Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car keeps stalling

Sambambeano

1 minute ago, nicam49 said:

Thing is, its a 2004 car. As codes aren't date stamped, it could have loads of irrelevant ones stored. Tom, I don't share your optimism 'Split boost hose can cause a code via the MAP sensor for underboost or MAF/MAP discrepancy.'   that yer average mechanic will extrapolate that info and work out there's a split boost hose. He'll have changed both sensors 1st and telling the customer he suspects the turbo! I also doubt very much that egr isn't just a vacuum operated one without position sensor.. as it is on my own 2002 TDCi  (disclaimer:  I might be wrong..) . let's hope the OP comes back to this thread when they resolve it. 

Sounds like your mechanic is the issue...not the diagnostics. :wink:  I would strongly suggest the OP gets Forscan and lets us know the codes but I can't force him to do that lol.  With anything ECU controlled, it'd be mad to just start replacing things without at least checking the codes first.  With regards to not being date stamped, that's why we check all codes, then clear them and see which come back at the next stall.

Oh, and you are wrong about the EGR, this is a PSA derived engine with solenoid operated EGR, unlike your Ford engine. :smile: 

• Like 1

@TomsFocus @nicam49 thank you both for your feedback. I have had a look at some YouTube videos and I'm gonna try to give the EGR a clean but if that's not the problem the fuel filter that you mentioned could be the issue Tom I will get that replaced as it's near the EGR I'm gonna be attempting to remove so hopefully we should be a set closer today. 

@TomsFocus just reading your last reply to nicam49 so do you think it's not the EGR valve and it's a waste of time trying to remove and clean it? I will be getting this forscan device you have mentioned, I have googled it but there's a couple, is their one that you recommend me getting? For the time being I don't mind getting my hands dirty and trying things myself as long as I have videos or support along the way lol 

Cheers again buddy

Just an update, I've been tinkering with the car for the past 2 hours and somehow I've made it worse.

I couldn't get the EGR valve out so I put everything back the way I found it and now the car doesn't start at all.

The EML, oil and battery light come on the dash and don't go of now, where as they only appeared after the stall but went of and stayed of after restarting until it stalled after trying to set of.

Hi, if you email tunnelrat, they'll advise which model to get. The best ones need to run off a Windows laptop via usb.. but as Tom said some will run from your phone, and bluetooth.. I'm not sure which ones tho.

Dont keep cranking the engine for >30 secs at a time... starter motors are quite delicate, also rest the battery between attempts. On my TDCi there's a 60amp fuse to pull to stop the battery draining via the glowplugs (which take oodles of amps whenever you turn on the ignition) but dunno on yours. 

Can you describe what is now happening and what exactly did you do when you attempted to remove the egr?

If it's not even attempting to start (just clicking?) then the battery is probably flat now.  Get a jump or battery booster if possible.

The EML won't go out until it starts.  The battery light won't go out until it starts and the alternator is charging.  The oil pressure light won't go out until either it starts or you crank it long enough to build up pressure.

TunnelRat is best for the Ford ELM cable/dongle as above.

I watched a video on YouTube and followed it step by step and removed the filter box, unclipped a few wires removed the fuel filter and tried getting at the EGR but couldn't get at the bolts.

I put everything back the way I took it of, went to start and it just kept clicking... I'd say out of 10 times of trying to start it she fired up twice for a split second then died straight away. I gave up after that as I'm not sure what I'm doing and didn't want to cause more damage.

I shall get in touch with tunnelrat and see what they say.

Oh...if you removed any of the fuel pipes to the filter you'll need to manually prime the system now.  These don't have a tank lift pump to do it electronically.

Hopefully yours has the 'grenade' pump that I mentioned in an earlier post?  Pump that until it gets firm and then try.  Although if the battery is flat you'll need to boost that with a booster pack or jump leads as well.

They are a bleeder to bleed, i do know that..

Edited by mozz
Predictive text
  • Haha 1

When I had the same problem you're having, it was on a Renault Scenic 1.9Turbo diesel, which would have the same PSA engine type as yours. It started and revved fine, but would just not get up my drive which is on a slight incline. As I said earlier, it got towed to the main dealer who fixed it by just cleaning the egr. No parts needed, apparently. 

44 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

When I had the same problem you're having, it was on a Renault Scenic 1.9Turbo diesel, which would have the same PSA engine type as yours. It started and revved fine, but would just not get up my drive which is on a slight incline. As I said earlier, it got towed to the main dealer who fixed it by just cleaning the egr. No parts needed, apparently. 

EGR are a pain hence additives do help, especially now they say if they can see its been blanked of its an MOT failure,never used to be i believe.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:02 PM, Sambambeano said:

Cheers @mozz I shall let you guys know how I get on..

