Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake lights always on when lights are on

When the car lights are on the brake lights are always illuminated

I’ve checked the switches by the pedal just in case and even if I compress them fully the brake lights stay on

The lights work to an extent, if I press the brakes the brake lights brighten but if I let go of the pedal they stay on. 

is this a fuse issue or has a wire burnt out somewhere or something? 

any help or pointers appreciated, my apologies if it’s an obvious fix 

3 minutes ago, ManxFord said:

is this a fuse issue

You need a special on/off brake light fuse

4 minutes ago, ManxFord said:

if I press the brakes the brake lights brighten but if I let go of the pedal they stay on.

I think you have a Bright / Dim fuse fitted

Just an after thought, is this car new to you ? Have you been driving for very long ?

10 minutes ago, unofix said:

You need a special on/off brake light fuse

I think you have a Bright / Dim fuse fitted

Just an after thought, is this car new to you ? Have you been driving for very long ?

yes it’s relatively new to me, it’s a 2017 model though. 
Also I realise after re-reading I probably should have clarified (I’ll edit the original post accordingly) but its only when the main lights are on, during the day the brake lights behave as they should.

could this still be the bright/dim fuse issue? If so I’ll source the right fuse and replace it

thanks for the reply

Hello Jordan, OK so I've had my joke with you.

Your lights are fine, more than half of all cars on the road have combined tail light and brake lights. The tail lights are Dim, the brake lights are Bright.

I do worry about your driving, how have you not noticed that there are 10's of thousands of cars all with brake lights like yours.

Finally just to clear the fuse issue. ALL fuses either work or they are blown (broken).

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hello Jordan, OK so I've had my joke with you.

Your lights are fine, more than half of all cars on the road have combined tail light and brake lights. The tail lights are Dim, the brake lights are Bright.

I do worry about your driving, how have you not noticed that there are 10's of thousands of cars all with brake lights like yours.

Finally just to clear the fuse issue. ALL fuses either work or they are blown (broken).

Electrics are a mystery to me so the fuse joke went over my head. And I understand about combined lights but I’ve had two different people follow me who’ve also noticed how it looks like I’m permanently on the brakes as they’re so bright. Just to try and clarify obviously when your rear lights are on they provide a certain level of light but it’s low light and significantly dimmer than the brake lights, but there’s a negligible difference between when I’m not pressing the brakes and when I am, the tail lights are positively glowing 

Take the lamps  out and check that they are the correct fitment (pin layout etc) and that they’ve been fitted correctly, I’ve seen people fit fit a 382 instead of a 380 and that causes similar issues to yours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarksST said:

Take the lamps  out and check that they are the correct fitment (pin layout etc) and that they’ve been fitted correctly, I’ve seen people fit fit a 382 instead of a 380 and that causes similar issues to yours.

Thank you!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club