Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Smax gear change - Manual

Damien Mc Mahon

Hi, new to this site and the ford Smax club. Just wondering if someone may be able to help me. I recently bought 2010 Smax 2 litre diesel. 

I have noticed that it can be difficult to get into reverse sometimes. It just won't engage. I does eventually when I retry bit just wondering if this is common or something to be concerned about. 

Also, when driving my kids to school, I noticed that there was a rubbing noise when I shifted gear. I felt like friction and not grinding or crunching and feels like it's coming from the base of the gear stick. It lasted a couple of minutes and then went away. This has happened twice. Anyone experience this before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Damien . 

If its anything like the mondeo of the same age the gear cables can go out of adjustment, not that common but it can happen, its not a DiY job to sort if that is what the problem is.

The rubbing noise/feeling is caused by the selector rods rubbing on it's own rubber boots/dust covers and the source will be in the egine bay (above the gearbox), the vibration from the rubbing transmits down the rod and that's why it feels like it's the gear stick. Not familiar with the access on the S-Max, you should be able to see the rods above the gearbox in the area between tthe engine and the battery, just spray some lube on there ( I use white grease) and work the gear stick through the gears.

Can't comment on the reverse issue, but does sound that it could be out of adjustment.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club