top up £10...still £10 cheaper than SIM free, but I only use 5-10 texts in a month, no minutes or data so a massive waste of the tenner top up. 

What's really annoying though is I missed out on the same phone for £50 cheaper on eBay brand new.  But I mailed the seller and waited for a confirmation of them being new and unlocked....he never replied and they'd all sold by the next day. :(

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like how confusing buying mobile phones is these days.

Pay as you go credit now apparently expires each month...err, surely that's pay monthly, unlimited texts within that month are no use to some of us lol.

The phone I'm looking at is £20 cheaper on PAYG than SIM free...but only if I top up £10...still £10 cheaper than SIM free, but I only use 5-10 texts in a month, no minutes or data so a massive waste of the tenner top up. 

What's really annoying though is I missed out on the same phone for £50 cheaper on ebay brand new.  But I mailed the seller and waited for a confirmation of them being new and unlocked....he never replied and they'd all sold by the next day. :(

Have you looked at Giffgaff, providing you top up every three months, you credit won't expire.  Although they also have "Goodybags" which do expire monthly for the more intense user, that work out cheaper, if you use data. When Sainsbury Mobile shut down I went over to Giffgaff with the goodybag PAYG, after I realised data on just airtime credit was a bit expensive. They use O2 network

Or there's provider James (jeebo) was on about, which is aimed at the light user, I think it uses the "3" network

Edited by GMX
URL added

Why people cannot take responsibility for their own actions I will never know.  If I make a mistake, I OWN UP TO IT.  AND I DON'T DO IT AGAIN.  Some people cannot process that in their ignorant brains.

• Like 1

It appears after cross checking the part numbers on my faulty alternator label, one of the previous owners (or their mechanic), has fitted the wrong alternator:ohmy:

This one, whilst a Denso made for Ford, has a much lower amperage, it's rated at 105A.  The alternator I should have is 150A.  Not only is it faulty, it's the wrong one!

Now I need to ascertain what length, the shaft to the coupler is, apparently there are two different lengths.  I'll have to have it off to measure that, it's nigh on impossible to measure it, fitted:unsure:

9 minutes ago, GMX said:

It appears after cross checking the part numbers on my faulty alternator label, one of the previous owners (or their mechanic), has fitted the wrong alternator:ohmy:

This one, whilst a Denso made for Ford, has a much lower amperage, it's rated at 105A.  The alternator I should have is 150A.  Not only is it faulty, it's the wrong one!

Now I need to ascertain what length, the shaft to the coupler is, apparently there are two different lengths.  I'll have to have it off to measure that, it's nigh on impossible to measure it, fitted:unsure:

Did you manage to get the Vauxhall running again?  If so, could you drive that until the Focus is fixed?  Not that I'm advocating driving a Vauxhall, of course! :laugh:

51 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Did you manage to get the Vauxhall running again?  If so, could you drive that until the Focus is fixed?  Not that I'm advocating driving a Vauxhall, of course! :laugh:

The Astra currently has a seized/jammed starter motor, and is 6ft further down the drive, than it was yesterday. It's also Sorn since the Focus purchase. As I work from here, I don't have a commute as such. Or my commute is from the kitchen downstairs to the office upstairs.

Most of motor factors do next day delivery, there's Bosch exchange alternator on Europarts website that with our club discount, (assuming the shaft length is the right) is only £54 (after they've got the old unit back) which is significantly cheaper than anyone else, so far:yes:

I can use my Mum's Mk1 if the need arises.  I doubt I'll Focus-less for long

14 minutes ago, GMX said:

The Astra currently has a seized/jammed starter motor, and is 6ft further down the drive, than it was yesterday. It's also Sorn since the Focus purchase. As I work from here, I don't have a commute as such. Or my commute is from the kitchen downstairs to the office upstairs.

Most of motor factors do next day delivery, there's Bosch exchange alternator on Europarts website that with our club discount, (assuming the shaft length is the right) is only £54 (after they've got the old unit back) which is significantly cheaper than anyone else, so far:yes:

I can use my Mum's Mk1 if the need arises.  I doubt I'll Focus-less for long

I worked from home briefly, and would love to go back to that.  Sadly finances won't permit me to do so.

13 hours ago, GMX said:

Have you looked at Giffgaff, providing you top up every three months, you credit won't expire.  Although they also have "Goodybags" which do expire monthly for the more intense user, that work out cheaper, if you use data. When Sainsbury Mobile shut down I went over to Giffgaff with the goodybag PAYG, after I realised data on just airtime credit was a bit expensive. They use O2 network

Or there's provider James (jeebo) was on about, which is aimed at the light user, I think it uses the "3" network

I already have a SIM with a reasonable tariff (4p texts) and I'm not sure when that expires...I remember topping up in March last year as I'd used a different town for the top up and got stuck in crash traffic on the way home...desperate for a number 2. :(  But I can't remember topping up since then lol, maybe I haven't! :lol:

The problem I'm having is buying a replacement phone for said SIM card.  It's cheaper to buy one with a new SIM (and £10 top up) than without.  However the only options on PAYG at carphone warehouse seem to be this rolling monthly thing, so I'll essentially be paying £10 top up for the first month to use less than 10 texts, a pound a text is a bit excessive lol.  I don't use any minutes as I can't make with phone calls, and I don't use data as I just wait until I'm home and use WiFi.  So it is only a couple of texts here and there, and peace of mind that if I do get into difficulty and had absolutely no choice that I could call an emergency service (I hope).

