Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slapped with a speeding ticket yesterday

Notice of intended prosecution, its the police document which arrives within 14 detailing the punishment they intend to offer for the offence. For example, 3 points and 100 fine, and requesting confirmation of the drivers details.

I'm on day 1 of waiting just in case as I can't say for definite as I drove past a police car probably over the limit, but they were sat still and didn't come after me, but they might just do the ticket lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Ah they gave you a roadside ticket? My bad.
Tbh that's a bit rotten of them, I would have given 'suitable words of advice' or most likely just a flash of my lights as a quick gypsy's warning.
Ticketing for 34 in a 30 is a bit harsh to be fair.
Are there any points awarded on the ticket or just a fine?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, jeebowhite said:

Notice of intended prosecution, its the police document which arrives within 14 detailing the punishment they intend to offer for the offence. For example, 3 points and 100 fine, and requesting confirmation of the drivers details.

I'm on say 1 of waiting just in case as I can't say for definite as I drove past a police car probably over the limit, but they were sat still and didn't come after me, but they might just do the ticket lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

But if they pulled me over and already gave me a ticket and I go and pay it say today why would they still need to send a NIP? is that not just for speed camera offences like mobile units and gatso cameras? 

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

Ah they gave you a roadside ticket? My bad.
Tbh that's a bit rotten of them, I would have given 'suitable words of advice' or most likely just a flash of my lights as a quick gypsy's warning.
Ticketing for 34 in a 30 is a bit harsh to be fair.
Are there any points awarded on the ticket or just a fine?

Yeah pulled me over!! At first I said "so i take it its 3 points and a fine then" and he said well im not sure yet.....then 2 mins later he was like okay im going to give you a fine. 

Exactly my point...wasnt tearing down the road, still broke the law but id say majority of drivers probably drive at an average of 34 in a 30 anyway. 

7 hours ago, fraserrg said:

Admittedly I broke the law, but im a new driver, they could have given me a slap on the wrists, you know? its not like i was flying down at 50 the whole way.  they're the ones that decide in the end.

Yeah well unfortunately every single run-in with the police has been negative, one time a guy on a stolen bike was tearing around and i stopped at the side of a street to let me pal out and i had the windows down and the guy on the stolen bike sat still 3/4metres behind me trying to taunt the police at the police station, I drove off after dropping my mate and the  police came after me!!! Out the car handcuffs on the lot, hadnt done a thing wrong!

Where abouts in the country are you? Surely 34mph you should have been offered a Speed Awareness Course? Sorry if that's been asked already as I haven't been through all the posts! In my county they allow a tolerance of 10% +2mph so in effect you wouldn't be prosecuted until you hit 36mph and even then between 36mph and 42mph you would be offered a speed awareness course....please don't ask me how I know......I just know!!! 

Just now, Gemm83 said:

Where abouts in the country are you? Surely 34mph you should have been offered a Speed Awareness Course? Sorry if that's been asked already as I haven't been through all the posts! In my county they allow a tolerance of 10% +2mph so in effect you wouldn't be prosecuted until you hit 36mph and even then between 36mph and 42mph you would be offered a speed awareness course....please don't ask me how I know......I just know!!! 

Don't think you get that option with roadside ticket from an officer.

Only for speed traps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Don't think you get that option with roadside ticket from an officer.

Only for speed traps.

In my county they can offer a speed awareness course. You get given a TOR (traffic offence report) which is then handed in by the officer to back office who then send out a combined speed awareness course/conditional offer. You then choose which one you want to do. Seems pretty rough to give a fine and points for 34mph. Procedures can/do differ over different forces though. 

Been a while since I last issued a speed related ticket so re-read the guidelines.
An officer at his discretion can award a non-endorsable fixed penalty if in their consideration that the speed was inappropriate for the road / traffic conditions.
Tbh to be pinged at 34mph your speedo was probably reading nearer 38mph so thetefore not appropriate.
A non-endorsable FPN is actually considered a mild punishment.
At their discretion they could have issued an endorsable FPN which carries 3 points at the roadside (which counts as a verbal NIP so no further paperwork needs issuing other than the initial endorsable FPN).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

Been a while since I last issued a speed related ticket so re-read the guidelines.
An officer at his discretion can award a non-endorsable fixed penalty if in their consideration that the speed was inappropriate for the road / traffic conditions.
Tbh to be pinged at 34mph your speedo was probably reading nearer 38mph so thetefore not appropriate.
A non-endorsable FPN is actually considered a mild punishment.
At their discretion they could have issued an endorsable FPN which carries 3 points at the roadside (which counts as a verbal NIP so no further paperwork needs issuing other than the initial endorsable FPN).

