Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear heated window self switching on

dzincha

If the heated screens bother you so much to the point you worry about the effect they have on your fuel bill then you can't afford to drive that car, same goes for if you're worried about the lifespan of the battery/ generator/ alternator or whatever, you can't afford to drive that chosen car, when buying a car you have to be prepared to pay for the upkeep, such as tyres, MOT's, services (even you only do oil changes), air con recharges and DPF and many more I may have not listed, when I bought my car I knew the DPF would one day be an issue, so I set aside £400 (Not all in one go) so I could buy a new DPF the day it goes NOPE, I've even put a further £120 to the side for a DPF clean just in case that'll fix it.

It's not hard to put bits of money to the side for your vehicle every month or two and if it is you might not be able to afford to drive if you can't afford to maintain it, sorry but its a harsh truth. 

For sure there are a lot of expenses. This is my company car, and i care about how much it takes per 100km. 

People to whom i told this auto feature also said  strange logic. One guy said it never using backwindow heater in his roomster, because battery is not so fresh. Before i used it very rare, just wipig and its fully enough. Maybe it depends on your place where you live (city/countryside). For me 2nd.

This auto heating will make a bigger bill in repairs for those in cold climate, but who cares? I don't, lease companies and private users maybe will. But its good for bussines - owners will buy more spares.

16 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

It's typically the same type of people that de-ice a 1ft by 1ft square in the windscreen and set off driving with all the other windows still frozen up and 4" of snow on the roof! :wallbash:

Indeed!!

36 minutes ago, dzincha said:

For sure there are a lot of expenses. This is my company car, and i care about how much it takes per 100km. 

People to whom i told this auto feature also said  strange logic. One guy said it never using backwindow heater in his roomster, because battery is not so fresh. Before i used it very rare, just wipig and its fully enough. Maybe it depends on your place where you live (city/countryside). For me 2nd.

This auto heating will make a bigger bill in repairs for those in cold climate, but who cares? I don't, lease companies and private users maybe will. But its good for bussines - owners will buy more spares.

Then that guy is an idiot.  It has nothing to do with your battery WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.

But, our words are obviously falling on deaf ears, so I for one won't be visiting this thread again.

• Like 2

Focus mk4 owners! Are you happy with this auto heating for backwindow and front window if present?

Please vote - yes or no.

1st - No. Can do it with climate control buttons when needed! 

35 minutes ago, dzincha said:

Focus mk4 owners! Are you happy with this auto heating for backwindow and front window if present?

Please vote - yes or no.

1st - No. Can do it with climate control buttons when needed! 

MK4? They probably won't make a thread about it on the internet complaining about something that makes their lives easier and going to the world end to turn off such a great feature, but I'll play your little voting game

2. Yep great idea

• Like 1

Does anybody knows the lowest t of start/stop system when it switches off engine?

Now i remember cold days -10 till -25 when motor was warm, but it didn't turn off. Maybe because of this auto feature...

One morning with -20, it went to regenaration with very strong vibrations to wheel. In idle ~1000 rpm, noise like from propeller airplane before takeoff:

https://de.files.fm/u/ncg7b72z

Hopefully it was only twice that day and didn't repeated anymore.

14 minutes ago, dzincha said:

Does anybody knows the lowest t of start/stop system when it switches off engine?

Now i remember cold days -10 till -25 when motor was warm, but it didn't turn off. Maybe because of this auto feature...

One morning with -20, it went to regenaration with very strong vibrations to wheel. In idle ~1000 rpm, noise like from propeller airplane before takeoff:

https://de.files.fm/u/ncg7b72z

Hopefully it was only twice that day and didn't repeated anymore.

Stop start only works when a number of conditions are met not entirely sure which conditions but the engine being a certain temperature I know definitely gets taken into account, as for the front and rear heated screens, they will stop the vehicle going into stop mode but once the windows are finished doing what they need to do then stop start should start functioning again.

During regeneration you will feel a vibration much heavier than you're used to especially at idle, and it will make a loud noise due to the fan on your intercooler going full whack, mine does the exact same when the car is in regen, nothing to worry about. 

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Mk4 isn't out yet.

In dzincha's world it is...

• Like 1

I can't believe that a thread about a rear window heating switch has got 61 replies!

62 now... :tongue:

• Like 1

On 14.1.2017. at 0:38 PM, alexp999 said:

Don't I know if it relates to engine temp. But it's only on for 5-10 mins the same as when you push the button yourself then whatever causes it to go off.

Tested how long it is on. Today morning got -12 and nice ice on front/back windows. When pressed manually it goes off after ~ 2 mins. Left rear on auto and it was much more than 2 mins. After 2 mins it was just 2mm black stripes in ice, in total i believe it was at least 10 or 15 minutes and in the end rear window was wet and i switched it off by pressing on and off.

For those in milder climate it is on maybe 2 mins and then off. Here it is on for longer time.

This is a top class feature from ford. Very useful and as others have said the smart charge system from ford keeps the battery from draining as its the way the system is designed. I think you can turn off or alter when this comes on via the elmconfig  software but to be honest I think the defaults at 5 degrees or lower are spot on. 

