Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter limit reached - on petrol car?

Morty40

19 hours ago, Riding said:

Hi, how did it turn out? Got the same advice from my dealer after they did a static regen. 

Thanks

Found that a complete waste of time, see my previous post. De-accelerate is the answer imo. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CAMERON250310 said:

See my post of 28/01. I’m doing very little mileage at the moment and also very short journeys. The de-acceleration seems to be the answer, straight road of 1/2 mile de-accelerate 3 or 4 times and it seems to cure it for a while, last time was 6 weeks ago. Once we get back to normal it should be gone hopefully. As has been pointed out I’m probably not getting the filter back to zero. Next service is June will ask for a static regen.

By de-acceleration I mean using the brakes, 40mph apply brakes, repeat 3 times. Mind there’s nobody close behind you😀

Thanks for replying 😉 Will give it a try 🙂

Do you notice when a regeneration is taking place ?

In diesels , it can be noticed but what about petrol ?

I had the filter nearly full message a while back so I went for an hour's drive, motorway, a and b roads.  The message hasn't come back.  I didn't notice anything unusual on the drive.    Mine's a 1.5 182 petrol.

Has only one spoken to their dealer about this system update from 2019

I had my car in and have not had any issues since.

hope I don’t have it on my new mild hybrid ( when the Saarlouis factory opens) 

3F6F2720-12C5-4D85-94BA-31A5871B6C9E.jpeg

I imagine it will, the mild hybrids are basically the normal petrol engine plus a battery.

3 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I imagine it will, the mild hybrids are basically the normal petrol engine plus a battery.

I've been thinking about this a bit recently...seeing as my driving definitely doesn't suit a DPF, but may not be so bad for a GPF...

I reckon they'll use the regenerative braking, along with the 'lift-off accelerator' dash light to help complete GPF regens when necessary.  In my Golf it does the opposite for DPF regen, showing the 'downshift' arrow to help the driver complete a regen.

The MHEVs will also be mapped differently anyway, so I doubt they'll have the same TSB as the older models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I've been thinking about this a bit recently...seeing as my driving definitely doesn't suit a DPF, but may not be so bad for a GPF...

So have I. In the absence of finding anything that particularly interests me, I could quite see me going for another Fiesta which would have MHEV. As I understand it the conditions that suit gpf (decelleration) also suit charging the 48v battery. Does this mean I'll have to revert to boy racer practice of accelerating hard towards traffic lights then decelerating sharply when they turn red?😃

• Haha 2

Do you notice any noise or particular thing when the gpf is regenerating ?

My mhev makes a slight different noise when the engine is already warm . Is it regenerating ?

On 2/16/2021 at 10:27 PM, Zemanel said:

Do you notice when a regeneration is taking place ?

In diesels , it can be noticed but what about petrol ?

No did not notice anything.

• 3 weeks later...

A diesel makes a more rough noise and feel when regenerating

What about petrol ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, Zemanel said:

A diesel makes a more rough noise and feel when regenerating

What about petrol ?

Cannot say I’ve heard anything different when de-accelerating to clear filter.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Opened a case file with Ford Customer Relations regarding the GPF issue, sent them all the information I had with photographs of the fault display " Drive now to clean" and a photo of what looks like a recomendation of what to do if complaints are made "7895". They told me this info had been given to the technical department and they would look into. I had explained that the warning occurs when the ambient temp is below 9 degrees C.

I have had a response if the fault cannot be reproduced now then no further action will be taken and the case file will be closed no mention was made of item 7895, well thanks a lot Ford for nothing so I will be selling my Ford Focus and staying well clear of the brand in future.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 4:47 PM, Minstrel said:

Opened a case file with Ford Customer Relations regarding the GPF issue, sent them all the information I had with photographs of the fault display " Drive now to clean" and a photo of what looks like a recomendation of what to do if complaints are made "7895". They told me this info had been given to the technical department and they would look into. I had explained that the warning occurs when the ambient temp is below 9 degrees C.

I have had a response if the fault cannot be reproduced now then no further action will be taken and the case file will be closed no mention was made of item 7895, well thanks a lot Ford for nothing so I will be selling my Ford Focus and staying well clear of the brand in future.

Do all modern petrol motors have the GPF ?

I do like my Focus ST-Line but this warning is very worrying.  It always seems to come up on a Monday and my commute to work is only 11 miles each way (on mainly B roads - No motorways) which means I dont get the chance to go on a motorway until the weekend and even then I dont have a reason to other than waste time and fuel driving up and down one just to do the regen.

I actually sold a diesel because I was worred that I didnt do enough mileage to clean the DPF and I did mention that to the guy sales guy I bought the Ford off yet he didn't mention the GPF at all to me.  If he had then I would never have bought the car.

