Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 infotainment screen sizes

aydamstoidy

I'm looking at getting an ST-Line X 140ps at some point.

I've heard online from reviews and videos that the infotainment screen comes in 3 sizes, 4", 6.5" and 8".

When looking at pictures and shopping around, I only see 2 sizes. I think its fairly obvious that the smallest one is 4", but is the larger one I'm seeing 6.5" or 8"? Do one of these not exist or am I missing something here?

SmartSelect_20200708-215703_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200708-215711_eBay.jpg

Looking at the new builds on the Ford website, even the trend model comes with 8" now. 

It'll be 8" in an ST Line X, mine is (18 plate) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above, the tiniest one was only in the Style and is very rare as not many of those were sold, it wasn’t even touchscreen! The 6.5inch came on Zetec, Trend and ST-Line (non X versions) up to the 2019.75 model year I think. These models gained the 8 inch if specced with sat-nav, and all the others had the 8 as standard. But they all have the 8 inch as standard regardless now.

• Thanks 1

Haha that makes sense! The ones that I look at all seem to have the larger display but I was never 100% sure if it was 6.5 inch or 8 inch because I haven't gone to see one in person yet. I thought one of them was some sort of myth as I'd only ever seen two sizes and still online I can only ever see two sizes. But that's great at least I'll definitely have 8 inches then 👍🏻

I've also noticed the newer 2020 models have an updated UI compared to 2018/19 where the font and colours of the buttons on the screen are refined and different. Is this something that can be done on a 2018 model via software update? (First pic is newer model)

dy20kka-10^1500x1001^.jpg

ve18sdv-12^1500x1001^.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aydamstoidy said:

Haha that makes sense! The ones that I look at all seem to have the larger display but I was never 100% sure if it was 6.5 inch or 8 inch because I haven't gone to see one in person yet. I thought one of them was some sort of myth as I'd only ever seen two sizes and still online I can only ever see two sizes. But that's great at least I'll definitely have 8 inches then 👍🏻

I've also noticed the newer 2020 models have an updated UI compared to 2018/19 where the font and colours of the buttons on the screen are refined and different. Is this something that can be done on a 2018 model via software update? (First pic is newer model)

dy20kka-10^1500x1001^.jpg

ve18sdv-12^1500x1001^.jpg

Yes that’s Sync 3.4, the standard Sync 3.0 (there’s also Sync 3.3 on post 2018.5 cars) in the picture below it can be unofficially updated to 3.4 at the link below, some people on this forum have done it.

https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/update-ford-sync-3-2-2-3-0-to-version-3-4-all-years-3-4-19200/

1 hour ago, dtulip8 said:

Yes that’s Sync 3.4, the standard Sync 3.0 (there’s also Sync 3.3 on post 2018.5 cars) in the picture below it can be unofficially updated to 3.4 at the link below, some people on this forum have done it.

https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/update-ford-sync-3-2-2-3-0-to-version-3-4-all-years-3-4-19200/

Wow it seems very strange that Ford don't update it themselves especially if the hardware can cope with it. Not sure if I'll be giving that a go especially if you have to do something completely separate just to get radio logos!

23 minutes ago, aydamstoidy said:

Wow it seems very strange that Ford don't update it themselves especially if the hardware can cope with it. Not sure if I'll be giving that a go especially if you have to do something completely separate just to get radio logos!

I know the hardware on the factory 3.4 vehicles is different somehow, I think the unofficial update is slightly different to the official version somehow? I’m not too sure on it really.

I assume that the auto update screen wont pull 3.4 on from 3.0 on a 18 then?

21 minutes ago, Tom44 said:

I assume that the auto update screen wont pull 3.4 on from 3.0 on a 18 then?

3.0 won't update higher than 3.0

3.2 will update to 3.3, it may update to 3.4, we don't know yet. 3.4 is only on new builds, Ford have not released it as an OTA.

53 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

3.0 won't update higher than 3.0

3.2 will update to 3.3, it may update to 3.4, we don't know yet. 3.4 is only on new builds, Ford have not released it as an OTA.

I guess you can't or would it not be a good idea to do the "force update" using the links above from 3.0 - 3.4 in your opinion?

11 minutes ago, Tom44 said:

I guess you can't or would it not be a good idea to do the "force update" using the links above from 3.0 - 3.4 in your opinion?

Different partition layout, also might need some forscan tweaks, it can be done, but it's all unofficial and unsupported.

You have to wipe the system and re-program it with leaked factory tools. It can't be reversed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Different partition layout, also might need some forscan tweaks, it can be done, but it's all unofficial and unsupported.

You have to wipe the system and re-program it with leaked factory tools. It can't be reversed.

Yeah i think just sticking with 3.0 may be the way to go. What are the differences? In that link it mentions about Android Auto being able to show on the dash cluster which I didn't think would be possible and I've not seen that mentioned anywhere. It also mentions Map updates although I thought that would still apply in 3.0

3.0 is ahead of 3.3 for map updates at the moment anyway. Lol. 