So it's a fine with no points? Does that mean it doesn't get declared to insurance?

Indeed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alexp999 said:

So it's a fine with no points? Does that mean it doesn't get declared to insurance?

well unfortunately i got the 3 points as well. Just paid £1030 for my 2nd year insurance. Will be interesting to see next years!

I've had good experiences and bad experiences with the police and in hindsight the bad experiences where often a reflection of my mood at the time. If I was arguing black was white or just being a bit of a di ck then the officers just matched my attitude, if I kept quiet and nodded in the right places regardless of what I thought the whole thing was a lot easier.
To be fair to the police they often pull over lads in modded cars to check everything is done within the law and it also shows a presence. A police stop and a friendly chat about your car can go a long way to build good PR.

Obviously in your case it wasn't the best experience and perhaps a little harsh to give a ticket for doing 34. Saying that though 30 is the limit and they are entitled to stop you at 31, but where is the line? If the limit is 30 then it should be anything over 30. Previous leniency encourages people to go over the limit. I do not claim that I do not speed, I do speed. I probably speed on every journey I make to one degree or another, not excessively. I can't say I do it 'when it is safe' because when is it ever 'safe' to drive fast? I was once caught doing over 110mph on the M6 at 3am so I am in no position to comment on speeding.

A recent incident very locally has really opened my eyes to the significance of driving a few miles an hour over a speed limit, a very young boy was struck by a van in a small close and was fatally injured, I never want to be behind the wheel in that situation knowing I had been speeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I've had good experiences and bad experiences with the police and in hindsight the bad experiences where often a reflection of my mood at the time. If I was arguing black was white or just being a bit of a di ck then the officers just matched my attitude, if I kept quiet and nodded in the right places regardless of what I thought the whole thing was a lot easier.
To be fair to the police they often pull over lads in modded cars to check everything is done within the law and it also shows a presence. A police stop and a friendly chat about your car can go a long way to build good PR.

Obviously in your case it wasn't the best experience and perhaps a little harsh to give a ticket for doing 34. Saying that though 30 is the limit and they are entitled to stop you at 31, but where is the line? If the limit is 30 then it should be anything over 30. Previous leniency encourages people to go over the limit. I do not claim that I do not speed, I do speed. I probably speed on every journey I make to one degree or another, not excessively. I can't say I do it 'when it is safe' because when is it ever 'safe' to drive fast? I was once caught doing over 110mph on the M6 at 3am so I am in no position to comment on speeding.

A recent incident very locally has really opened my eyes to the significance of driving a few miles an hour over a speed limit, a very young boy was struck by a van in a small close and was fatally injured, I never want to be behind the wheel in that situation knowing I had been speeding.

Very true, I couldn't agree more.  The worst thing is that the van driver probably wasn't doing over 30MPH (unless of course he admitted speeding and I missed that information in the news reports), but in that particular area anything over 20 is unsafe in my opinion with the amount of parked cars and children who run out between them without any warning.

I've had a few close calls even at 15-20MPH but fortunately at that speed you can stop almost immediately, although even then there is still the chance of injury if you don't react straight away.

To that extent I really don't think doing 70 in a 60 zone is a big deal and would not feel unsafe doing 100MPH in a motorway setting (not that I ever have), but even a few MPH over in a congested built-up area would put me very much on edge and as you say if anything happened, I would not be able to get over that.

