Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SYNC 3 update?

Joel Bavidge

What software version is your sync on at present ? 

Did you try manual update in car on Sync3 to see what date and info comes back?

11 hours ago, iantt said:

What software version is your sync on at present ? 

As pic.

I was about to ask about this. I have never updated it and if as I'm told here the auto update doesn't work and the Sync web site says I have the most recent version of the software installed then there hasn't been an update for over two years. Is that correct?

Version-min.jpg

My car which is four weeks old has software version 3.3 with F7 maps

23 minutes ago, NortonSS said:

My car which is four weeks old has software version 3.3 with F7 maps

Mines 3 months old with version 3.2 and F7 maps . In your case I'd go back to the dealer and make them do the F8 update as it was available late January . As of today it still looks like Fords update website is not working although I suspect this is dependent on VIN numbers.

24 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

Mines 3 months old with version 3.2 and F7 maps . In your case I'd go back to the dealer and make them do the F8 update as it was available late January . As of today it still looks like Fords update website is not working although I suspect this is dependent on VIN numbers.

OK, I'll do that cheers.
The level of ignorance within the dealership is stunning. I have had several people there within feet of each other within minutes tell me completely contradictory things. They seem to be making up any old guff designed to just make me go away.  

patience is the key guys when going through the ford website for the update, that's either for the software or the maps, mine took three weeks in total to get right, going back on ford website and trying again, but agreed on the last update set in the future by that many years defo something wrong. 

look at my previous posts, that may help?

On 3/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, MarcusK said:

OK, I'll do that cheers.
The level of ignorance within the dealership is stunning. I have had several people there within feet of each other within minutes tell me completely contradictory things. They seem to be making up any old guff designed to just make me go away.  

The daealer will do software but not the maps, the maps are seen as an accessory.

I've been trying to download the map update from owner.ford.com , if you enter your VIN then the site will give you an update : SYNC3_2751223487_Update.zip unfortunately every time I've tried it completes without an error but the zip file is corrupted.

Has anyone managed to download this update and successfully been able to unzip it ? (I've tried difference computers and internet connections)

Below is my current version, I dont really use the inbuilt maps as I use Android Auto with google maps. but it would be nice to have the latest sync3 which I believe is v3.3 as its more stable apparently.

Anyone got this update please? the over the wifi update shows that there isn't an update available which is contra to what the owner.ford.com website says and if that worked then there wouldn't be a problem. The dealer want the car in to do the update and want to charge 2 hrs labour. Not happening.

IMG_20190310_185000_1.thumb.jpg.1838b54f667ffe7432ca6d9b3a1d8d49.jpg

The updates you are offered are VIN specific however I would say that is an update for the Sync3 software that you will have to do before you can download the latest map version . Yours is ancient as F7 has been around quite a while now.

Some have managed to download F8 successfully however if you don't already know Ford are telling enquirers that they have problems with the download site that they are trying to resolve and to wait or check with a dealer. In my case and many others I get a prompt telling me there is a download of 0 MB .

Mine is going in as a warranty job now after I came close to losing the plot with my dealership. They tried to tell me that the Wi-Fi update doesn’t work in England as we don’t have the satellite coverage..!  (I know…!!!!)

I don’t really care about the maps, like others I use(d) Android Auto anyway, but now my Sync has developed this error that won’t connect either saying that my cars software has failed it’s security check.

I’m treating my Sat-Nav just like my gear box, it’s not working, it’s under warranty, so fix it. I’m not letting my dealer bore me with their issues, faulty web sites, software fixes etc I don’t care about any of that in the same way I wouldn’t be interested in the finer details of any other fault. Fix it or replace it.

I’ll let you know how I get on with that….!!

The satellites don’t update the Sync3 in the UK, never have done. You’re as well turning auto updates off. 

You can update Sync3 software yourself via the Ford download page and you can also update the map software too. 

Ford will update the Sync3 software during a routine service as it’s an update to software, they will not update the maps as this is understandably down to the user.

of course, if the unit is faulty then they should absolutely sort it under warranty and it’s not the customers concern what problems that causes for Ford. I wouldn’t expect the maps to be updated though 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, pragmatix said:

The daealer will do software but not the maps, the maps are seen as an accessory.

that's daft, as you require a file that the car puts back on the USB stick to upload to the sync website for ford to recognise that the software is up to date then it will allow you to download the new mapping 

5 hours ago, G_O_L_D said:

that's daft, as you require a file that the car puts back on the USB stick to upload to the sync website for ford to recognise that the software is up to date then it will allow you to download the new mapping 

When the car is connected to Ford diagnostics after they update the system it automatically updates the server and unlocks the mapping update, similar process to the owner doing it online.