26 minutes ago, aydamstoidy said:

In that link it mentions about Android Auto being able to show on the dash cluster which I didn't think would be possible and I've not seen that mentioned anywhere. 

You can use Android Auto and Apple Car Play with Sync 3. Lots of stuff about it on line, including on the owners area of Ford's own website, plus "how to" videos on YouTube. A lot of people also seem to use the Waze navigation app. 

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You can use Android Auto and Apple Car Play with Sync 3. Lots of stuff about it on line, including on the owners area of Ford's own website, plus "how to" videos on YouTube. A lot of people also seem to use the Waze navigation app. 

Does it mean things like Google Maps directions from AA appearing in the cluster like built in nav does?

15 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Does it mean things like Google Maps directions from AA appearing in the cluster like built in nav does?

It does. It's all pretty clear from the instructions and video on the Ford site, as I say. Was trying to load a link but I'm in a bad signal area at present and it won't work! Just Google "Ford Sync 3 android auto" or similar and lots of stuff should come up. Not downloaded it myself as I never use satnav anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It does. It's all pretty clear from the instructions and video on the Ford site, as I say. Was trying to load a link but I'm in a bad signal area at present and it won't work! Just Google "Ford Sync 3 android auto" or similar and lots of stuff should come up. Not downloaded it myself as I never use satnav anyway. 

Do you know if it’s the same with CarPlay? Hopefully getting the Fiesta back in September so would be cool to have.

37 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Do you know if it’s the same with CarPlay? Hopefully getting the Fiesta back in September so would be cool to have.

Sync 3 supports both. From what I've seen in the online videos the screen views look pretty similar (and a lot better than the Sync screen imo) but I've never even looked at an I-phone so wouldn't know how AA and Carplay differ functionality-wise. Plenty of info on the Ford site, You Tube etc. As I mentioned, can't comment from personal experience as I don't bother with satnav, I just looked up the info when I got my car out of interest. 

I think there are several members on here who have used AA or Carplay so it may be worth you opening a specific thread if you want to get user experience? (There's probably an old thread somewhere if you could find one and don't mind risking an old thread resurrection message from @Stoney871!) 😀 

54 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Sync 3 supports both. From what I've seen in the online videos the screen views look pretty similar (and a lot better than the Sync screen imo) but I've never even looked at an I-phone so wouldn't know how AA and Carplay differ functionality-wise. Plenty of info on the Ford site, You Tube etc. As I mentioned, can't comment from personal experience as I don't bother with satnav, I just looked up the info when I got my car out of interest. 

I think there are several members on here who have used AA or Carplay so it may be worth you opening a specific thread if you want to get user experience? (There's probably an old thread somewhere if you could find one and don't mind risking an old thread resurrection message from @Stoney871!) 😀 

You may not remember but I do actually have a 2019 ST-Line, it’s on temporary loan to my father over the summer 😎. The Focus in my profile will become my mothers car if all goes to plan. I was wondering if the google maps directions will be able to appear on the cluster in future updates, as I don’t remember them doing so when I used it CarPlay previously.

40 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

You may not remember but I do actually have a 2019 ST-Line

Certainly do. If you were using Apple previously then presumably you would have to switch to an Android phone to get the Googlemaps. 

33 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Certainly do. If you were using Apple previously then presumably you would have to switch to an Android phone to get the Googlemaps. 

Haha wasn’t sure by the way you’d worded it lol (though that’s probably more to do with the way I read it) 😂. I keep meaning Apple Maps not Googlemaps, I just call them the same thing for some reason. I’ll have a fiddle with an Android phone and have a look 😃

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

😂I keep meaning Apple Maps not Googlemaps, I just call them the same thing for some reason. 😃

Lol if a bright young man like you can't remember the difference between Google and Apple, what hope is there for us old dinosaurs? 😀 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not sure if i was clear enough sorry! I mean in the trip computer part in between the speedo and rev counter. That link says AA will also show on there which I didnt think would be possible. I'm fully aware it works on the regular centre console!

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol if a bright young man like you can't remember the difference between Google and Apple, what hope is there for us old dinosaurs? 😀 

Haha it’s because when I first got an iPhone they were still Google Maps, changed to Apple Maps a few years ago but I can’t remember when.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, aydamstoidy said:

Not sure if i was clear enough sorry! I mean in the trip computer part in between the speedo and rev counter. That link says AA will also show on there which I didnt think would be possible. 

Ah! From your posts I assumed you were unhappy with the "Windows 3, circa 1990" look of the standard Sync screen, and were looking for something that looked better.

Don't know I'm afraid, I only had a brief mess about with AA when I first got my car, decided it was no particular benefit to me personally, and deleted it again, but I was only looking at the Sync screen. I reserve the driver information screen for the big digital mph display in the "My View" function, to (hopefully) avoid committing further misdemeanours.

@dtulip8 having used Carplay, are you able to answer Adam's query, Daniel?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club