I did see Jeebs thread but not sure I trust that company tbh. :s

Tom try going into carphone warehouse, I find its quite a mixed bag online, but in store humans can help sometimes..

Don't like people parking in my spot.  Do you live at number 50??? NO.  Did you pay £125k for number 50?? NO.  DON'T PARK IN MY BEEP SPOT THAT HAS NUMBER 50 IN BIG WHITE LETTERS.  I don't do it to anyone else, if someone is coming around to my house, I tell them to park in my spot and I'll park on the lawn.  It really really brasses me off

4 minutes ago, Ianb said:

Park right behind them?

next door neighbour had parked in his spot so I couldn't, I park infront of them, as close as I could.  I'm not on a cul de sac as such, we're on like a D shape.  The road(estate) is on the straight bit of the D, then the middle of the D is all greenery and then there are 10 houses (5 sets of 2 semi detached) around the curve of the D and the cars are parked on the road but with the number of the houses.

56 minutes ago, Ianb said:

Tom try going into carphone warehouse, I find its quite a mixed bag online, but in store humans can help sometimes..

Not keen on humans tbh... :lol:

24 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

Don't like people parking in my spot.  Do you live at number 50??? NO.  Did you pay £125k for number 50?? NO.  DON'T PARK IN MY BEEP SPOT THAT HAS NUMBER 50 IN BIG WHITE LETTERS.  I don't do it to anyone else, if someone is coming around to my house, I tell them to park in my spot and I'll park on the lawn.  It really really brasses me off

Could write a polite note for their screen?  Or fit some of those removable bollards for when you're out lol.

We don't have numbered spaces here, but I'd been using the same space everyday for 5 months, then my Neighbour suddenly started to use my space once or twice a fortnight...  Really annoying but nothing I can do as they're not numbered lol.

Ah Yeh I get what you mean, I was thinking of nose in or tail in parking for some reason, rather than parallel...

Tom, I'm not keen on people myself, but might be able to get someone who speaks a small amount of sense to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I already have a SIM with a reasonable tariff (4p texts) and I'm not sure when that expires...I remember topping up in March last year as I'd used a different town for the top up and got stuck in crash traffic on the way home...desperate for a number 2. :(  But I can't remember topping up since then lol, maybe I haven't! :lol:

The problem I'm having is buying a replacement phone for said SIM card.  It's cheaper to buy one with a new SIM (and £10 top up) than without.  However the only options on PAYG at carphone warehouse seem to be this rolling monthly thing, so I'll essentially be paying £10 top up for the first month to use less than 10 texts, a pound a text is a bit excessive lol.  I don't use any minutes as I can't make with phone calls, and I don't use data as I just wait until I'm home and use WiFi.  So it is only a couple of texts here and there, and peace of mind that if I do get into difficulty and had absolutely no choice that I could call an emergency service (I hope).

I did see Jeebs thread but not sure I trust that company tbh. :s

Oh I misread your post, I thought you were having issues with finding a cheap network provider.

Apart from my current LG (which was someone's unwanted upgrade), I've always bought from independent phone shops, online, in the last few years.  Sometimes via ebay/amazon: sometimes from their own websites.  The phones have always been unlocked and they weren't bundled with a SIM unless, you specifically ordered one. 

• Like 1

So finished milking rather quickly tonight.... Why, because I had ad lib Mint Humbugs from Morrisions, thought to myself, christ I'm bouncing off the walls.... Looks at packaging, see much sugar is in the sweets...  Now feel like my head is going to go KAPLUNK on the kitchen table lol

1 hour ago, Preecematt said:

So finished milking rather quickly tonight.... Why, because I had ad lib Mint Humbugs from Morrisions, thought to myself, christ I'm bouncing off the walls.... Looks at packaging, see much sugar is in the sweets...  Now feel like my head is going to go KAPLUNK on the kitchen table lol

I can't understand people getting "high" from sugar.  Mind you, I don't get a reaction from anything.  Smoking, eating sugar or drinking alcohol even doesn't make me feel any different. 

1 minute ago, jmurray01 said:

I can't understand people getting "high" from sugar.  Mind you, I don't get a reaction from anything.  Smoking, eating sugar or drinking alcohol even doesn't make me feel any different. 

To be honest I don't but I had about 3/4 of a pack and 3 sweets(25g approx) had 17.9g of sugar lol + I'd had a strong Costa beforehand with lunch, so I was already 'buzzing' off that

It was probably the caffeine not the sugar lol!!

Also, good luck with the effects of all those mint humbugs in the bowel department!! :P

1 hour ago, Preecematt said:

Surely you can only milk as fast as the cows empty?:unsure:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

To be honest I don't but I had about 3/4 of a pack and 3 sweets(25g approx) had 17.9g of sugar lol + I'd had a strong Costa beforehand with lunch, so I was already 'buzzing' off that

Caffeine is another thing, I can drink 2 litres of energy drink (literally!) and just feel "normal".  I think my body is immune to pretty much any stimulant!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club