Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

The rise of dog clothes?

GMX

Whilst certain sporting and working dogs have clothes for their roles, coats for greyhounds and gundogs, protective boots for police dogs, there seems to be a massive increase in people putting human type clothing on their dogs!:ohmy:

Dogs have fur and are waterproof, they have no modesty to hide, they don't need clothing! 

It was perhaps more noticeable than it usually is this morning, on account of the rain.

First there was a whippet with his two women, dressed in a green hat with flaps for his ears, a raincoat with a tail hole shod what appeared to be thigh length dog wellies. Co-incidently, his two women themselves weren't really dressed properly for the rain; but they are always less dressed than their whippet.  We see him every morning, he's always dressed in an matching hat and coat, he also stops for a drink at the bowl, I put at the end of the drive for local dogs.

Then we encountered an GSD who actually looked like he/ was embarrassed by what his man had him attired in, a bright orange one piece thing, a cross between a frog suit with shaped ears and a padded coverall/sleeping bag with his tail sticking out the back through hole.  He didn't look very comfortable at all. :sad: He had no flap or hole for his toilet needs that I could see:ohmy:

When we got to Corfe Mullen rec, there was a family with their three Jack Russells all dressed in yellow ponchos complete with yellow dog shoes.  Dog shoes, that didn't seem to have grippy soles, so the poor dogs were sliding about trying to get a foothold on the mud:sad:

I've never felt that Brandy is inadequately dressed and I must attire her in clothing, I'm not quite sure why you might think otherwise

Has anyone else noticed a rise in dog clothes, or even feels the need to clothe their dog?:unsure:

Personally with one exception I don't see the point in them, same as putting Halloween horns on an animal, it looks stoopid. 

The one exception is security to shirts on bulldogs and the like, they're quite funny

I bought a dog coat for my EBT as she's thinning her coat now, she's nearly 12yrs old, but the mare won't be seen dead outside wearing it 'no I refuse, I ain't going out there! I look silly! The other dogs will laugh at me' lol

My Aunt used to have a Westie who had (amongst other things) pyjamas and Christmas jumpers. Needless to say, he looked quite ridiculous in them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, hywelkidd said:

My Aunt used to have a Westie who had (amongst other things) pyjamas and Christmas jumpers. Needless to say, he looked quite ridiculous in them.

Pyjamas? :jawdrop:Did she put them on him every night?:shocking:

I think they were for the winter.

Putting clothes on pets is just plain wrong.:iim: Having said that I had a boxer dog who loved to wear the hood of my then young sons parker, complete with fur trim.

• Like 1

Brandy loathes to be covered, even with a towel when she's being dried, or the corner of an accidental duvet when I'm getting up and she's still on the bed

• Like 1

Anthropomorphizing of pets is reaching a rediculous level.

They're dogs not children FFS.

The only time my dogs wear anything other than collars is when in work harnesses, protective vests or kevlar boots in areas where paws need protecting.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Took our little Yorkie out for a walk one winter's day and he shivered so much it was unreal, so got him a sleeveless body warmer, he only wears this on very cold days.

I can kinda understand rain coats to ease the drying process and helping stop your house getting mucky.

OP: The water bowl is a nice idea but could potentially spread disease. You don't want to be accused of anything!!

9 minutes ago, Jon84 said:

OP: The water bowl is a nice idea but could potentially spread disease. You don't want to be accused of anything!!

The water bowl is washed and then sterilised every morning before I put it out again and also if I need to replenish the water in it, during the day

It's not permanently out there, I remove at around 10:30pm and put it out again before I take Brandy on her morning walk at 7am ish

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GMX said:

The water bowl is washed and then sterilised every morning before I put it out again and also if I need to replenish the water in it, during the day

It's not permanently out there, I remove at around 10:30pm and put it out again before I take Brandy on her morning walk at 7am ish

Which is cool as long as one dog doesn't drink out of it right after an ill dog. 

Our vets doesn't have a bowl out because of it, you ask for fresh water. But then again, they are ill dogs at the vets!

• Like 1