Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How difficult is it to replace a front wheel bearing on a 2006 mk2 ford focus ?

Fastlife91

I have replaced car radiator, thermostat, steering arms, track rod ends, and a couple of other little things.

It appears a front wheel bearing needs replacing on my car, I really really want to attempt this myself but have never done one before, I just love the feeling aftter doing a job successfully and getting in my car, it really makes me happy.

I would appreciate if you could give me an idea of what the job would entail, what I could expect and how difficult you personally would say it is.  also please would you give me a shortlist of the tools required to do said job ?

regards

22 minutes ago, stef123 said:

unless you have a hydraulic press, good luck lol 

what is a hydraulic press ?  how are they used ?

edit : I don't know what a press for a wheel bearing is, am I right in thinking it is to press the bearing out from the hub ?  The wheel bearing on my car is complete with the hub so it will not need to be pressed out, is this correct ?

thanks 

thank you so much

Oops just realised this is a mk2 2006 focus, silly me.

you'll either need the clam Shell parts for a press or a gen2 wheel bearing kit. Otherwise don't bother

24 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Oops just realised this is a mk2 2006 focus, silly me.

you'll either need the clam shell parts for a press or a gen2 wheel bearing kit. Otherwise don't bother

sorry but what is ''clam Shell part for a press''  or a gen2 wheel bearing kit ?

why would it require any kind of press because it is a wheel bearing built into the hub as a completer kit ?

regards

18 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

sorry but what is ''clam shell part for a press''  or a gen2 wheel bearing kit ?

why would it require any kind of press because it is a wheel bearing built into the hub as a completer kit ?

regards

Why don't you google it lol

16 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Why don't you google it lol

I have tried, unfortunately I found no answer on Google.

What do you mean by it would require clam shells or a gen2 wheel bearing kit ?  I already have the wheel bearing in the hub, why would it require any presses or another wheel bearing kit ????

kind regards

Don't bother trying to change the bearing on it's own with out a press you will have hell of a game getting the old one out.

Just change the front part of hub assembly not the cheapest option but when the wheel is off its much more easy than trying to get that bearing out.

It took my local Gaurage about 15 mins to change on my ST 2007 Mk2 it was one bolt in the center then a good pull and the hub was off off push the new hub back on

replace the bolt job done..I would have done it myself but I am disabled   so I needed some one to help me now a days .Beleve me when I say just change the hub as the bearing  alone will need a press that's if it is like mine as it rusts in badly over time TBH I'm not sure that it actually does come out on its own you will find the wheel bearing Hubs advertised on flea bay or your local motor factor will have them.

24 minutes ago, Gizza11 said:

Don't bother trying to change the bearing on it's own with out a press you will have hell of a game getting the old one out.

Just change the front part of hub assembly not the cheapest option but when the wheel is off its much more easy than trying to get that bearing out.

It took my local Gaurage about 15 mins to change on my ST 2007 Mk2 it was one bolt in the center then a good pull and the hub was off off push the new hub back on

replace the bolt job done..I would have done it myself but I am disabled   so I needed some one to help me now a days .Beleve me when I say just change the hub as the bearing  alone will need a press that's if it is like mine as it rusts in badly over time TBH I'm not sure that it actually does come out on its own you will find the wheel bearing Hubs advertised on flea bay or your local motor factor will have them.

hello

I will be replacing the wheel bearing that is inside the hub. The bearing is integral with the hub itself, so I should not need a press, right ?

the wheel bearing integral with the hub cost me £22 brand new so cheap enough

should it be fairly easy for me to attempt this ? I have never done one before but I really really want to take this on.

£22, time will tell with this one lol.

the bearing and hub are one assembly, how do you plan on fitting it to the knuckle? You need specific tools.

39 minutes ago, stef123 said:

£22, time will tell with this one lol.

the bearing and hub are one assembly, how do you plan on fitting it to the knuckle? You need specific tools.

what kind of tools to fit it to the knuckle ?

why do I need to serach gen2 wheel bearing ?  I already have a replacement wheel bearing .

A Stef123 said with out the correct tool's don't bother.As you said yourself you are unsure .If it is stuck in you will need a  special puller

as Steff123 said to pull it out .I was lucky mine just pulled out buy hand, but the gaurage when he showed me may have already pulled it out  and was already loose by the time I got to see it You could try and heat it up a lot then it may come out o.k  .

No you will not need a  press to get the front hub part out  but you may need a special puller to get it out( I thought you ment the bearing on its own not the hub assy with bearing).

Not sure why you only paid £22 for it though mine was more like £120 (I know that there would have been labour from the Gaurage in with that) lucky price I guess  but with respect the quality may not be so good. Gen 2 is the wheel bearing puller/ press tool not the bearing on the car.TBH as you are unsure the gaurage may be the easyer bet you have got the bearing so no cost there will  just charge you labour

The wheel hubs of the Focus MK2 (and onwards) are non serviceable. The wheel bearings can not be replaced as a seperate part. In case of bearing damage the complete wheel hub needs to be replaced. This type of front wheel hub/bearing is generally known as a GEN 2 wheel bearing.