• Like 2

Very true, I couldn't agree more.  The worst thing is that the van driver probably wasn't doing over 30MPH (unless of course he admitted speeding and I missed that information in the news reports), but in that particular area anything over 20 is unsafe in my opinion with the amount of parked cars and children who run out between them without any warning.
I've had a few close calls even at 15-20MPH but fortunately at that speed you can stop almost immediately, although even then there is still the chance of injury if you don't react straight away.
To that extent I really don't think doing 70 in a 60 zone is a big deal and would not feel unsafe doing 100MPH in a motorway setting (not that I ever have), but even a few MPH over in a congested built-up area would put me very much on edge and as you say if anything happened, I would not be able to get over that.

Areas like that one with a high number of children and lots of on street parking should be reduced down to 20mph, sometimes I wonder how people can get up to 30 on those roads.

Modern cars are better equipped now to 'cruise' at 80-90 on the motorway and we all feel safe in our little bubble but that doesn't mean we are. I know I feel safe but am I? Cars may be capable of travelling faster, stopping quicker and are better in an accident but the driver hasn't changed, are my reactions quick enough? Are the reactions of your granddad driving his lovely big jaguar motability car good enough to drive at those speeds?

I think some of the speed limits, particularly motorways are always being reviewed with a view to increasing them. It always comes down to the fact that while modern cars are safer now than ever the fact remains 'some' drivers are not up to it. There are also older cars still on the road that should not be or ones that don't have the modern safety equipment, not yours of course @jmurray01

• Like 1

Call it irony, call it coincidence but tonight on the way home from a midnight finish at work the sky lit up with flashing blue lights, they were flashing for me to pull over. Now I knew I wasn't speeding but I checked anyway and then flicked my hazard lights on and off so they knew I planned to stop but not right away, I didn't it was safe and new there was a layby after the culloden roundabout (reference was for you @jmurray01 ) the officer got out and asked my name and then said I was driving quick, not speeding.i like to get up to the speed limit briskly on open roads so knew what he was talking about so I agreed. He asked where I had been and where I was going and why, told him i am a Nurse Practitioner in the hospital. He just said to take it easy and drive safely, no petty lecture or trying to make more out of it just a quick check and friendly word. Nice guy. Just goes to confirm what I said earlier, they aren't all bad, this guy was just doing his job and perhaps thinking he was reigning me in before I did break a speed limit. I had the cc limiter set though [emoji6] got to be one step ahead of myself lol

I think most of the time its all about your opening attitude to the police. Sometimes I guess you will get a stubborn one. 

However to the OP, you know you did wrong and if you only recently passed your test then technically you should know better? I can still hear my instructors voice in my head ☺️ But your car probably made them want to stop you even more. 

I only passed last year at the age of 31, but I knew for that first year especially to keep to those limits. 

I know most people hate speed limits but they are there for a reason and nobody can grumble should they get caught. 

• Like 1

I've been pulled before for speeding past an undercover police car. We were both at the lights and he was next to me but I didn't take any notice of it cos it undercover which I didn't realise at the time, lights go green and I'm in a bit of a hurry and get to 80 in a 70, not brutal acceleration but just built my way up quickly. Blue and twos go on and when I stopped and had a talk he wasn't the nicest of all guys but was straight to the point, said he would of kept an eye on me as soon as he noticed I was next to the lights with him cos of my car and my age. He also said it's only a 1 litre it wouldn't of got much fast (thanks for that mate :laugh:) but as said above, most of the time they'll treat you how you treat them.

It's called the attitude test.
Treat us with courtesy and we reciprocate.
Treat us like crap and give us attitude and we're far less likely to be flexible.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

It's called the attitude test.
Treat us with courtesy and we reciprocate.
Treat us like crap and give us attitude and we're far less likely to be flexible.

Can't say fairer than that!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Call it irony, call it coincidence but tonight on the way home from a midnight finish at work the sky lit up with flashing blue lights, they were flashing for me to pull over. Now I knew I wasn't speeding but I checked anyway and then flicked my hazard lights on and off so they knew I planned to stop but not right away, I didn't it was safe and new there was a layby after the culloden roundabout (reference was for you @jmurray01 ) the officer got out and asked my name and then said I was driving quick, not speeding.i like to get up to the speed limit briskly on open roads so knew what he was talking about so I agreed. He asked where I had been and where I was going and why, told him i am a Nurse Practitioner in the hospital. He just said to take it easy and drive safely, no petty lecture or trying to make more out of it just a quick check and friendly word. Nice guy. Just goes to confirm what I said earlier, they aren't all bad, this guy was just doing his job and perhaps thinking he was reigning me in before I did break a speed limit. I had the cc limiter set though emoji6.png got to be one step ahead of myself lol

I'm exactly the same, especially on that stretch of road.  If there are no other cars in front I get up to 60 as quick as possible and then set the cruise control.  If a police car was behind me though they would probably think that my rate of acceleration was extreme and a precursor to exceeding the speed limit. 

