Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Turvey's New House Troubles

Turvey

Spare room on hold while we wait for our joiner to come by and measure up. 

Decided that the garage needed tidying up, but I got led astray and thought I would make a bar for The Piston Broke Garage Bar! 😄

Had a few old doors and a lot of good wood lying about after stripping out a couple of rooms, a couple of hours later and I had this! It's what I would call a 20 foot bar........looks good from 20 feet 😃

Got to wait for the joiner to make a proper bartop out of a length of wood I have but apart from that it's done. IMG_20200211_172711078.thumb.jpg.11f27642378cb40fbe2f2b1641adf3f1.jpgIMG_20200213_164541894.thumb.jpg.34176d6bbf8a63eb511260437594031a.jpg

IMG_20200204_174444995.jpg

• Like 4

While stripping out the spare room we uncovered what I'm convinced is an early Banksie! 😎😃

IMG_20200215_144313493.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Must catch up on this thread, spare room is done but no photos yet 🙄

However, Mrs Turvey got fed up with the state of the sunporch. It's just used as a way out to the back garden ie let the dog out in the morning etc and as a dumping ground for stuff without a home.

So, a couple of hours work, cleaning floor and windows etc and we now have a quiet relaxing drinking room 😊🥂🍺

IMG_20200405_170612238.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Got a bit bored sitting at home all day so I had a wee bit of a renovation of The Piston Broke Garage Bar 😊

A couple of sheets of marine ply removed from the bathroom refurb faced with scraps of skirtings and facings, but reversed to try and look like planks. 

Lager and cider on tap courtesy of ex-work. 

IMG_20200526_171435024_compress34.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 2:50 PM, Turvey said:

While stripping out the spare room we uncovered what I'm convinced is an early Banksie! 😎😃

IMG_20200215_144313493.jpg

IMG-20200516-WA0023.thumb.jpg.e80703eb3560acae640dfd1a6a9d71b3.jpg

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Can you guess what the next project is? 🤔😃

IMG_20200617_135550747.jpg

IMG_20200617_152316244.jpg

IMG_20200617_120752769.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Turvey said:

Can you guess what the next project is? 🤔😃

Fitting carbon monoxide detectors? :wink:

My Nan has that exact electric fire btw, what are the chances! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Fitting carbon monoxide detectors? :wink:

Yep! We've been speaking about that today, we've only got 2 smoke alarms in the house so we'll need to book a visit from the local fire prevention chap as well for advice 👍

• Like 2

Any plans to put a landline telephone in your bar? 

Reason I'm asking is that I may have one of interest a German  explosion proof phone same as this listing in full working order from a chemical plant well I have two but one is fitted on the wall in my attic; wired in and everything like a panic room lol there explosion proof and suitable for outside also used on boats or in mines, 1970's era but ahead of it's time with the push buttons because rotating a dial would create static and possibly a spark the push buttons were a must have, 

Weighs around 18kg 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-FERNSIG-ESSEN-TYP-5111-SHIPS-BOAT-YACHT-MARINE-DMU-CAB-GYRO-TELEPHONE/142373495266?hash=item21261f21e2:g:Xk8AAOSwtGlZDLou 

• Like 1

Cheers @Lenny but I think that's a wee bit out of my price range (ie free!) 😆 

Apart from the electricity to run the lights and cooler I don't think the bar has cost me anything! 🤔 everything's either been found, recycled or donated! I don't think Mrs Turvey would be too pleased if I started spending money on it 😂 

Cool bit of kit though 😎

Just now, Turvey said:

Cheers @Lenny but I think that's a wee bit out of my price range (ie free!) 😆 

Apart from the electricity to run the lights and cooler I don't think the bar has cost me anything! 🤔 everything's either been found, recycled or donated! I don't think Mrs Turvey would be too pleased if I started spending money on it 😂

I can do €50 plus shipping say €80 lowest that's if your interested 

They have sentimental value to me as I got them back in 2010 when the placs I worked in at the time was being taken apart and I was made redundant,

The place I work in now also has the exact same item but there not taking them down or letting anyone take anything without huge paperwork.

Anyway just thought I'd offer mate they are expensive for a landline and heavy.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Lenny, well worth it but a bit out of my league. Thanks for the offer though, really appreciated 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Cheers Lenny, well worth it but a bit out of my league. Thanks for the offer though, really appreciated 👍

No prob, 

There an icon of extremely good and extremely bad news ya see,.

