Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

Like to see someone's going to make a good profit on my old Mondeo. I px for 5250 and it's up for 7495 on auto trader. And claim it's got full service history!! Yeah right. I scribbled the mileages and dates in service book but no stamps to say who did it 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, iantt said:

no stamps to say who did it 

He's probably bought them on Fleabay by now!😀

• Haha 2

Conformation of me saving energy , better by a long way than my neighbours. Just goes I am a tight wad when I want to be.  🤣🤣

Screenshot_20221119-102406.png

• Like 1

Been given a Puma whilst the Fiesta is in for a service. Really quite like it, the mHEV picks up really nicely, though the regenerative braking took some getting used to haha!

The wealth of knowledge and support from members on here even if not car related. I dont moan ALL the time haha !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

VW launch brand new SatNav system of the future !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's really cool for the tech available at the time. :smile:

I know, imagine, a cassette! LOL

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I know, imagine, a cassette! LOL

Not just a single cassette...one for every unfamiliar journey you need to make!  :laugh:

The distance calculator was interesting though.  When I first started working on cars we had a diag tool with physically switchable PCBs like that, different ones for each marque.  Thankfully electronic storage has come on a bit since then! :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Not just a single cassette...one for every unfamiliar journey you need to make!  :laugh:

I wonder if they came complete with a BIC biro, so you could loop the tape back into the cassette when it unravelled LOL

• Haha 2

Just found a card in the door to say my water meter was replaced today.  (Thought the taps seemed odd earlier, aerated and 'sneezy'.). 

Anyone know why they might have done that?  Thought it might be a smart meter but apparently they're not being fitted in my area after a postcode search.  I can only assume it was faulty or leaking but had no idea if it was!

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Just found a card in the door to say my water meter was replaced today.  (Thought the taps seemed odd earlier, aerated and 'sneezy'.). 

Anyone know why they might have done that?  Thought it might be a smart meter but apparently they're not being fitted in my area after a postcode search.  I can only assume it was faulty or leaking but had no idea if it was!

Either faulty, leaking or an upgrade but....you should ov had notice that it was being replaced. To replace one without notice was a big no no when I was on the utilities and was one ov the biggest complaints / compensation outlets within the industry.

• Thanks 1

I like placing the order for my new car! Replacement for the Fiesta inbound in March/April. I swore I was going to have an auto next, but I’ve failed on that count!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

I like placing the order for my new car! Replacement for the Fiesta inbound in March/April. I swore I was going to have an auto next, but I’ve failed on that count!

An impressive feat nowadays...almost everything interesting seems to be auto! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Im on my first auto of sorts, and I'm loving it. Both hands on the steering wheel, not having to think what gear I should be esp on my way to work down bendy rural roads. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, iantt said:

Im on my first auto of sorts, and I'm loving it. Both hands on the steering wheel, not having to think what gear I should be esp on my way to work down bendy rural roads. 

I use to be a snob about 'autos' always thinking they weren't proper cars. Till I got a Mitsubishi FTO which had a tiptronic gear box, so I had the option of 'changing' gears by tapping the stick up or down. After a week of putting it into 'drive', I don't think I used the tiptronic option again for the years I owned that car. Took me ages though getting use to when the car stopped, that the engine didn't stall with me not having to press a clutch!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

An impressive feat nowadays...almost everything interesting seems to be auto! :rolleyes: 

As I've found when looking around this last few weeks. Although I'm not keen on the Mk 8 Golf touchscreen controls, I was thinking of biting the bullet and at least trying the current GTI, only to find that it went to "DSG  only" literally the very next day!

To some extent it's not necessarily the auto per se I don't like, but the controls. I've recently tried the Corolla and Civic hybrids and, to my surprise, quite liked both. But I preferred the selector on the Corolla, which is like a normal auto selector lever, to the Civic which has a row of buttons for PRND.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

. Took me ages though getting use to when the car stopped, that the engine didn't stall with me not having to press a clutch!

My usual trick.is for "muscle memory" to cause my left foot to try to press the non-existent clutch when coming to a halt, hit the brake instead, and stop rather more abruptly than intended.