More so the 623 in that reference, I doubt any police car would consider the 405s acceleration to be brisk...  0-60 in just under 15 years, I mean seconds... :laugh:

• Like 2

On 10/04/2017 at 4:27 PM, fraserrg said:

Whats a NIP? I just have to go to the court to pay the fine, thats what it says on the ticket and thats what the officers said

notice of intended prosecution

did you know that you were speeding ?

Kinda related to this subject. Today I was driving along the A9 approaching the Kessock bridge. The speed limit is NSL and it's a dual carriageway so 70mph for cars and 60 for vans, it then drops down to 50mph and it is still duelled. I was travelling at spot on 70, my speedo was reading about 72-3 and the GPS was 70, I was aware of a van catching me up while I was doing NSL and I remember thinking it must have been going quick. The speed dropped so I backed off to 50 and set the cc, looked in my mirror and it was a marked up VW Transporter Police van. He dropped his speed but was still catching me and after a minute he was passing me, not charging on but passing me none the less. I looked at him, he looked at me and I shook my head at him and mouthed '50' at him, he turned his head and carried on his merry way. Now he wasn't on a blue light run as his lights weren't on, he wasn't going to a job in a hurry using a silent approach and from the way the officers were sitting happy in the back they didn't have a detainee kicking off. We got to the lights, him a little before I did and he waited patiently at the front of the queue.

Why is it one rule for 'some' of them and one rule for everyone else? I know not all officers speed, and what they choose to do in their own car or even an unmarked one is up to them but to do it so blatantly in a van with the battenberg livery on it is just plain wrong. I had to write it on here or I would have been putting it on one of those dashcam sites and reporting him. [emoji35]

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

Kinda related to this subject. Today I was driving along the A9 approaching the Kessock bridge. The speed limit is NSL and it's a dual carriageway so 70mph for cars and 60 for vans, it then drops down to 50mph and it is still duelled. I was travelling at spot on 70, my speedo was reading about 72-3 and the GPS was 70, I was aware of a van catching me up while I was doing NSL and I remember thinking it must have been going quick. The speed dropped so I backed off to 50 and set the cc, looked in my mirror and it was a marked up VW Transporter Police van. He dropped his speed but was still catching me and after a minute he was passing me, not charging on but passing me none the less. I looked at him, he looked at me and I shook my head at him and mouthed '50' at him, he turned his head and carried on his merry way. Now he wasn't on a blue light run as his lights weren't on, he wasn't going to a job in a hurry using a silent approach and from the way the officers were sitting happy in the back they didn't have a detainee kicking off. We got to the lights, him a little before I did and he waited patiently at the front of the queue.

Why is it one rule for 'some' of them and one rule for everyone else? I know not all officers speed, and what they choose to do in their own car or even an unmarked one is up to them but to do it so blatantly in a van with the battenberg livery on it is just plain wrong. I had to write it on here or I would have been putting it on one of those dashcam sites and reporting him. emoji35.png

I have also had a police car do that on the same part of road.  I did think about flashing my highs but decided against it!!  It is not uncommon for cars to continue at 70 after the 50 signs (I always slow down instinctively as I know that road like the back of my hand), but for a police car it is a bit dodgy...

I slow down too, there are very often cameras there. It's the same on the bit at the other side of the roundabout, it's 50 for a bit before you can go up to 70 again.

Totally agree, when in a marked/unmarked vehicle when not on a call police Drivers are not allowed to break the limits.

I have spotted the odd officer here putting on their lights when approaching a red traffic light and turning their lights off after passing through, suffice to say they got 'suitable advice' from me (I am a Sergeant so they have to listen).

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club