Being in an eX rated environment you cant have any mobile phones or anything electronic; so while working and your wife goes in to labour that phone recieved the call to say your required,

If a chemical process passed testing that phone was the contact to say we have made significant success

Also when things went wrong with a chemical process or something happened to a fellow operator; that phone was also an essential part of recovery to contact emergency services or the chemistry lab for advice,

I'd love to donate as there a real show piece for a bar such as yours but with he above said I'm more than sure you can understand why I can't thanks.

I'm a chemical plant operator myself to this day that item was once a lifeline, but now we all have eX mobile  phones with man down sensors and panic buttons.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I'd love to donate as there a real show piece for a bar such as yours but with the above said I'm more than sure you can understand why I can't thanks.

Totally understandable, you'll just have to build your own bar to display it 😉🍻

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Totally understandable, you'll just have to build your own bar to display it 😉🍻

I definitely will if the weather doesn't change as I'm in the driveway again this weekend 🤣 here right now drinking with the angry bird on the rear view mirror it works like a padre pio badge to deter pigs rather than evil spirits as I like all kinds of spirits my bad self 🤣 and the Recaro seat hugging me like a young one at a disco. 

Raining 

20200620_204652.thumb.jpg.9846091c22b3baf6d31981ddd4f88a7a.jpg

Watching television 

20200526_063142.thumb.jpg.17b986158357a4d2e0433f124d3dcaab.jpg

Stocked up for the next hour 

20200620_204656.thumb.jpg.aaebfe8e758045e501a7390626cb9329.jpg

I'm on a roll been working six days a week so haven't been home but for the past four weeks now as I remember on all my Saturday evenings and sundays off; I've been very... very drunk. 

#FullTilt 

• Haha 1

A wee upgrade to the outside seating area at 'Turvey Towers' 

Decided that I wasn't drinking my beer fast enough and it was getting warm in the sun! 🌞🍺😃

IMG_20200623_171407053.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend we had our first guests at The Piston Broke Garage Bar, my brother's ex-wife and her husband! 😃 They live just up the road and we invited them down for a catch-up and a drink.....or two. 

He's a handyman at a couple of the local hotels so in conversation I hinted that if there was ever stuff being chucked out whilst renovating etc to give me a shout. He said he had a couple of stained glass panels from behind one of the bars when it was gutted a while ago and offered me one of them. 

He took it down this morning. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I'm quite chuffed with it. 

IMG_20200705_143113392.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Last weekend we had our first guests at The Piston Broke Garage Bar, my brother's ex-wife and her husband! 😃 They live just up the road and we invited them down for a catch-up and a drink.....or two. 

He's a handyman at a couple of the local hotels so in conversation I hinted that if there was ever stuff being chucked out whilst renovating etc to give me a shout. He said he had a couple of stained glass panels from behind one of the bars when it was gutted a while ago and offered me one of them. 

He took it down this morning. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I'm quite chuffed with it. 

IMG_20200705_143113392.jpg

If you could space them out from the wall with some say one inch pine strips to create a false wall; paint inside white and add some white LED strips around the one inch wooden cavity to act as a false window 

Would light them up nice; the led can also be dimmable versions to adjust to the correct settings. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Lenny I was kinda thinking lightbox thing as well 🤔 although I should have made it more clear that I only got 1 of the panels 😉

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Turvey said:

Cheers @Lenny I was kinda thinking lightbox thing as well 🤔 although I should have made it more clear that I only got 1 of the panels 😉

Ouch! That reminds me of back when I was 15 had a six pack of cans and my mother taught me just as i took a month full out of the first one.

It's a taste of what could have been 😅 maybe suit a confession box door or toilet 

Made a (very) rough box, more to keep it safe and decided to hang it in the bar! Well it did come from a pub! Stuck a 40watt bulb behind it, looks OK, wouldn't win any prizes, but I'm happy with it.

IMG_20200713_200549989.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Turvey said:

Made a (very) rough box, more to keep it safe and decided to hang it in the bar! Well it did come from a pub! Stuck a 40watt bulb behind it, looks OK, wouldn't win any prizes, but I'm happy with it.

Looks great the way you have it situated. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

No going back now!

Pipes are redundant and now removed.

IMG_20200829_094131702.jpg

• Like 1

And I'm done!

The old Focus isn't thinking much of it though 😃 got to wait until Tuesday now until I can get it emptied 🙄

IMG_20200829_164522597.jpg

IMG_20200829_164620218.jpg

• Like 2

Oh look a capri handling pack. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club