Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I've never had an issue on my Fiesta or last three Foci...

I use my door mirrors far too much to go more than a few metres without noticing they were folded in, lol.
I probably use them more than my rear view sometimes.

On most Lexus they don't from what I've seen...

On my dad's LRs they have, fold when locked and unfold when unlocked..you can press a button to fold them though. 

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm often one of those idiots driving with the mirrors folded in since getting a car with powerfold...  Usually realise before exiting whichever car park I'm in tbf but not always when it's dark, what surprises me is that no-ones ever pointed it out!! 

If I notice someone's mirrors folded or fuel flap open etc I try to let them know.

I don't like that I'm now 24.  Will be heading out first thing for a pipe and slippers... :sad: 

I didn't realise they didn't unfurl as you started up!

That has the advantage of getting through some very narrow gaps, like the one of the exits the car park of one motor factor I use in Parkstone:smile::smile:

5 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I've never had an issue on my Fiesta or last three Foci...

I use my door mirrors far too much to go more than a few metres without noticing they were folded in, lol.
I probably use them more than my rear view sometimes.

I do that, without the need to check my furled/unfurled status as I don't have powerfold mirrors at the moment

I only really use the side mirrors for parking myself, keep a constant eye on the rear view mirror though, and do a quick blindspot check before changing lanes rather than relying on a convex mirror lol.

I had read that the PF mirrors on the older Fiestas were rubbish, so rubbish in fact that they fitted later ones with manual mirrors!  Not sure if the early Focus ones are any better so I'd rather not chance it lol.

The early Focus ones are the ones bulging end indicators: whereas the Mk2.5 ones have linear strip type indicator, I think

I want to do the powerfold mirror upgrade but haven't looked yet in my door, what I need to add.  They're currently just heated and electric.

I'll certainly need a different door module, the relay and a further loom for folding motor and puddle lamps, the dual purpose door switch and I'll have to rewire my side indicators to the mirrors.  No doubt they'll need adding with ELMconfig, I doubt they'll be plug'n'play

I did find it odd that new powerfold mirrors from Ford Parts UK were almost the same price as the breakers were asking for used ones.

Hmm, mine are bulgy on a 2008, the earliest facelift model.  Maybe it's the Mk3 where they become smooth?

I don't think I'd go to the effort of retrofitting them.  I couldn't drive any length of time without things like cruise control nowadays and would spend triple figures adding that but I can take or leave the mirrors, they're useful, but useful enough for me to pay for. :smile: 

I don't like that I've managed to waste 43 minutes on the laptop between emails, facebook and forums when I should've been washing up.  Really can't be bothered to do it now it's so late but it needs doing lol! :sad: 

On a forum related 'don't like', I keep getting a blank white screen when trying to jump to the end page of a thread using the numbers or arrows etc (but not the blue star or dot).  Pressing the 'back' arrow in the browser immediately loads the page I want though.  It's not a huge hassle but maybe something for staff to look into?

2 hours ago, SeanW said:

The guidlines are for 10% + 2mph if I remember rightly

But they are only that, guidelines

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

It varies by county/force.

AFAIK dorset works on 10% + 2mph. Then there is a band after that for qualifying for DAC then it's points/fine or straight to court.

Not any more.

It's a flat 10% now with no other leeway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, mine are bulgy on a 2008, the earliest facelift model.  Maybe it's the Mk3 where they become smooth?

I don't think I'd go to the effort of retrofitting them.  I couldn't drive any length of time without things like cruise control nowadays and would spend triple figures adding that but I can take or leave the mirrors, they're useful, but useful enough for me to pay for. :smile: 

Maybe, they're listed for 2010 model, perhaps it's an early registered Mk3

I have a very narrow drive at the top, the Focus is wider than the Astra is, if I could fold the mirrors in, it would make getting the wheelie bins in/out and the wheelbarrows full of manure/chipped shrubbery a lot easier.  The blue recycling bin is always challenging to get past the Mk2:sad:

Whilst I've had plenty of cars with cruise control, I rarely use it.  What I have missed in using the Mk1 over the last week, is the automatic wipers and lights.  The suspension geometry set up on the mk1 makes for a better fun drive but Brandy falls over on fast corners.:laugh:  She's got used to softer Mk2 set up, where she sways but doesn't fall over

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Not any more.

It's a flat 10% now with no other leeway.

