Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

@Foxxyblieu9 , @smartguy69 thanks for your answers!

I'll take a deeper look on this and take the time to search and find the good parts. With priority to parts form France, as it will be "preset" with the good language.

• Like 1

I've juste found a combo screen/APIM, the APIM is JM5T-14G370-HNC,don't know if it's Nav or not... it has the GPS fakra connector on it, so... can suppose it is Nav version? (is it possible, on a non nav version, to make it nav? )

It's from a french Focus, I have the VIN but don't how to find it's detailed equipment (don't have any picture of the car)🤔

17 hours ago, Foxxyblieu9 said:

Interesting, maybe I was a tad wrong but with my own (Albeit sync 2 upgrade) I managed to keep my original ACM with the fact that you won’t get traffic updates, but I find personally that this is a non issue, I’ve only used the nav once and it worked fine.

to me it wasn’t worth the upgrade because I have the Sony 9 speaker acm. I could go to a FL acm for relatively cheap but I’d be getting reduced output.

i did take a look at the KUGA acm but the price of them instantly put me off

I think there are not many cars that are alike lol. We have a few members who have done the upgrade on the Kuga and there are noticeable differences. One of our members didn't have to do any programming. His just worked. I was the only one who got sync 1 ACM to work with sync 2 but that was down to someone on Forscan finding out how to do it with one setting change on the ACM. The other guys used a sync 2 ACM as their bluetooth didn't work. Most of us have upgraded to sync 3 now. 

I ended up running a sync 3 ACM with my sync 1 system but only because I need the rubber bung to support the back and none of the dealers would sell me one. I personally thought the sync 1 ACM was better but one of our members who upgraded to sync 3 found by changing a few settings it can make the sound more improved. It was said the upgrade for the sync 1 ACM was by Sony. It isn't. They have their name on the panel only. It's made by someone else.

I would advise anyone trying the upgrade not to bother with "plug and play" leads from China. There is mention of it in this thread and we have had others who have ended up buying the leads and they either don't work or need modifying. I would say the ones from 4Dtech will be fine if they ship to the UK. It's not too difficult to make up your own lead using a camera adapter lead and extending it. If the Chinese leads were cheap enough they could be an option just to have the correct plugs but you would need to know how to check it's wired properly. I have  links for the 12 pin connector for the small screen display and 8 pin connector for the radio panel if anyone is interested.

The sync 3 units ending in GNC are definitely navigation. I am not 100% about the HNC. The difference in the lettering is down to a revised product. What the revision is could be anything. I did find a sync 3 unit for a Ford Ranger that ends in HNC that was navigation. The link below maybe useful as well.

When buying any sync 3 unit make sure it has both the touch screen and APIM. A lot of sellers are splitting them up. Some have disguised their pictures so it looks like it's complete but isn't. It needs have both screen and APIM and the yellow to blue fakra connector wired to both parts.

This one is NOT complete as it's missing the touch screen. BAD SELLER lol. If you look the yellow fakra isn't plugged into anything.

image.thumb.png.864aba933415a701ed9cfd2f84505a6f.png

This is how it should look from the back.

image.thumb.png.118a4a1c2b0602bb5835c363a9fac6be.png

The navigation unit will be 64gb. The non-nav is 32gb. Ny research shows the one ending in HNC has navigation but it's always best to do your own research as well.

Focus 2016 Mk 3.5 Titanium APIM swap - FORScan forum

@smartguy69,

apparently the combo is APIM and screen (see the pic attached).

I've asked confirmation to the seller.

But... why some APIMS have the white connector near to the big 54 pins connector, and some have an empty space ?

image001.png

@Gregfocus - Not sure about the white connector. It was the same with sync 2. The black connector next to it goes to the usb hub. It's a mini/micro usb connector. There is only one usb lead which comes from the hub. Perhaps some fords have an additional usb hub but you won't need it for your car. Mine only has the black connector.

On 1/24/2024 at 12:22 PM, smartguy69 said:

@Gregfocus - Not sure about the white connector. It was the same with sync 2. The black connector next to it goes to the usb hub. It's a mini/micro usb connector. There is only one usb lead which comes from the hub. Perhaps some fords have an additional usb hub but you won't need it for your car. Mine only has the black connector.

Thank you @smartguy69.

Sync3 screen and APIM ordered on monday, received today  (a french junkyard on ebay).

Will have to find the other parts pf the puzzle (mainly a front fascia in good condition, some I have found had scratches... so... a no go for me)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This upgrade is certainly on my list of I keep mine 🙂

Thank you for all the information

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club