Oddly I've driven three non manual cars in the last ten days and didn't do it once, so maybe my left foot has lost its memory!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was quite surprised by my lack of muscle memory when I drove the DSG Leon (2 years ago now!), as it had been a good 8 years since I last drove an auto at the time.  Didn't go for the clutch once.  Found the drive itself straightforward. 

The problem was just that my brain couldn't manage the lack of precise control with pulling away and slow manoeuvres.  Felt like a passenger while in the drivers seat!  I never normally brake either, just drop a gear before a junction and let the engine brake, which means a very different driving style was needed when approaching junctions in an auto.

In hindsight, I wish I'd started to drive an auto again a few years ago, when I might have had more chance at adapting to it.  Realistically, I don't think I could physically manage a manual now, don't think I've got the strength or stamina for frequent gear changing.  But I also know that I've got virtually no chance of 'balance' adapting to an auto.  I haven't been in a moving vehicle at all for over 12 months now and have no idea how to even attempt trying to get back into it.

• Like 1

Do the DSG gearboxes still have the issues the earlier models were saddled with ?

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The problem was just that my brain couldn't manage the lack of precise control with pulling away and slow manoeuvres.  Felt like a passenger while in the drivers seat!  I never normally brake either, just drop a gear before a junction and let the engine brake, which means a very different driving style was needed when approaching junctions in an auto.

Yes, it's the slow speed stuff that occasionally fazes me, I'm fine with the general driving.

It's really only the first few manoeuvres, the degree of "creep" does seem to vary quite a bit between cars, so you're not sure what will happen when you let go of the brake - some cars set off quite smartly, some don't move. It's only like getting used to the clutch biting point on a manual, though.

I did find the two full hybrids I've tried recently seemed more controllable at low speeds than ICE "autos" (particularly DSG). Possibly because they're actually being driven by the electric motor rather than directly by the engine. I've yet to try a full EV but assume that would be similar.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Do the DSG gearboxes still have the issues the earlier models were saddled with ?

I understand that they're pretty good these days, particularly the wet clutch variety.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, it's the slow speed stuff that occasionally fazes me, I'm fine with the general driving.

It's really only the first few manoeuvres, the degree of "creep" does seem to vary quite a bit between cars, so you're not sure what will happen when you let go of the brake - some cars set off quite smartly, some don't move. It's only like getting used to the clutch biting point on a manual, though.

I did find the two full hybrids I've tried recently seemed more controllable at low speeds than ICE "autos" (particularly DSG). Possibly because they're actually being driven by the electric motor rather than directly by the engine. I've yet to try a full EV but assume that would be similar.

Ev is so much better than a ice auto. Far more controllable. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Nice to hear from you, Zain. My Mrs has had the Seat Mii version of the Up! for over 8 years now and it's been a very good little car.

I assume from your comments on the ECU that yours is the 60ps version? Interesting thing I spotted on the various Up! (and clones) forums is that the 60ps has lower gearing than the factory 75ps. So if you swap the ECU  or have a remap (the likes of Superchip and Quantum claim about 82ps) you end up with quicker car than the factory 75ps.

Hey Eric. I've bought about 5 ups now in the year in the intention of flipping them for profit. Great little cars they are that I've decided to keep this one here. It's black and 5 door which ticks my boxes along with FSH and supposed timing belt done. Got these wheels and recently will be fitting the facelift rear lights and bumper on. I have a doner high up which I may swap the bits over so it's then near enough fully loaded.

Thats interesting to know about swapping the ECU and the gearbox in mine. Win win there then 😁. That might be why at 70mph the 75hp version sits at 3200 rpm and the 60hp is around 3000 

IMG_20221123_141119_0.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, iantt said:

Like to see someone's going to make a good profit on my old Mondeo. I px for 5250 and it's up for 7495 on auto trader. And claim it's got full service history!! Yeah right. I scribbled the mileages and dates in service book but no stamps to say who did it 

I was trying to buy this fiesta off my dad's friend's friend. Wanted £1k for it which I could of sold for £1500. Ghia model with cambelt done and serviced by his dad who is a ex ford technician. 

Sadly he took more priority on his son's friend who bought the car 🤦. Not happy too with my paycheck yesterday being paid a few hundred less which the fiesta profit could of made up for.

IMG-20221117-WA0001.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club