I've tried driving in Sport mode for a week and it still hasnt cleared the fault.  Guess I am stuck with pointless motorway driving now ?

15 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Do all modern petrol motors have the GPF ?

The short answer is pretty much "yes", since the EU6c emission standards came into force in late 2018:

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/what-is-a-petrol-particulate-filter-and-how-does-it-work/n19953

18 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Thanks for that info.  I had a feeling that would be the case 😞

The official info in the Ford manual says varied styles of driving and doing 20 minutes of motorway driving but it all seems very vague as this thread mentions de-acceleration.  Would I be right in saying that the motorway drive is useful for heating the engine up to full temp and then and then several episodes of de-acceleration ?  Would it be better to use brakes for slowing or just come straight off the gas and let the car gradually/naturally slow down ?

I followed someone to work a couple of days ago.  He kept flooring it every time he pulled off from the lights or an island but I would catch him up again at the next set of lights or island where he would be sat waiting.  I thought 'what a knob 'ed' but now I feel I am about to become that person 😞

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

but it all seems very vague as this thread mentions de-acceleration.

Fortunately it seems, my present car missed out on this, so I've no practical experience yet.

It does seem that, unlike DPFs which benefit from a good "blast", these things need frequent deceleration as mentioned several times in the thread and this article which was quoted earlier:

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/emissions/the-gasoline-particulate-filter-faq 

36 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Fortunately it seems, my present car missed out on this, so I've no practical experience yet.

It does seem that, unlike DPFs which benefit from a good "blast", these things need frequent deceleration as mentioned several times in the thread and this article which was quoted earlier:

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/emissions/the-gasoline-particulate-filter-faq 

I do a lot of deceleration but unfortunately its from 30 to 0 which it would seem is not the type needed to regen 😞

The advice in the Owners Handbook is sound. It doesn't say to take it for a high speed blast down the Motorway.

Some people are afraid to take the revs above a certain amount which is why it mentions something like using a 1500-4000 rpm range in varying conditions. This will create enough heat, and during the foot off periods, enough oxygen by default. Incidentally the figure quoted in the article above is incorrect, these are Diesel temperatures that only occur when the car goes into Active Regeneration mode, not the temperatures that will occur in a Petrol engine when it is Passively Regenerating.

It seems like there have been more reported problems with the 1.0 engine reported on this forum than the 1.5, In fact I have not read about any for the 1.5. That may be because the 1.5 is better or maybe the people who buy a 1.5 drive it differently. I have not had the warning on my 1.5 in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

It seems like there have been more reported problems with the 1.0 engine reported on this forum than the 1.5, In fact I have not read about any for the 1.5. That may be because the 1.5 is better or maybe the people who buy a 1.5 drive it differently. I have not had the warning on my 1.5 in the 2 1/2 years that I have owned it. 

Yes, I've noticed that, although the revised 1.0 and the 1.5 are pretty similar. Is it simply that there are more 1.0s about, so more problems reported? Or something else, such as where the dpf is positioned? 

14 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I've noticed that, although the revised 1.0 and the 1.5 are pretty similar. Is it simply that there are more 1.0s about, so more problems reported? Or something else, such as where the dpf is positioned? 

You are probably correct on all three counts.

I'm not certain about this but I thought the GPF and CAT on the 1.5 were one combined unit and very close to the engine, I might be wrong though. The 1.5 is a newer design, so more likely to have been designed to be futureproof.

Incidentally I was wrong about the temperatures. What I meant was that petrol engines run at higher temperatures so the GPF should be hot enough anyway without intervention from the PCM unless they are driven like you have your Granny in the back.  

57 minutes ago, Tizer said:

What I meant was that petrol engines run at higher temperatures so the GPF should be hot enough anyway without intervention 

Yes, this is certainly the impression that was given when GPFs were introduced, suggesting they would be much less of an issue (if at all) than DPFs. This does not seem to have been the case, and it's not just Ford, other makes seem to be having similar problems if you do a spot of forum lurking!😀

Also I believe the 1.5 uses a combination of port and direct injection. Port injection produces less particulates than than direct injection. I would guess that the 1.5 uses largely port injection at low load/rpm and increases the use of direct as load and rpm increase. Hence the 1.5 probably doesnt produce anything like the same particulate load for the GPF to handle

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

Also I believe the 1.5 uses a combination of port and direct injection.

It does, so that may well be it.

Having seen a couple of items on an MHEV Puma ST under test, I wonder if the 1.5 might make a reappearance in MHEV form in other models - it seems to be well liked by those who have one in their Focuses.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2019 focus ST Line and get this message all the time a blast down the motorway does not help so i just reset it but it is annoying really disappointed with ford as the car is great apart from this annoying message will stick to Toyota from now on.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club