Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Serious Engine Issue

matt.leese3

Hi all,

A week after fixing my cooling system, another issue arises :unsure: 

I had just exited a roundabout accelerating and suddenly the engine lost power, whenever I pushed the throttle the car would judder violently and felt like it was misfiring/lack of compression in a cylinder. It was drive-able therefore managed to nurse it home and left it for the night. The next morning the car struggled to start and when running was burning oil.

As it was something I had not done, I cleaned the EGR with Wynns EGR cleaner spray and took it for a short run. Still burning oil and felt like a misfire.

Around 200 yards from my house, the revs suddenly rocketed up to the red without throttle so I cut the engine, at this point smoke poured from under the bonnet (burning oil).

Pushed the car home myself and felt like a may have a heart attack! I haven't had chance to inspect any further due to work.

The car would not turn over at all after being pushed home, and would not turn over this morning when I tried. On both attempts the solenoid clicked and it sounded like the door locks actuated. From this I assume the engine is seized?

My only thought is that a piston ring failed and has now been fried.

No codes are thrown up at all.

FYI: Ford Focus 2008 1.8TDCI Duratorq, 83,000mi, brought in Nov 2015 for £3750.

Throw me your ideas and thoughts! 

Thanks in advance.

wow sounds like you may be right and the rings went dumping oil in the system its a Nasty repair to fix doing it yourself can save a fortune or just replace the engine altogether and there were no indications prior to this

To me it sounds like your turbo failed and you had a run away engine if so the engine is basically scrap

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Nope, nothing to suggest an issue beforehand. I can't see the point in paying a garage to diagnose the issue so it looks like a recon engine or sell as non-runner. Although I wouldn't mind having a poke around to see if there is anything obvious.

I had better find my thinking cap!

26 minutes ago, JamesV said:

To me it sounds like your turbo failed and you had a run away engine if so the engine is basically scrap

I guess that is also feasible, talking about ancillaries this would render the turbo useless, but what about injectors?

I would say if the turbo has gone and the engine has seized I would not even bother about the injectors as you don't know what has happened to them before hand unless you take them to a diesel machine shop to get them checked over etc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club