*Sets cruise control to 77mph* :biggrin: 

6 minutes ago, GMX said:

Maybe, they're listed for 2010 model, perhaps it's an early registered Mk3

I have a very narrow drive at the top, the Focus is wider than the Astra is, if I could fold the mirrors in, it would make getting the wheelie bins in/out and the wheelbarrows full of manure/chipped shrubbery a lot easier.  The blue recycling bin is always challenging to get past the Mk2:sad:

Whilst I've had plenty of cars with cruise control, I rarely use it.  What I have missed in using the Mk1 over the last week, is the automatic wipers and lights.  The suspension geometry set up on the mk1 makes for a better fun drive but Brandy falls over on fast corners.:laugh:  She's got used to softer Mk2 set up, where she sways but doesn't fall over

You could manually fold one mirror to bring the bin past?  I can understand why you'd benefit from them more than me though. :smile:

Auto lights and wipers and another feature I really like.  All the phase 3 306s came with auto-wipers so I've had them on every long term car since my second.  For the week they were broken on the Focus (due to Autoglass breaking the sensor!) I remembered just how useful they are!!

You're lucky Brandy doesn't get nauseous in the Mk1 lol!  :laugh: 

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

*Sets cruise control to 77mph* :biggrin: 

You could manually fold one mirror to bring the bin past?  I can understand why you'd benefit from them more than me though. :smile:

Auto lights and wipers and another feature I really like.  All the phase 3 306s came with auto-wipers so I've had them on every long term car since my second.  For the week they were broken on the Focus (due to Autoglass breaking the sensor!) I remembered just how useful they are!!

You're lucky Brandy doesn't get nauseous in the Mk1 lol!  :laugh: 

I do that already, and then sort hug the bin using my right outer arm as buffer in case of bin to Focus touching.

Brandy conquered her car nausea in the BMW 740, on the full leather upholstery:sad:

I got her from Dog's Trust in the January and it took her until the August before we had vomit free journeys.  What was odd was she just stopped one day halfway through a journey

When I had some paintwork resprayed, we had a new courtesy BMW 325, it was still during Brandy's car sick period.:unsure:  When I mentioned it to the bodyshop upon returning the car, that the dog has been sick in it every time. :rolleyes: The chap said "oh don't worry about it, we have had courtesy cars returned with a lot worse than daily dog vomit!"

I missed the auto-wipers when circumstances forced me to switch from the 406: to the free Astra

Auto wipers are something I don't think I could get my head around...  Flicking the wiper stalk is instinctive (even though I'm a "new" driver) immediately upon any moisture reaching the windscreen.  I think I probably react quicker than a sensor could too.  But, for some it could be distracting so I do understand their purpose, like automatic transmissions.

The only thing that is auto on the Astra is the interior light coming on, when the door is opened, and even that is hit and miss:laugh:

Conversely, the BMW740 had near enough everything auto

45 minutes ago, GMX said:

The only thing that is auto on the Astra is the interior light coming on, when the door is opened, and even that is hit and miss:laugh:

Conversely, the BMW740 had near enough everything auto

Haha, yeah - the MK4 Fiesta was a bit like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GMX said:

I do that already, and then sort hug the bin using my right outer arm as buffer in case of bin to Focus touching.

Brandy conquered her car nausea in the BMW 740, on the full leather upholstery:sad:

I got her from Dog's Trust in the January and it took her until the August before we had vomit free journeys.  What was odd was she just stopped one day halfway through a journey

When I had some paintwork resprayed, we had a new courtesy BMW 325, it was still during Brandy's car sick period.:unsure:  When I mentioned it to the bodyshop upon returning the car, that the dog has been sick in it every time. :rolleyes: The chap said "oh don't worry about it, we have had courtesy cars returned with a lot worse than daily dog vomit!"

I missed the auto-wipers when circumstances forced me to switch from the 406: to the free Astra

Full leather is easier to clean than cloth fortunately!  That is one thing I can't stand though, even at home, absolutely dread myself or anyone else getting ill while out.  Made worse by the fact I get terrible nausea even with my own driving (possibly anxiety induced though)...  Happened yesterday in fact, so I pulled over by the river estuary...yeah, seeing the choppy water did not help the situation lol. 

I'm intrigued as to what's worse that the cars come back covered in now... :unsure:  Though that does remind me of a Mk1 Mondeo my Dad bought a few years ago, there was a recorded cassette tape of R Kelly in the stereo and stiletto marks in the headlining...  I dread to think what else was in there! :laugh: 

9 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Auto wipers are something I don't think I could get my head around...  Flicking the wiper stalk is instinctive (even though I'm a "new" driver) immediately upon any moisture reaching the windscreen.  I think I probably react quicker than a sensor could too.  But, for some it could be distracting so I do understand their purpose, like automatic transmissions.

