Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

14 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

An old glaziers trick is to lightly apply cling film to it. ...but that wont be cheap to replace.

In Asda, cling film is only £2/roll not that expensive to replace LOL

• Haha 2

The glass doesn't seem to be too bad at the moment. I've had a number of units replaced recently and it wasn't as bad as I feared. It seems to be the frames which have gone up loads, but that won't need replacing here.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder... :sad: 

Scan/redeem soon… or lose your BPme Rewards points

Wow, it's been nearly TWO years of inactivity, Tom! So, sadly, on 31 August 2023 your account will be deleted and you'll lose all the points you've collected so far. To avoid this, just scan your BPme Rewards card/app with a qualifying purchase* or redeem your points before 31 August 2023!

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks for the reminder... :sad:

Now, have you just not been to a BP station, OR, is your current tank of fuel on it's way to a record breaking 1000 MPG? 😂

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Now, have you just not been to a BP station, OR, is your current tank of fuel on it's way to a record breaking 1000 MPG? 😂

Haven't been able to drive for 2 years now. :down:

On the plus side, at least I can take my mind off that by spending several hours a day on a car forum. :laugh: 

• Like 1

I don't like posting a reply to @StephenFords topic on credit cards only to find it disappeared and the topic was blocked. Are Coutts monitoring the site now?😀

• Haha 2

its still there for me

5 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

its still there for me

Yes, it's my post that disappeared. The topic is there but locked.

15 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I don't like posting a reply to @StephenFords topic on credit cards only to find it disappeared and the topic was blocked. Are Coutts monitoring the site now?😀

Actually I requested it be closed, it was veering off into a dark sinister heading which was not my intention . Sorry to be a party pooper 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Actually I requested it be closed, 

Yeah, I understand your reasoning there.  You might have done it before I'd composed my post though!😀

• Haha 1

Thought they were restricting our freedom of speech there.  Was just about to cut up my laptop! 😮 

• Haha 2

I remember advice from the Highway Code booklet, from the early 1970s when all windscreens were toughened glass. It said in the event your windscreen should break whilst you are in motion, smash a hole in front of you for visibility with your fist! (With a line drawing of this being done). Just imagine the health and safety nightmare of that advice now.

How many other people bought old second hand cars of that period, like me, only to find the heater unit full of broken glass. Ah memories.

• Like 1

The Complex World of BRAKE Lights on Modern Cars. - Especially on EV's

This might be news to many. Apologies that this is a North American take on the subject but, much of it applies to the UK.

It might also be of interest to @iantt ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, unofix said:

The Complex World of BRAKE Lights on Modern Cars. - Especially on EV's

This might be news to many. Apologies that this is a North American take on the subject but, much of it applies to the UK. 

Fabulous video! Would be interesting to see if the number of insurance claims for rear end shunts increase, and if the insurance companies then lobby car manufactures to use some basic common sense!

• Like 1

Recently I've had the misfortune to be behind two different EV's on a motorway. In each case they were in the outside lane doing approximately 70MPH. My car was running on cruise control also set at 70MPH. I became very frustrated with the car in front as the brake lights would keep coming on, seemingly at random as I could see the road ahead of the car was totally clear. Every time this happened I'd touch my own brake pedal which of course would disengage cruise. After this happened a number of times I began to suspect that each time the driver was easing off his electric accelerator, it was causing the brake lights to come on.

Hence me trying to find info on this subject and I came across the above which seems to say that at the moment what each manufacturer is doing with the brake lights is a bit of a lottery. 🤔 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hence me trying to find info on this subject and I came across the above which seems to say that at the moment what each manufacturer is doing with the brake lights is a bit of a lottery

Thanks for posting that! I recently had a similar experience following a Polestar 2 on a dual carriageway and I thought at the time the guy must have been on drink/drugs! This could be the answer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

following a Polestar 2

Funny enough the second time it happened to me it was a Black Polestar 🙄

• Haha 1

You lot don't want to be behind me when I close the throttle on my ice motorcycle. No braking or brake lights then either. Good old fashioned engine braking. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, unofix said:

Every time this happened I'd touch my own brake pedal which of course would disengage cruise. After this happened a number of times I began to suspect that each time the driver was easing off his electric accelerator, it was causing the brake lights to come on.

This isn't so much a problem with the brake lights, as being in an intermediate period with vehicle specs.  Adaptive cruise has been standard on every Golf since 2012.  It should definitely have been standard on the Mk4 Focus from release in 2018!  When all cars on the motorway are speeding up & slowing down together, that'll massively improve traffic flow.

Funny enough the second time it happened to me it was a Black Polestar 🙄

Mine was black also!

I think I've now figured out what was happening that time. The car eventually peeled off and took a turning into somewhere I know there is an EV charger. So I reckon the guy had been low on charge, searching for a charger on his nav and slowing slightly every exit until he came to the right one.

Yet another thing to add to the "treat with caution" list!

• Like 1

...I became very frustrated with the car in front as the brake lights would keep coming on, seemingly at random as I could see the road ahead of the car was totally clear...

A couple of weeks ago I had the exact same experience. The car in front (an EV as I saw the green stripped number plate) was flickering on/off brake lights. It fristrated me so much that I ended up undertaking him as I just assumed the guy was a prat and didn't know how to drive!

2 hours ago, iantt said:

Good old fashioned engine braking. 

Which has disappeared to some degree from modern cars with (relatively) low compression to suit turbos, plus high gearing etc for economy and emissions.

I found the 1.0 ecoboost, for example, would coast for ages on a slight downgrade or even flat road in top gear, whereas an old car (diesel especially) would have slowed down PDQ.

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

as I just assumed the guy was a prat

Best to assume that anyway, I find!

But another thing I've now experienced twice with EV drivers is cars pulling out in front of you and dawdling along until you end up pulling out to overtake. At that point they floor it** leaving you on the wrong side of the road.

Whether they were just prats to start with and taking the p*ss, or something about the EV gets you driving differently, I'm not sure!

(**Whatever your views on EVs, some of these things can really shift!).

I don't like the alarm going off in the Focus at 3am this morning! Second time it's happened in the last couple of weeks 😡

Think I'm going to hunt for the fuse and remove it, not like anyone would want to steal it 😃

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club