Use one of these its easy to bleed then.connect all pipes and put this on the output side(pipe to engine).Pump till fuel comes out of tube,filter now full..disconnect refit pipe start engine put revs to approx 1800 the few air bubbles that are in the pipe will soon pass.

Primer.jpg

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

Completely different engine again I'm afraid... :laugh: 

47 minutes ago, Gazcaz said:

Use one of these its easy to bleed then.connect all pipes and put this on the output side(pipe to engine).Pump till fuel comes out of tube,filter now full..disconnect refit pipe start engine put revs to approx 1800 the few air bubbles that are in the pipe will soon pass.

Primer.jpg

The 1.4 TDCi in the Mk6 already has one of these in the system so much easier than the 1.6 TDCi or the later 1.4s.  Back left near the airbox. :smile: 

Image result for 1.4 tdci fiesta

• Thanks 1

cheers guys for all your help, I've been up today and been pumping away and got it to start and rev again as previous.

Unfortunatly it still does not want to set of so I'm gonna have to drag it's butt to a garage I think and see what they say...

Edited by Sambambeano
Blanked out the word A.s.s
  • Thanks 2

Hi! Thanks for the update and do let us know how you get on. 👍  A pity you couldn't get to the egr... it's a bit too parky out there at the mo to be working on engines! 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Completely different engine again I'm afraid... :laugh: 

Even tho' a similar vintage and from the same stable ? . The Scenic was a company car, long since gone,  and at the time I wouldn't  have had a clue about engines, diesel or otherwise. 

6 hours ago, Gazcaz said:

EGR are a pain hence additives do help, especially now they say if they can see its been blanked of its an MOT failure,never used to be i believe.

No, that came in last year to tighten up on emissions. 'cos the egr is to do with emission control. The pass on diesels used to be 3 ppm on the smoke test, then last year they started taking the figure on the vin plate... which is MUCH lower than 3 ppm. (on my Mondy it's 1.56, even lower on later models) I wonder how many diesels are now at the breakers due to that? 🤔

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, nicam49 said:

Even tho' a similar vintage and from the same stable ? . The Scenic was a company car, long since gone,  and at the time I wouldn't  have had a clue about engines, diesel or otherwise. 

Renault aren't part of PSA and had nothing to do with this engine.  The 1.4/1.6 TDCi/HDi was a joint venture between PSA and Ford.  It is mostly PSA though, very similar to the old 8v 2.0HDi on EDC15 management that came in the late 90s Peugeot's.   It's also used in Volvo's, Minis and Suzukis but not Renault's.  Even the 1.5DCi in Renault's of a similar age is totally different.

It was a very modern engine when it first came out around 2004, very lightweight and with ultra low emmisions...and also a lot of teething troubles!

• Like 1

@nicam49 cheers buddy I will do.. It is indeed cold out specially when it rains with no cover and engines half out on side of the road 😂 

@TomsFocus these teething problems do you think I'm gonna run into more in next year cos it's only a starter car for insurance but seems to be costing money more than saving me any haha

9 hours ago, Sambambeano said:

@TomsFocus these teething problems do you think I'm gonna run into more in next year cos it's only a starter car for insurance but seems to be costing money more than saving me any haha

Lol...I made the mistake of buying a delicate 1.6TDCi Focus for the cheap tax...cost far more in repairs & servicing than the tax saving! :laugh: 

Teething troubles were really when they first came out, one that's lasted this long must be fairly decent.  Realistically though, you're likely to have problems with any 15 year old car.  These engines are known to be a bit sensitive, but they're not bad overall.  You might have more luck with a petrol engine on an older car (less to go wrong) but obviously the fuel and tax costs are higher.  There isn't a simple answer to keeping costs down and reliability up unfortunately...I've owned over 40 cars so far and still looking for that answer! 

15 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol...I made the mistake of buying a delicate 1.6TDCi Focus for the cheap tax...cost far more in repairs & servicing than the tax saving! :laugh: 

Teething troubles were really when they first came out, one that's lasted this long must be fairly decent.  Realistically though, you're likely to have problems with any 15 year old car.  These engines are known to be a bit sensitive, but they're not bad overall.  You might have more luck with a petrol engine on an older car (less to go wrong) but obviously the fuel and tax costs are higher.  There isn't a simple answer to keeping costs down and reliability up unfortunately...I've owned over 40 cars so far and still looking for that answer! 

Haha let me know can ya... Save me a few cars maybe 

Hi guys, cars been at a garage all day yesterday so hopefully will find out what's up with it today 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club