Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help please ''dead'' Focus MKIV 1.5 diesel 19 plate

MONDEO TXS 2.2

The car hasn't been driven for a while due to the circumstances, but the battery gets charged weekly in lieu, as it's a hot sunny day I've just tried to open the windows using the remote global opening as I've always done, and nothing happened, tried the other remote & no difference, so opened the drivers door using the key hidden in the remote & found i have no ignition , no audio & worse still the front passenger door won't open allowing me to pop the bonnet.

It appears as if i have a flat battery or has the car has gone '' to sleep ''

Does anyone have any idea how i can awaken the car or should i call Ford Breakdown ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Mark.

Will the car start if you put the key down in the backup position, by the front USB port?

How have you been charging the battery weekly?

Failure to Start - Vehicles with Manual Transmission

The system does not function if:

• The passive key frequencies are jammed.
  • The key battery has no charge.
If you are unable to start the engine, do the following:
  1. Insert the passive key into the backup position.   See  Passive Key Backup Position
  1. With the passive key in this position, you can use the push button ignition switch to switch the ignition on and start the engine.
If the engine does not crank after you fully press the clutch pedal and press the push button ignition switch, do the following:
  1. Fully press the clutch pedal and the brake pedal.
  1. Press the push button ignition switch.

keybackup.thumb.png.16fba2a97eb0b8ef199604106653a8ad.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Will the car start if you put the key down in the backup position, by the front USB port?

How have you been charging the battery weekly?

Hello Alex & thank you for your swift reply, i confess i haven't tried that so will go & do it now !

Otherwise you may have a dead car battery, but you said you'd been charging it? That's why I wondered how you'd been doing so, because wouldn't it require opening the car/bonnet?

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Otherwise you may have a dead car battery, but you said you'd been charging it? That's why I wondered how you'd been doing so, because wouldn't it require opening the car/bonnet?

The battery has been charged weekly Alex & was ok a few days ago & yes the passenger door has to be opened to pop the bonnet as you are aware, I'm just taking the laptop outside & into the car to follow your advice !

If it still won’t start there might be some parasitic drain or system that didn’t shutdown properly the last time you charged the car and it’s caused the battery to go flat. 

I’m not sure how you’ll get the bonnet open though. Does the passenger door have a backup lock beneath the cover like drivers side?

9 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I'm sat in the car now & have followed your instructions but there's no response - the car is '' dead '' no audio , no ignition

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If it still won’t start there might be some parasitic drain or system that didn’t shutdown properly the last time you charged the car and it’s caused the battery to go flat. 

I’m not sure how you’ll get the bonnet open though. Does the passenger door have a backup lock beneath the cover like drivers side?

I'm just looking at the passenger door now - hang on a minute please

There's no keyhole in the passenger door & it won't open from the inside

Procedure for opening bonnet with closed passenger door:

2883B9D7-FD63-410F-802C-7F3677CB737C.thumb.png.ea4935b7436ec1dc5911f63872b73563.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It does appear that the battery is flat & quite possibly caused by a parasitic drain as you have suggested, the problem would be easily solved if on i could open the passenger door allowing me to open the bonnet !

Guess I'll have to call out Ford assist

Procedure for opening bonnet with closed passenger door:

2883B9D7-FD63-410F-802C-7F3677CB737C.thumb.png.ea4935b7436ec1dc5911f63872b73563.png

Thanks Alex . .  I'll give that a try now

Blown-up image of the little bonnet release securing clip it's referring to

bonnetrelease.thumb.jpg.8eef08e3fce564e1eb8aab86a6983419.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alex I'm trying to find the sodding thing ! It's cooking in this car !

20 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I don't see that little purple thing - is that what I'm trying to pry ?

I guess so, the manual says there is a retention clip holding the lever in place, usually the purple highlighted bit, is what they are referring to.

• Thanks 1

But knowing Ford, they'll have changed the design to what's shown in the manual, 😅

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I guess so, the manual says there is a retention clip holding the lever in place, usually the purple highlighted bit, is what they are referring to.

I'll have to get a torch - it's dark as ditchwater down there - bear with me please Alex

Just now, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

I'll have to get a torch - it's dark as ditchwater down there - bear with me please Alex

Can't imagine it's easy to get a good look when you are leaning over from the driver's side.

I finish work in about an hour, if you haven't got it sussed, I'll see what I can see, I might have a better angle on it as I can open my door.

• Thanks 1

Just now, alexp999 said:

Can't imagine it's easy to get a good look when you are leaning over from the driver's side.

I finish work in about an hour, if you haven't got it sussed, I'll see what I can see, I might have a better angle on it as I can open my door.

Thanks Alex that would be very helpful, yes the hardest part is leaning over the seat & being baked to death - poxy black cars !  . . I'm in no real rush as we don't need the car, but you know what it's like when something this simple is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO difficult to overcome !

There's no coloured tab like that. There's a gap above the lever and you can just see a black part of the mechanism that I guess you push against with a screwdriver. See20200421_161755_resized.thumb.jpg.c0adc7e9944b2d9e017ad0dabdf0865f.jpg attached pic

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

There's no coloured tab like that. There's a gap above the lever and you can just see a black part of the mechanism that I guess you push against with a screwdriver. See20200421_161755_resized.thumb.jpg.c0adc7e9944b2d9e017ad0dabdf0865f.jpg attached pic

Thanks for that, try as i might i just can't see anything to pry or push or pull although i can get a finger in from the top there's no obvious clip, surely it can't be this difficult ! I can't understand why the passenger door won't open on the manual key that unlocks the drivers door 

See if you can get hold of a booster pack that plugs into the lighter socket.

It should at least give enough power to unlock the doors.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

The black item I mentioned looks like some sort of cam that you could push against but I'm sure its very difficult to see from drivers side. The key will only open the drivers door as it mechanically releases the lock. You would normally only need to use this if the car has been left for several weeks and gone into sleep mode whereby it won't respond to the keyfob. The fact that you can't open the passenger door from the inside indicates you must have deadlocked the car when you last locked it

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

See if you can get hold of a booster pack that plugs into the lighter socket.

It should at least give enough power to unlock the doors.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Would that work though as I thought the 12v sockets only power up when a key is recognised?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club