Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hold problems

Gilli

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

If your parked on a hill, the car could roll? Before u get the door open? 

Only if you're stupid and can't drive? 

Just now, Alex.S said:

There’s a bunch of owners complaining about it being a safety issue. Sounds like it’s not a problem for you? 

If it's working correctly which in mine it is, then it's not a safety issue at all.

2 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

There’s a fb page dedicated to this feature being a safety issue. You should join it ...it would amuse me 

11 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

What you saying then, u put it in gear ? 

8 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

There’s a fb page dedicated to this feature being a safety issue. You should join it ...it would amuse me 

If it's not working correctly, then it could be a safety issue, working correctly, then I can't see why it would be. 

I use auto hold. 

1 hour ago, simps100 said:

Managed to get my auto handbrake apply twice in a row tonight it’s the first time I’ve had it work.

I stopped the car with just the brake and switched the ignition off so it went to park automatically, the handbrake then applied automatically when I opened the 

1 hour ago, simps100 said:

Managed to get my auto handbrake apply twice in a row tonight it’s the first time I’ve had it work.

I stopped the car with just the brake and switched the ignition off so it went to park automatically, the handbrake then applied automatically when I opened the drivers door.

I don't think it applied because you opened the door, just the timing coincided, 99.9% sure if you had just sat in the car the handbrake would have applied after engine shut-off

3 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

I don't think it applied because you opened the door, just the timing coincided, 99.9% sure if you had just sat in the car the handbrake would have applied after engine shut-off

I will do some more messing tomorrow too - I always thought it “should” apply the handbrake when I’ve parked but never managed to make it work and sort of forgot about it for a few weeks and just got used to pulling the switch - but today it definitely applied it’s self automaticity  and even come up in the cluster park brake applied - as you say opening the door part could be a coincidence!

10 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

And what about those behind you at night? I use auto hold all the time and it's always worked. 

Two ways of looking at it , A) your glaring into their eyes,  B) by have bright brake lights on you altering the ***** who's travelling far too fast and coming up on you that your stopped

In a manual I always put it in gear and handbrake on when parking up.  

I used to start the car with clutch down to ease strain on the box.

Old skool 😀

Just now, Guy Heaton said:

In a manual I always put it in gear and handbrake on when parking up.  

I used to start the car with clutch down to ease strain on the box.

Old skool 😀

You have to have the clutch down to be able to start the car.

Routine for the "Old school" 👍

• Like 1

I think the big issue here is age related

old duffers that understood the world, their brain was connected at birth and when they don't know, they read and digest the manual (and park in gear because you should).

circa 28 to 40 year olds who think they are clever and never read the manual (and have a mix of part baked skills in both the old duffer and the 3 year old camps) 

3 year olds who write the software, are stupid and invent features and procedures only a brain dead moron would ever think of 

Issues raised, are probably because the 3 year old had completed the software before the engineer had got halfway through stating what it needed to do.  And as doesn't drive, has no comprehension of the differences required when driving a vehicle with a manual gearbox, a DSG, or an automatic. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Botus said:

3 year olds who write the software, are stupid and invent features and procedures only a brain dead moron would ever think of.  (and completed the software before the engineer had got halfway through stating what he want it to do)

.... and then use the paying public to beta-test it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

Yep you was right - stopped car today it went to park by it’s self and a few seconds later the hand brake applied automatically 

• Like 1

Boris is right in a sense.

I grew up with mechanical cars so ingrained in my driving is doing things yourself, stop the car, handbrake on, engine off, leave the box in gear.  Or if an auto put it in P yourself.

So I have no real need or want for the car to do it, and when it does I don't trust it so I just continue to do these things manually.  Yes it's handy that the car will do it if I forget but I don't rely on this.  It's why I don't see the point of most of the driver aid stuff.

The generation growing up with cars going everything for them will let it, cos it's normal for them and that's cool.

The auto hold function is a great feature. Applying the foot brake and holding the car in place without having to keep your foot down (hill or no hill). The parking brake (handbrake) will apply if you switch the engine off if the auto-hold function is enabled or you move it to neutral. If you havent used it, you should try it. Ive never had any delay with it disengaging when i drive off, and im always first off the mark at a junction.

The problem, is it will randomly switch itself off. If youre expecting the car to stay put, and it doesnt, thats an issue. Obviously, you can manually apply the parking brake, but if the car is supposed to do something and isnt. thats a fault.

To me, it seems as though there are those that dont use it and dont understand the issue, and those that use it, that seem to experience the same issue (random disengaging). Even Ford dont really understand it, and Ive sent pictures and quoted from the manual regarding the auto-hold and get a reply of 'you mean the hill assist' 
spacer.png

There's a random glitch that can switch off autohold  and sometimes clear user settings at same time eg speed limiter limits . Dealers in my experience don't have a clue.

Autohold is still a great feature though . I'm old enough to have started driving in the 60's in 1940's and 50's cars and wouldn't want to go back to those days. Modern tech in cars is great and makes the experience effortless.

I use the in app owners manual as the real thing has so much irrelevant (to me) crap . I can’t find any info on auto handbrake. 
Anyone got a screenshot or a page number? 

16 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I use the in app owners manual as the real thing has so much irrelevant (to me) crap . I can’t find any info on auto handbrake. 
Anyone got a screenshot or a page number? 

page 196 if i remember correctly
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O142368&countryCode=USA&languageCode=en&marketCode=US&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1930243&subTitleSelected=G1930266&topicHRef=G1930270&div=f&variantid=7420&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=GBR

9 minutes ago, Carlord01 said:

Thanks for the link. 
I must be missing something here..I don’t see any info on the electric parkbrake activating automatically!! 
I’ll need to get the book out the car. 

You won't find it. When i bought my car 18 months ago the dealer showed me how the handbrake worked ,in particular the auto feature and told me you wont find this in the handbook. There is a very vague reference to it though for automatics.

• Like 1

Got in the car earlier today and started it up as normal. 

Pressed the Autohold button and set off 30m to the junction. At the junction there was a car approaching so had to stop and give way.

Now normally I would simply put foot on brake and stop then proceed as normal to drive off.

This time I stopped the car as normal then took my foot off of the brake pedal expecting the auto hold to keep the car still bearing in mind its an almost flat road with a slight rise to the junction and the car rolled backwards so ended up using the foot brake as per normal 🙄

6 minutes ago, Wino said:

Got in the car earlier today and started it up as normal. 

Pressed the Autohold button and set off 30m to the junction. At the junction there was a car approaching so had to stop and give way.

Now normally I would simply put foot on brake and stop then proceed as normal to drive off.

This time I stopped the car as normal then took my foot off of the brake pedal expecting the auto hold to keep the car still bearing in mind its an almost flat road with a slight rise to the junction and the car rolled backwards so ended up using the foot brake as per normal 🙄

Replied without reading properly. Yeah that shouldn’t happen 

the few times mines turned itself off has been when the engines been off. I’ve noticed at first junction 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club