GEN 2 wheel bearings require special tools to remove and install the bearing into the wheel knuckle. Without the correct tools it is almost impossible to install the new bearing/hub without damaging the bearing.     

1 hour ago, Gizza11 said:

A Stef123 said with out the correct tool's don't bother.As you said yourself you are unsure .If it is stuck in you will need a  special puller

as Steff123 said to pull it out .I was lucky mine just pulled out buy hand, but the gaurage when he showed me may have already pulled it out  and was already loose by the time I got to see it You could try and heat it up a lot then it may come out o.k  .

No you will not need a  press to get the front hub part out  but you may need a special puller to get it out( I thought you ment the bearing on its own not the hub assy with bearing).

Not sure why you only paid £22 for it though mine was more like £120 (I know that there would have been labour from the Gaurage in with that) lucky price I guess  but with respect the quality may not be so good. Gen 2 is the wheel bearing puller/ press tool not the bearing on the car.TBH as you are unsure the gaurage may be the easyer bet you have got the bearing so no cost there will  just charge you labour

thank you so much, I am taking his advice on board but because I have Dyspraxia it can take me longer to process the information so please be patient.

If it does get stuck do I just put the special tool on the wheel bearing and tug it loose ? what could I use to heat it up, what about a lighter or something ? ?

Yes the hub is integral with the bearing as I said.

I'm not sure either, it was £22 on eBay UK , to be honest if I knew at the time that it was too cheap I'd have bought a more expensive one, I hadn't any idea of how much wheel bearings go for, I just saw this one so went ahead and bought it. I paid £137 last year when a garage replaced the front wheel bearing so yup, most of that would be the labour.

I am unsure completely how to do it but that is why I'm taking it on, to learn and I've been lied to too many times so I am going to try fixing things myself now if I think I can

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

The wheel hubs of the Focus MK2 (and onwards) are non serviceable. The wheel bearings can not be replaced as a seperate part. In case of bearing damage the complete wheel hub needs to be replaced. This type of front wheel hub/bearing is generally known as a GEN 2 wheel bearing.

GEN 2 wheel bearings require special tools to remove and install the bearing into the wheel knuckle. Without the correct tools it is almost impossible to install the new bearing/hub without damaging the bearing.     

Hello

as I say , I have the whole wheel bearing that comes integral inside the hub itself.

So is the GEN2 a wheel bearing or just a removal tool ?

is a removal tool necessary if I can pull the hub without the tool ?

cheese

You need this type of wheel hub:

2_3.jpg

GEN 2 is basically the name of this bearing construction. Nowadays most car manufacturers use this construction. However every car manufacturer uses their own size of bearings.

GEN 2 bearings can only be installed by using the correct tools. The bearing must be removed/installed into the wheel knuckle by pressing on the outer race of the bearing. This can only be done with the correct tools. A toolkit for GEN 2 bearings usually contains several tools/adapters to service most common sizes of GEN 2 bearings. Some manufacturers use different sizes of GEN 2 bearings which require additional/different tools/adapters.

A suitable GEN 2 toolkit is not cheap. The price for a decent quality tool kit will be between €250,- and €350,-.

To add to the above, I have a Sykes pickavant gen2 kit for ford 78mm bearings, cost me around £100 which is cheap in comparison to what it should be. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

You need this type of wheel hub:

2_3.jpg

GEN 2 is basically the name of this bearing construction. Nowadays most car manufacturers use this construction. However every car manufacturer uses their own size of bearings.

GEN 2 bearings can only be installed by using the correct tools. The bearing must be removed/installed into the wheel knuckle by pressing on the outer race of the bearing. This can only be done with the correct tools. A toolkit for GEN 2 bearings usually contains several tools/adapters to service most common sizes of GEN 2 bearings. Some manufacturers use different sizes of GEN 2 bearings which require additional/different tools/adapters.

A suitable GEN 2 toolkit is not cheap. The price for a decent quality tool kit will be between €250,- and €350,-.

yup, that looks the exact same as the wheel bearing + hub that I have.

I should be able to get something to pull it with, my friend has a garage full of tools.

what do people mean when they say heat may be needed to get it out ?  would a lighter be good for that ?

thanks

2 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

yup, that looks the exact same as the wheel bearing + hub that I have.

I should be able to get something to pull it with, my friend has a garage full of tools.

what do people mean when they say heat may be needed to get it out ?  would a lighter be good for that ?

thanks

You're at the windup

• Like 2

there cheap, i just bought 1 can from maplins for £6 on friday, but it should last me as im only soldering and not warming bearings.

• Like 1

Well I've learnt something new there, not even heard of that type of bearing!  Always wondered how that little tiny bolt held the entire wheel/hub assy on though!  I'm used to seeing ~35mm hub nuts there. :unsure: :laugh: 

15 hours ago, stef123 said:

You're at the windup

sorry ,  who's winding me up ??

58 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

sorry ,  who's winding me up ??

yourself

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club