Reversing light problem

Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci

Hello!!

Reversing light not working on my Focus 2.5. Checked the following:

- light bulb: OK

- voltage measurement at the socket: 12.5V OK, fuse no 141 check OK

- unplug the socket and cleaned it with IPA 

- plug the LED light into the connector, it works

but still no light when I put in an existing or new 21W bulb.

Any ideas or previous experience? My gut feeling is that the plug-socket has a poor connection, maybe need to be replaced? Or anything else?

Thanks in advance!

The contacts in the mk2 for brake and fog are notorious for going over time. (Particularly the left side for some reason??)

Anyway, although it was quicker for me to pickup a new holder from a donor car, you can actually clean up the contacts a bit with a thin eraser and then use a pencil to colour the tabs in a little to help. The contacts themselves can be pulled back out a smidge to bring them back in to place using a small flathead driver or thin tweezers (Poundland!). It happens, but just be careful to make sure the car is off for one, and that you don't bend too far.

Fiddly, but that's the usual problem.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Thanks Sam!

shall try this tomorrow morning, just before MOT. One more question, measured the resistance of the reverse light switch on the gearbox, result is a bit strange 7 Ohm....to me this is a bit too high. Any comments??

Not a worry at all. Unfortunately I don't have either of my Mk2's anymore otherwise I would go and check them out for you; perhaps someone else here is kind enough and willing to have a looksee? Hope its is just that simple either way, good luck!

Sam,

Thank you again!

Resolved the problem, it was a mix of contaminated plug contacts on the gearbox switch side and contaminated contacts on the bulb side. Sprayed both side plugs with contact cleaner, than used a jumper wire to verify the wiring. At the end it worked!!! No need to replace the gearbox mounted switch. Yet. The voltage measurement at the bulb side did confuse me, since dirty plug contact carries the voltage but it has increased resistance caused by contamination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a worry at all, glad it's a simple one! (If a bit faffy)

Thanks for posting the solution up too, it may well help others in the future!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club