I guarantee you wouldn't react quicker than the sensor.  It reacts in milliseconds lol.  You've also got the advantage of having many speeds on auto setting, compared to just intermittent which is always too fast or too slow.  Best thing about them is when you or someone coming towards you hits a massive unexpected puddle and 'sheets' your screen instantly removing all visibility the auto wipers cut in before you even realise what's happened! :smile: 

• Like 2

I don't like selling cars...  Not because I necessarily want to keep it (Fiat Punto), but just because it is a long and boring process.  Still, I've got to remind myself that I'm doing it (partially) to pay for a car that I've wanted since I was 8 years old - my own Peugeot 405.

• Like 1

Hmm, on an N reg, I wonder if that 406 has a Bosch fuel pump?  Easy to tweak for a bit more oomph AND can run veg oil with no issues... :biggrin: 

I don't like how long work has taken today + I've still got to go back.  Yawnnn.  At least It's something I enjoy

I don't like what has unfolded over the weekend, this is going to take years to find an acceptable resolution:sad: added to which there appears to be  serious criminal activity involved by one of the parties.:angry:  

I've spent most of the last 48 hours, with little sleep, researching case law, interspersed with talking to various lawyers and finding Statutory Instruments that might be of use. 

On lighter note, I've drunk far more coffee and tea than I normally do and don't like the "buzzing" sensation yet extremely tired that I now have, together with over-sensitivity to heat and cold, and of course the torso cramps that are part and parcel of sleep deprivation:sad:

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Full leather is easier to clean than cloth fortunately!  That is one thing I can't stand though, even at home, absolutely dread myself or anyone else getting ill while out.  Made worse by the fact I get terrible nausea even with my own driving (possibly anxiety induced though)...  Happened yesterday in fact, so I pulled over by the river estuary...yeah, seeing the choppy water did not help the situation lol. 

I'm intrigued as to what's worse that the cars come back covered in now... :unsure:  Though that does remind me of a Mk1 Mondeo my Dad bought a few years ago, there was a recorded cassette tape of R Kelly in the stereo and stiletto marks in the headlining...  I dread to think what else was in there! :laugh: 

I guarantee you wouldn't react quicker than the sensor.  It reacts in milliseconds lol.  You've also got the advantage of having many speeds on auto setting, compared to just intermittent which is always too fast or too slow.  Best thing about them is when you or someone coming towards you hits a massive unexpected puddle and 'sheets' your screen instantly removing all visibility the auto wipers cut in before you even realise what's happened! :smile: 

He wasn't forthcoming as to what was worse, but whatever it was, Brandy's travel sickness was better:huh:

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, on an N reg, I wonder if that 406 has a Bosch fuel pump?  Easy to tweak for a bit more oomph AND can run veg oil with no issues... :biggrin: 

I know someone who saves all his cooking oil, the oil from tins of fish, the oil from olives at Tesco's deli counter and oil he collects from anyone who has waste etc., he then passes it through a coffee filter and straight into the tank of his Merc 190.  Claims the only time he's paid for fuel was when he bought in the mid 1990's and needed a gallon to get it home:laugh:

• Like 1

Lol, that's not really the way to do it! :laugh:

When using waste veg it needs to be a filtered a bit better than that, water needs removing as well.  I daren't think how often he has to change the fuel filter lol! :laugh: 

Fresh veg is still cheap from Costco etc though, no filtering hassle and half the price of diesel!!  The downside for me is the chip shop smell though, can't stand it lol!

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, that's not really the way to do it! :laugh:

When using waste veg it needs to be a filtered a bit better than that, water needs removing as well.  I daren't think how often he has to change the fuel filter lol! :laugh: 

Fresh veg is still cheap from Costco etc though, no filtering hassle and half the price of diesel!!  The downside for me is the chip shop smell though, can't stand it lol!

This is the same chap who collects and saves urine, both his, his wife,  and his guests, for his compost bin as an accelerator :laugh:

In his loo, there's are several 10 litre jugs, in various states of fill.  Upon the cistern is a sign saying "No.2 in the loo - No.1 in the jugs - Thankyou" :shocking:

Jeez he must use a lot of oil I bet his cholesterol is through the roof

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club