Also I think that the front window circuit also defrosts the mirrors (Think its the front or maybe the rear cant remember off hand) so when you think about it why would you not want a system like this on a frosty morning. Yes it also helps demist the inside of car as well. It is very very speedy to be honest and yes it time might vary depending on how cold it is outside ect but if you windows are keep clean from dirt both inside and out then I find that the defrost from heavy ice is usually less than 2 min and your ready to go. Also as for the inside demist the cleaner the windows are the faster they demist. A little tip I read about on line thought I give it a go was to use a little shaving gel on the inside of the windows to clean them, I was surprised how well this worked and now use it all the time on my inside windows, especially the 4 side windows, This means inside the car never mists up too bad and clears quickly and also it lasts for a good month almost so a winner all round. As for the VW system they can keep it and the rest of their VW's I will have my ford any day of the week :smile:

2 hours ago, dzincha said:

Tested how long it is on. Today morning got -12 and nice ice on front/back windows. When pressed manually it goes off after ~ 2 mins. Left rear on auto and it was much more than 2 mins. After 2 mins it was just 2mm black stripes in ice, in total i believe it was at least 10 or 15 minutes and in the end rear window was wet and i switched it off by pressing on and off.

For those in milder climate it is on maybe 2 mins and then off. Here it is on for longer time.

Where do you live for -12 just out of interest?

The rear screen does take forever regardless of where you are, even at +2c it takes a good 5-10 minutes to clear a bit of interior condensation let alone ice.  Few copper bars with huge spaces are a pretty inefficient system tbh.  I don't know why they don't use the same technology that's in the front screen in the rear one, would cost too much I suppose.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Where do you live for -12 just out of interest?

The rear screen does take forever regardless of where you are, even at +2c it takes a good 5-10 minutes to clear a bit of interior condensation let alone ice.  Few copper bars with huge spaces are a pretty inefficient system tbh.  I don't know why they don't use the same technology that's in the front screen in the rear one, would cost too much I suppose.

I live here - https://www.google.lv/maps/place/Ozolnieki,+Ozolnieku+pagasts,+LV-3018/@53.8925538,9.1115448,5.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x46ef2f22c6423739:0x400cfcd68f30960!8m2!3d56.688534!4d23.777469

Yeah, back window takes good time when it is cold outside. And it is hard to see if it is activated or not when you are on highway. Best way to see is in idle and consumption should be ~0.5l/h when engine warm and then it also should go to stop engine if start/stop is present. If it didn't stopped engine - press on rear heating, then off - and if it shuts down engine then - heating was activated at that moment. When standing idle - 0.9-1L/h with both heaters on, 0.5l/h when switched off.

• Like 1

Someone said that with elm covertor this auto feature could be deactivated. I got elm 327 obd2 bluetooth. With phone i can connect and read faults delete them, but for this i believe pc with dedicated sw should be needed.

There are mornings when it is just cold, but windows are clear. So why it should warm up that thing? Today tested that it turns on also if engine is warm, had been driving 20mins before, started engne -  windows clear and it just turns on both heaters - consumption 1l/h, turn on then off both - 0.5l/h. 

4 hours ago, dzincha said:

Someone said that with elm covertor this auto feature could be deactivated. I got elm 327 obd2 bluetooth. With phone i can connect and read faults delete them, but for this i believe pc with dedicated sw should be needed.

There are mornings when it is just cold, but windows are clear. So why it should warm up that thing? Today tested that it turns on also if engine is warm, had been driving 20mins before, started engne -  windows clear and it just turns on both heaters - consumption 1l/h, turn on then off both - 0.5l/h. 

I would like to tell you which software you'd need to use, and how to do it but I fear that you'll only go and break your car and come back on here squealing like a child because you did so and blame us for your incompetence. Secondly I'm sure your company wouldn't appreciate you peeing around in the ECU and other associated modules.

If you really don't like the feature, hand your car back to the company and get a different one.

• Like 2

Well soon i will change it. My current option is to take mondeo 5.

I hope that it doesn't have this feature.

If it will i will vome back for suggestion how to make it manual. I am pretty close with pc things - flashed few galaxys to custom roms. Nowadays was programming PLC for automation.

19 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

I would like to tell you which software you'd need to use, and how to do it but I fear that you'll only go and break your car and come back on here squealing like a child because you did so and blame us for your incompetence. Secondly I'm sure your company wouldn't appreciate you peeing around in the ECU and other associated modules.

If you really don't like the feature, hand your car back to the company and get a different one.

Hi Dj Andy!

What's the name of cotroller sw? Maybe you would share?

Thank you! 

WOW, you are so angry at a feature that uses a bit of extra fuel so much so that you justify getting a much bigger car where the economy won't be as good as the focus with the feature switched on all the time, I think you should go apologise to a tree for wasting its oxygen.

• Like 1

Ryan Tango.

Mondeo with 1.5tdci consumes almost the same as focus. Maybe 0.2 l/100 difference(from specifications).

This auto feature is useless when it is just wet outside and often it is just cold without any ice - but that thing will heat both windows ayway and when you hop off and then in  5 mins back- buttons on, then off - better just disable auto heating.

Another option is fuse removal for rear window.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club