Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slapped with a speeding ticket yesterday

Just my luck! Coming home on Saturday, driving in the sun, windows down music on, tooting along, bus was messing about in front of me so as it pulled in I indicated out and overtook, got to the bottom of the road and a BMW police car came flying down behind me, blue lights on. 

Caught me going 34MPH in a 30. The officers were very judgmental and discriminatory to me, they came unpto my window and said get out and come in the car, so i went into their car, he was saying "they noticed me a bit to close to the bus when they were 3 cars behind" yeah sure. Then he started saying "i bet its not the first time youv've sped, young guy, done up car, unlucky you were caught this time". So then he says I'm giving you a ticket, you can either take it or go to court, I said give me the ticket, and his reply "good choice don't think you would be able to afford the court fees", Sorry but you know nothing about me or my lifestyle what right has he got judging my life on my age and car. He then got out and tried to say my flyeye tint wasnt legal and my short pressed number plate wasnt legal either, the number plate was legal as it was made by an authorized number plate company and fly eye is also legal. Bored coppers on a Saturday night slapping me with 3 points and a fine for 34mph whilst overtaking. Fair enough I broke the law and I accept it and will pay the fine and take it on the chin, just a bit peeved at how they went about it, been pulled over 5 times in a year now, 4 of them for ridiculous no reason stops and every time the officers have quite frankly been idiots towards me. 

It may take away some asphetics of your car but it might be worth investing in a dash can that records GPS and your speed. I know in this case you were going a little over, but given their attitude they probably would have pulled you anyway. At least that way you have video evidence rather than just your word against theirs. Though there's been a few times with family and friends where other people have spoke in court against the police but you can't win if it's the officers friend that's the judge. 

They also never showed me a video of my car speeding? It was a still imagine of the back of my car at the bottom of the road and they said that the speed was what I was going, but I read that in car cameras records their cars speed? And they were 3 cars behind me...? 

I read somewhere they cannot tell you you were speeding unless they are at the side of the road with one of them speed gun things or a mobile van at the side of the road. How can they possibly prove you were doing 34? As said above get a dash cam, I got one and it's brilliant mate, i'd definitely have a think about getting one if I were you.

2 hours ago, Tom-B64 said:

I read somewhere they cannot tell you you were speeding unless they are at the side of the road with one of them speed gun things or a mobile van at the side of the road. How can they possibly prove you were doing 34? As said above get a dash cam, I got one and it's brilliant mate, i'd definitely have a think about getting one if I were you.

Who knows mate.

Think I will get one to be honest, will be driving like an angel for the next year as i cant get more than 6 points. 

Edited by Guest
cleaned up language

1 hour ago, fraserrg said:

Who knows mate

Think I will get one to be honest, will be driving like an angel for the next year as i cant get more than 6 points. 

Yea I'd definitely recommend one. I got this one https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/transcend-drivepro-520--2-4--lcd--with-adhesive-mount-32gb-ts32gdp520a-C7R6.html?utm_content=QE00&gclid=CjwKEAjw2qzHBRChloWxgoXDpyASJAB01Io0zVknTrSSOrYFRCISoneVjBuJOpIkADYn8Og4miPOMBoCN2rw_wcB

So so simple to set up and you can watch the videos on your phone through the app. Has a front and rear camera with a good screen too. Really good video and sound quality in the day and night, I can't fault it!

Edited by alexp999
  • Like 1

I do think that police sometimes target new "flash" cars, especially when they know it is likely to be a young driver.  I have had my licence for 8 months now and haven't been pulled over once.  But the difference is that I always drive old vehicles that don't attract attention and would not usually be associated with my age-group.

Obviously you should and you do have the right to drive whatever you want, but that's just my theory on it.

It is easy to say in hindsight, but I would have stood my ground with them as there is no way they could positively say you were doing 34 when they were supposedly 3 cars behind you!  That's ridiculous and the reason he didn't want you going to court was because he knew he couldn't prove it.

29 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I do think that police sometimes target new "flash" cars, especially when they know it is likely to be a young driver.  I have had my licence for 8 months now and haven't been pulled over once.  But the difference is that I always drive old vehicles that don't attract attention and would not usually be associated with my age-group.

