Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Bulb Recommendation

Vendee

Wicked.

I'll order these Thursday...PAYDAY!

off subject, my previous fiesta had red "ambient" lighting along the glove compartments door holders etc. etc... looked really nice and I somewhat miss...anything I can buy to recreate this? I assume its just led strip lighting but again clueless to how I would implement this.

• Like 1

If yours is a MK3, then check that there are bulb holders above your feet in the floor wells (look for a gap in the black fibre trim panel). You may find that the wiring is already there and just needs the bulbs as the ambient is standard on most of the models

If not then fairly easy to run wires from dome light down sides to add floor lights. Doors, cups etc are more difficult as the wire runs will be more complicated, but again you may already have the wires sans bulbs

I love how you know all this stuff lol!

Yeah its the MK3 ill check all this later. again silly question, any special type of bulb needed?

H1, H7 for the dip and main beam

H11 for the fogs

and little 501's for the park lights but would recommend these instead http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290684873071?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well, being playing and breaking cars for a long time now (learnt to drive in a Ford Anglia!), I'm an old fogey that's been driving cars for much longer than you've been alive even 9-), used to drive a highly modded Mondeo and run one of the first car web sites many years ago for the Mondeo

S

Fit ford recommend and call it aday.

They spend millions on designing cars for this purpose. Something like a 6k pure white Philips. Anything around 2-4k is yellowing and 7-12k orange to purple tints.

Ford fit mid range Phillips 4200k clears as standard in the headlamps and Osrams in the fogs. They go for cheap bulk buy with quality that last and gives reliability. You can't get a white 5500-6000k light in an incandescent without using filters and these lower the light output

You can go brighter but similar quality Phillips (vision plus) but at a higher cost. Brighter always means a lower lifetime but quality is good so reliability good

Don't fit cheap bulbs ever, like cheap tyres and brake components it's just not worth it

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

I work for ford packing the items for 6 cars per lot.

When we pack our bulbs I do tend to agree there not top of the range. We get the bulbs in packs of 100s.

If u want brightness u have to be prepapre to accept that maybe they will not last as long... Saying that... A longlife bulb may blow faster... Luck of the draw Tbh lol

Again off subject -

I have been reading into a post on here "Hidden USB Port" in the glove compartment. Do we know if the Focus Zetec S has this? as they are talking about the Focus ST.....

Not certain. I think its the Sony units that add it. I've yet to look in mine, but will be making good use of it if it is there. Need to add some seat heater elements so that means that center trim has to all come off anyway

Okay thanks, I see that there is a usb and mirco usb ports there for charging phone etc... I don't have the sony units unfortunately.... if I wanted to get one installed how would I go about this???

Stephen,

I have put the l.e.ds I ordered for my puddle lights into the sidelights.... is this a bad thing to do?

No reason it should be bad. only reason would be if they decrease the visibility of your car.

All my lighting mods are to make the car more visible to other drivers or to allow me to see better (OK, the silvered indicators are just vanity (although they seem brighter))

As long as the park lights are still very visible through a wide arc from the front you're good to go. (oh and if they don't throw a bulb error)

I tried all different bulbs. All were useless so I ordered a HID 8000k set and its amazing. You have so much more light and they look good

So now your whole car is useless and illegal instead

Having just spent a week blatting around North Wales in the dark, the halogens with decent bulbs were more than a match for my vision and speed. The wife and the continentals were the limiting factor.

More than enough light to drive safely at speed, fully legal and no glare and dazzle. OK, would like them a bit whiter but more than good enough

Is that right, I knew about the wattage but thought lights were OK to be white s long as I don't dazzle or appear blue......perhaps I'm thinking of the MOT though

Nothing in RTA or C&U regs about colour temp. Only that Blue lights can only be fitted to emergency vehicles (and must be visible through 360 degrees, something Mr Plod seems to forget, with their unmarked cars with just front and rear blues, which means any stop they do is illegal)

But the more blue filter they put on to get the white, the less light they put out (in Halogens), certainly the Phillips blue coloured bulbs are E marked so UK legal (they don't look blue when on though)

Only that Blue lights can only be fitted to emergency vehicles (and must be visible through 360 degrees, something Mr Plod seems to forget, with their unmarked cars with just front and rear blues, which means any stop they do is illegal)

Er, not quite Fella.

You may want to check your facts on that.

Anyhow, all unmarked patrol cars have side lights fitted anyway.

I wouldn't trust everything you read on the web.

ok so white non HIDs .... Legal or not? An if there not, is there any real chance of getting pulled over if your not pumping out Blackpool illuminations in to traffic either in colours or intensity ?

If you come across a Traffic Officer that knows his onions or is out to prove himself then you can be run through the wringer.

Tbh, non Traffic guys may not be so up on regs but anything obviously hinky will draw attention.

Driving around with a big 'pull me' sign over your roof just equals your time spent at the side of the road being lectured.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed I've had a light pop tonight :-(

Going to replace both dipped beam bulbs tomorrow!

But...did we ever get a result - Osram or Phillips? And are they worth the premium over regular bulbs?

(Pair of regular Osram bulbs in ECP ~£8 & Nightbreakers ~£18)

I think the Nitebreakers are a tadge brighter but the Phillips Vision Plus are 99% there, cheaper and better quality so likely to last longer

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club