Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petition re Excessive car insurance increases

TrevorB

59 minutes ago, tazzman600 said:

...However I've stayed with the RAC because they offered me 1 year free breakdown and recovery service. That's about a hundred quid or so...

Just noticed that, I get breakdown insurance in Northern Ireland for £25. It includes cover to Southern Ireland too which is useful as AA/RAC think Southern Ireland is worthy of a costly upgrade to 'EU' countries!

Not sure if you can buy it from mainland UK but it's a bargain.

https://misclaims.com/breakdown-recovery/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just noticed that, I get breakdown insurance in Northern Ireland for £25. It includes cover to Southern Ireland too which is useful as AA/RAC think Southern Ireland is worthy of a costly upgrade to 'EU' countries!

Not sure if you can buy it from mainland UK but it's a bargain.

https://misclaims.com/breakdown-recovery/

That's about standard price for recovery only here which does not include cover at home and only covers a max distance of 10 miles for recovery to a garage. 

• Sad 1

Still waiting for my renewal notice which is due shortly, but been doing some research in advance. No changes in car/drivers since last year, but general vibe so far is increases of up to £200 which is +50 to 60% on current figure.

Exception so far is LV, who are quoting a similar premium to my current policy, so much cheaper. Never used them - anyone had experience, good or bad?

13 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Exception so far is LV,

I've used them, and/or their subsidiaries for the last 10 years.

Never needed to make a claim (fingers crossed it stays like that) so can't comment on what they would be like if I needed them to do something.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Still waiting for my renewal notice which is due shortly,

Now turned up showing an approx 25% increase in current premium. However, investigation revealed that excesses had been reduced substantially compared to previous year (change of underwriters, apparently) so I did some further tweaking of the online quotes to get an exact "like for like" comparison with other insurers.

Conclusion of the tale is that after a discussion on the 'phone the existing insurer (Saga 'cos I'm old) matched the LV quote so I left it with them for this year. Very impressed with LVs online quote system though.

Regarding other insurers, I wonder if anyone ever gets a different quote from Churchill vs Direct Line? I know they're part of the same group, but I understood they were supposed to operate as separate companies? I've never found quotes differed by more than a few pence, if that.

• Like 4

Blimey. Saga? My brother and I found them to be one almighty rip off merchant. Oh this went on about 30 years ago. My Dad only drove to church and back once a week. A total for the year of 50 miles. Saga, who he'd been with for a few years wanted just over £500. That's a feckin tenner a mile. After deliberation with me and my brother he decided to give up driving. His age? 71 and fitter than most of us on here.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, tazzman600 said:

...His age? 71 and fitter than most of us on here.

Now, that is young. Mum gave up at 85, and even then that was after a stroke...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tazzman600 said:

. Oh this went on about 30 years ago.

Can only comment on the here and now, I was still too young 30 years ago. 

We've found them pretty competitive since qualifying as "old", though I do shop around a lot and go elsewhere. Friends of ours have also had decent premiums, for stuff including Range Rover Sport, Impreza WRX, Merc C63AMG, Nissan GTR, so they don't just insure Honda Jazz owners!😀

I can see why 50 miles a year could be a problem. Insurers see too little mileage as a risk (not enough practice, I guess) as well as too much mileage, so it's trying to figure out a sweet spot.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:01 PM, Nick Y said:
I thought insurance companies could no longer rip-off loyal customers with higher renewal premiums than those of new customers. 

Yes, that's true for car insurance (and home ins I think). So you can keep an eye on that when you get your renewal quote.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been quoted less than £280 for car insurance this year?

I've just tried LV who quoted £200 more than my renewal.  (Which was already £80 more than last year).  But then noticed LV's ad claiming quotes 'from' £299 online.  If that's their minimum price, they weren't going to beat my £280 renewal... :ermm:

I've tried a few other places, all quoting £350-£500ish (excluding the silly quotes).  Will probably stick with my current insurer now.  Just interested to hear the lowest on here this year.

• Sad 1

I bought a new 65" TV and was going to sell the old 50" TV but due to my car insurance renewal going up the TV fell down the stairs, in despair

Good old new for old

• Haha 3

I was watching the Gadget Show yesterday (although it's called something else now).  They were testing the cheapest TV they could find.  It was a Smart TV for under £100 which sounds decent.  The youth's on the test said it was ok, but only for a secondary area such as a bedroom or kitchen.  It was 32"!  I thought that was plenty big enough. :laugh: 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I was watching the Gadget Show yesterday (although it's called something else now).  They were testing the cheapest TV they could find.  It was a Smart TV for under £100 which sounds decent.  The youth's on the test said it was ok, but only for a secondary area such as a bedroom or kitchen.  It was 32"!  I thought that was plenty big enough. :laugh: 

I caught that show too by accident LOL I stumbled upon an LED torch review, I'm a sucker for a good torch. That TV was unbelievable good value at £100, if I was in the market, I wouldn't have hesitated! I remember 30 odd years ago spending £700 for a top of the range CRT, Sony 26" LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I just scrape in! £276 for me on a 23 year old Toyota Yaris, with maximum excess (£500), and limited to 4000miles/year... (Sterling Insurance)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I've just tried LV who quoted £200 more than my renewal. 

Short answer is no! But I found LV very competitive so a bit surprised at that.

I only stuck with my current insurer as they matched LVs quote. In retrospect I wish I hadn't as they c*cked up taking the payment (and not for the first time) so I ended up spending ages on the phone sorting it out!😡

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I was watching the Gadget Show yesterday (

I used to like that.

What's it called now ? and do you which of the 900 channels its on please ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

I used to like that.

What's it called now ? and do you which of the 900 channels its on please ?

Now reborn as, 'Shop Smart Save Money', presented on Ch5...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

'Shop Smart Save Money', presented on Ch5.

Thanks for that. I'll see if I can get it on catch-up

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, unofix said:

I used to like that.

I use to love Suzy Perry as a presenter, purely for very inappropriate reasons 🤣

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, unofix said:

and do you which of the 900 channels its on please ?

I use Freeview.  So it's just a single number 5 for me. :biggrin: 

• Like 1

If anyone from TV licencing is viewing i dont watch any live TV allegedly, and have not done the last 6 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

If anyone from TV licencing is viewing i dont watch any live TV allegedly, and have not done the last 6 years.

They class "youtube" as live TV now

38 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

They class "youtube" as live TV now

Understandable, as they now show random ads every 6 minutes, just like a TV station does!!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Understandable, as they now show random ads every 6 minutes, just like a TV station does!!

They do.

Getting very annoying

• Like 1

Nope dont do Youtube, occasional reels on FB on specific subjects, Whose line is it anyway, Jeff Dunham, some music and woodworking tools and projects, mainly Video downloads and games. So called LIVE tv is highly over-rated.

You can block youtube ads with certain blockers.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club