Obviously you should and you do have the right to drive whatever you want, but that's just my theory on it.

It is easy to say in hindsight, but I would have stood my ground with them as there is no way they could positively say you were doing 34 when they were supposedly 3 cars behind you!  That's ridiculous and the reason he didn't want you going to court was because he knew he couldn't prove it.

Yeah totally, flash cars, young male drivers are a complete target and its very wrong in my opinion. Im a very sensible 19 year old guy with a good job and I dont drive like half the people out there. I have never been in the back of a police car in my life so was a bit shook by it and just took the damn ticket. And yes I agree, I dont understand how they can judge my speed without a speed gun, they flew down the road behind me obviously overtaking the other cars or the other cars must have turned off so surely that is their speed that was recorded, not sure. Admitidley i did pick up speed overtaking the bus and going down hill, but i put my foot on the brake there after, which they disputed and said "we couldnt see your brake lights"  which is utter garbage

Pain in the butt but it is what it is. 

Edited by Guest
bypassing swear filter

Police can capture speed in a number of ways, one of which is using their calibrated speed recorders. If they film you at a certain point and they travel at the same distance behind you at the same speed, the camera records your distance not changing and that can be enough evidence.

Never fair for them to judge though, seems like you got one in a bad mood, perhaps the chap couldn't afford a car like yours on his salary and his jealousy came through.

I've had a few involvements with the police, never had a bad word to day about them. Just disappointed for them they can't do more these days where they need to.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Police can capture speed in a number of ways, one of which is using their calibrated speed recorders. If they film you at a certain point and they travel at the same distance behind you at the same speed, the camera records your distance not changing and that can be enough evidence.

Never fair for them to judge though, seems like you got one in a bad mood, perhaps the chap couldn't afford a car like yours on his salary and his jealousy came through.

I've had a few involvements with the police, never had a bad word to day about them. Just disappointed for them they can't do more these days where they need to.

Admittedly I broke the law, but im a new driver, they could have given me a slap on the wrists, you know? its not like i was flying down at 50 the whole way.  they're the ones that decide in the end.

Yeah well unfortunately every single run-in with the police has been negative, one time a guy on a stolen bike was tearing around and i stopped at the side of a street to let me pal out and i had the windows down and the guy on the stolen bike sat still 3/4metres behind me trying to taunt the police at the police station, I drove off after dropping my mate and the  police came after me!!! Out the car handcuffs on the lot, hadnt done a thing wrong!

I can understand your view is tainted and sadly with experience like those it's easy to see why.

I would write to the police and let it go to court, it may be expensive to a degree but you might find the case disappears...?

• Like 1

How on earth can the coppers say you was doing 34mph ? They could have let you off with just a warning, just another ***** head copper looking for a Knighthood.

Demand to see the video footage ? 

46 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

I can understand your view is tainted and sadly with experience like those it's easy to see why.

I would write to the police and let it go to court, it may be expensive to a degree but you might find the case disappears...?

Once you accept the fine it says theres no turning back basically

As an Officer myself I can't comment on their procedures as they do vary by force however the speed cameras in the cars can pick you out from over half a mile away (can't divulge the actual technical specs).
Traffic cops are known for being 'keen' though and you'll never win an argument with them as they know traffic laws inside out.
The law is changing this month whereby the 10% leeway is being dismissed so be aware.
Also please don't tar all of us with the same brush, I'm not looking for a knighthood, just a honest days wage like everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

As an Officer myself I can't comment on their procedures as they do vary by force however the speed cameras in the cars can pick you out from over half a mile away (can't divulge the actual technical specs).
Traffic cops are known for being 'keen' though and you'll never win an argument with them as they know traffic laws inside out.
The law is changing this month whereby the 10% leeway is being dismissed so be aware.
Also please don't tar all of us with the same brush, I'm not looking for a knighthood, just a honest days wage like everyone else.

Even when there are cars infront of them? 

Its a bit hard not too im afraid! I'm sure you're a nice guy but initial perception is tainted due to your colleagues.  Im no criminal or bad person. So officers shouldn't treat me + others like them. 