Even though it apparently doesn't work in the UK I have left Wi-Fi updates on in my car just to see if anything ever does happen

Anyway, just been out to change the clock ready for tomorrow and as soon as the screen came on a message came up "Downloading new system update JR3T-14G391-AD-131059-tar.gz" 

Anyone know what that's about? I'll have a good look later and see if anything's happened.

I have just installed the latest software update in my car ( version 3.3 build 18201 updated to version 3.3 build 18351 ) took about 20 minutes to download into the car and about 5 minutes to install. I have sent the log file to the Ford server then checked for further updates again , the F8  map version is available but it is still showing 0mb, it's been like this for the last three weeks but the sync update only came up Monday.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:21 PM, skipzoid said:

I've been trying to download the map update from owner.ford.com , if you enter your VIN then the site will give you an update : SYNC3_2751223487_Update.zip unfortunately every time I've tried it completes without an error but the zip file is corrupted.

Has anyone managed to download this update and successfully been able to unzip it ? (I've tried difference computers and internet connections)

Below is my current version, I dont really use the inbuilt maps as I use Android Auto with google maps. but it would be nice to have the latest sync3 which I believe is v3.3 as its more stable apparently.

Anyone got this update please? the over the wifi update shows that there isn't an update available which is contra to what the owner.ford.com website says and if that worked then there wouldn't be a problem. The dealer want the car in to do the update and want to charge 2 hrs labour. Not happening.

IMG_20190310_185000_1.thumb.jpg.1838b54f667ffe7432ca6d9b3a1d8d49.jpg

Sync 3.3 is different hardware, and the map update won't update your firmware, I've done the F8 map update and I'm still on Build 18025.

I have updated my firmware to the latest issue posted the log file to Ford (which they say is successful) but the map update which only becomes available after a successful download is still showing 0mb

I downloaded sync3 3.3 last week which has resolved several issues particularly with radio settings. but still no map update to F8 I just get "please try later" when checking. After several Emails to them  Ford CRC have now opened a case file for me on this issue and escalated it and promise to update me but have assured me their software engineers are working to resolve it. I would suggest everyone Emails their customer relations centre pressure on them

• 5 months later...

I own a 2017 C max purchased in Northern Ireland. I now live in Aberdeen and  the Cmax sat nav does not pick up any new road here , of which there are many! dealer says tell Ford, Ford says speak to dealer!!

NI Ford uses strap line "Trust Ford" . Not sure I do anymore, I have also spent hours,, no days, trying to download and unzip the update with an Imac and it is useless. I think I may end up going back to my previous car dealer for a trade in , Toyota!!!

It is time Ford spent some money on making the update process user friendly, give the dealership some decent training and devise software that works!

😞Paddy

4 hours ago, Scotpaddy said:

I own a 2017 C max purchased in Northern Ireland. I now live in Aberdeen and  the Cmax sat nav does not pick up any new road here , of which there are many! dealer says tell Ford, Ford says speak to dealer!!

NI Ford uses strap line "Trust Ford" . Not sure I do anymore, I have also spent hours,, no days, trying to download and unzip the update with an Imac and it is useless. I think I may end up going back to my previous car dealer for a trade in , Toyota!!!

It is time Ford spent some money on making the update process user friendly, give the dealership some decent training and devise software that works!

😞Paddy

Have a read on the Edge forum re map updates we have been swapping files to do the updates and ignored Ford's pathetic offering - even then others tell me some of the maops are a couple of years out of date so don't hold your breath.

The whole SYNC3 experience is pathetic - considering the list price of my car when new was over £40K (thanks heaven I didn't pay that) you would think the technology would actually be 21st Century and not taken from a ZX81 (Rant Over)

• 1 year later...

Hi, my 1.0 C Max, november 2017 has sync 3.0 anf F9 maps.

How to update sync to 3.4? (Ford site: 'your car is up to date' but is not!)

On 12/5/2020 at 9:10 AM, Hansi said:

Hi, my 1.0 C Max, november 2017 has sync 3.0 anf F9 maps.

How to update sync to 3.4? (Ford site: 'your car is up to date' but is not!)

Officially, due to hardware differences, you can't upgrade 3.0 to 3.4. The only way to do it is the unofficial Cyanlabs route, but that would obviously be at your own risk.

Thnx, so the Cyanlabs update give's me 3.4 on a 3.3 C Max. But owners risk...hmm tricky...

I did the upgrade from 3.0 to 3.4 on my Mondeo and it was totally painless... But yes, it is unofficial. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club