Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any problems with DIY adjustments to wheel alignment?

Loofer

Got new tyres on my MK1 and had the alignment done but the steering wheel was off centre to the right, took it back to get corrected, now it's off centre to the left. Can i just put a half turn of adjustment on both sides to correct this myself or are the adjustments not linear like that from side to side? really can't be arsed taking this back and forth as the garage isn't that close.

• Like 1

Your steering wheel should have been locked in to place when the alignment was done

I would have taken it back it will drive you mad knowing its not right :sad:

In every car we've had in the past 2 years the steering wheel has been off-centre, and none of the local garages can seem to get it right!!  I'm not sure what is so difficult about clamping the wheel in the dead-ahead position before doing the alignment.  Makes me think it is just laziness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

Your steering wheel should have been locked in to place when the alignment was done

I would have taken it back it will drive you mad knowing its not right :sad:

Yeah but if it wasn't done right the first 2 times my confidence isn't high for a 3rd, if I can fine tune it at home without losing alignment I would rather do that.

15 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

In every car we've had in the past 2 years the steering wheel has been off-centre, and none of the local garages can seem to get it right!!  I'm not sure what is so difficult about clamping the wheel in the dead-ahead position before doing the alignment.  Makes me think it is just laziness.

I think you're right, they just seem to eyeball it.

1 minute ago, Loofer said:

I think you're right, they just seem to eyeball it.

Agreed.  I even deliberately mentioned it when my 405's alignment was done, and they STILL set it slightly off to the left.

6 minutes ago, YOG said:

Did you have 4-wheel alignment done, or just the front?

I think it was just the front, it was a while ago now, would that make a difference?

If you don't have 4-wheel alignment, you run the risk of the car "crabbing" down the road. If that happens, you need to turn the steering wheel to compensate.

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/what-is-the-difference-between-tracking-and-four-wheel-alignment/

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/start2/?gclid=CNz1k8W9_tECFVS4GwodKUkA4Q

I didn't realise MK1's had adjustment for 4 wheel alignment but I'll look into it.

It's not a question of whether the rear is adjustable or not, the front wheels should be aligned with the rears, to ensure all four point in the same direction. Even "non-adjustable" can be "shimmed", if required.

3 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Only ever had alignment done twice on any of my cars (Independant and quick fit years ago) and found both times that the idiots only adjusted one side so the wheel was off centre and exposed threads at the rods were uneven! Ended up going to Ford where I was asked, since I had just bought new tyres why didn't I get that garage to do the tracking. My reply was "I did, and that's why I'm now here!"

in the old days it was easy to get it right if it was a little out. the steering wheel went on to the shaft with small splines. you prised the centre nut cover off the steering wheel (most cars had the horn on the end of indicator stalk) undid the nut, pulled the steering wheel off, put it back on in a slightly different position and did nut up.

and then some did away with the small splines and had more like an octagon so small alteration was not possible and then airbags came along etc.

But anyway, you need to have good spanners. you can only get an open ended spanner on the track rod end locknut so it's got to be a decent correct spanner so it doesn't slip and chew the nut. also you need to hold the track rod end with another tool so that the strain of trying to undo and do up the lock nut does not overstrain the ball joint within the track rod end. 

if it was mine i would have a go, yes, they should not be let off from doing a bad job but at the end of the day it might be less hassle to sort it yourself. 

The actual adjustment is physically simple enough but I wasn't sure if 1/2 a turn of toe in on one wheel would be equal to half a turn out on the other  as things like ackerman angle create non linear wheel responses to steering rack movement. If I could be sure of mirroring the wheel adjustment on both sides I'd be happy but it seems unclear to me.

I think half a turn on each will be fine but it can be quite difficult to keep is at exactly half a turn when doing up the lock nuts

if they were that bad at getting it right, could you trust them with the lock nuts

For precise alignment sit your car on axle stands, then get 2 objects the same that will stand freely at the back then use a thick string to tie around the car ( wheel centred hight ) then unse a tape measure/ruler to measure the distance from the rear rim to the string, then equal that on the front copy on other side. Then you want the front's toed in buy about 2mm equal on both sides so it runs straight down the road when you accelerate and not to 1 side.

People tend to think that you get a better job replacing tyres at a garage. But I used tyresonthedrive to replace 4 tyres on the pavement, never had a problem with the steering. They also did free balancing, don't really know what that mean, but I thought wheel alignment was something more to do with newer cars, when more adjustments are allowed for wheels.

1 hour ago, v530anh said:

People tend to think that you get a better job replacing tyres at a garage. But I used tyresonthedrive to replace 4 tyres on the pavement, never had a problem with the steering. They also did free balancing, don't really know what that mean, but I thought wheel alignment was something more to do with newer cars, when more adjustments are allowed for wheels.

you won't get steering problems by someone replacing the tyres because they only touch the wheel nuts whether it's tyresonthedrive or any garage . This is nothing to do with replacing tyres.

But some adverse tyre wear situations and handling problems are caused by front wheel alignment being out. So when replacing the tyres could be the point at which you discover the wheel alignment is out. This might be caused by wear or damage by hitting kerb etc.

This is adjusted where the track rod ends screw onto the track rods.

You don't need to worry about a tyre fitter cocking up your steering unless you are also getting them to adjust the wheel alignment which is a separate operation which they will charge you for. Some will check it free of charge, but they will charge to actually adjust it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, isetta said:

you won't get steering problems by someone replacing the tyres because they only touch the wheel nuts whether it's tyresonthedrive or any garage . This is nothing to do with replacing tyres.

But some adverse tyre wear situations and handling problems are caused by front wheel alignment being out. So when replacing the tyres could be the point at which you discover the wheel alignment is out. This might be caused by wear or damage by hitting kerb etc.

This is adjusted where the track rod ends screw onto the track rods.

You don't need to worry about a tyre fitter cocking up your steering unless you are also getting them to adjust the wheel alignment which is a separate operation which they will charge you for. Some will check it free of charge, but they will charge to actually adjust it.

The main reason for alignment going out will be things like kerbing, and hitting potholes...   I had tracking done by KwikFit on previous car and they were very diligent, locking the wheel straight, and checking fore and aft alignment as well as toe in/out...

Thanks for the feedback guys, might just try a small adjustment myself and keep an eye on the handling/tyre wear for problems.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club