(20 years old with a modded fiesta) i know how it feels last night about half 11 dropping the missus off at home i left the fourth exit on a round about as he came off onto the round about at the second i was doing 40 in a 40, he then came into the road i was going down i was already doing 40 at this point, he then rocked down the road as god knows what speed (not exaggerating) right up behind me, then that made me nervous police never make me feel safe just targeted. he followed me down three residential street to my missus cul-de-sac which he went on his merry way, absolutely no need for the speed, i should get a rear cam and report em for doing that maybe he was going 50-60mph as i was a bit down the road.

10 minutes ago, AlexBartlam said:

(20 years old with a modded fiesta) i know how it feels last night about half 11 dropping the missus off at home i left the fourth exit on a round about as he came off onto the round about at the second i was doing 40 in a 40, he then came into the road i was going down i was already doing 40 at this point, he then rocked down the road as god knows what speed (not exaggerating) right up behind me, then that made me nervous police never make me feel safe just targeted. he followed me down three residential street to my missus cul-de-sac which he went on his merry way, absolutely no need for the speed, i should get a rear cam and report em for doing that maybe he was going 50-60mph as i was a bit down the road.

Agreed mate, its bad that the people who are meant to protect and serve our communities make us feel nervous/on edge. Target us young drivers with nice cars all the time. 

4 minutes ago, fraserrg said:

Agreed mate, its bad that the people who are meant to protect and serve our communities make us feel nervous/on edge. Target us young drivers with nice cars all the time. 

agreed not all police are like it as i carp fish police regularly walk round pools checking fishing licences, iv had good conversations with police , but its the yobo's who race their 15 year old bangers about tescos car park which is the problem not someone doing the speed limit and pays the relivent fees to drive.

45 minutes ago, fraserrg said:

It's modded cars that often draw the attention. Your fly eyes and number plate, even if strictly legal will catch their eye.

Bear in mind even the "good cops", have often been in the business a long time and know the sorts of cars to pay closer attention to.

That's not to say you deserved the treatment you got, but if your car didn't have those modifications, it may not have drawn so much attention to your car.

Just now, alexp999 said:

It's modded cars that often draw the attention. Your fly eyes and number plate, even if strictly legal will catch their eye.

Bear in mind even the "good cops", have often been in the business a long time and know the sorts of cars to pay closer attention to.

That's not to say you deserved the treatment you got, but if your car didn't have those modifications, it may not have drawn so much attention to your car.

Agreed, but because we want to modify our cars doesn't necessarily mean we are careless. I do it because I find it interesting, I want to make my car look better and its my first car, pride and joy, not because I want to speed around and be a boy racer, i have a 1L at the end of the day!

IIRC, you actually only need two officers at the very least to get done with excess speed (and in certain cases, only one), if there is no speed measuring device. The 10% +1 safe rule was only ever a guideline (and as Stoney said, they may be getting rid soon).

Have they actually put 34 on your ticket? If you have not done a speed awareness course, you may be offered one before you have to accept 3 points and £100.

For 34 in a 30 I would be very surprised if an awareness course wasn't on offer.
Just wait for the NIP to come in the post.

50 minutes ago, Micro said:

IIRC, you actually only need two officers at the very least to get done with excess speed (and in certain cases, only one), if there is no speed measuring device. The 10% +1 safe rule was only ever a guideline (and as Stoney said, they may be getting rid soon).

Have they actually put 34 on your ticket? If you have not done a speed awareness course, you may be offered one before you have to accept 3 points and £100.

34 on the ticket, I didnt actually know about that course until  a couple of hours after and it was never offered to me

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

For 34 in a 30 I would be very surprised if an awareness course wasn't on offer.
Just wait for the NIP to come in the post.

Whats a NIP? I just have to go to the court to pay the fine, thats what it says on the ticket and thats what the officers said

Just now, fraserrg said:

Whats a NIP? I just have to go to the court to pay the fine, thats what it says on the ticket and thats what the officers said

Maybe worth posting up a scan of the front/back of the ticket, obviously removing all identifying numbers and your details?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club